Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-11-2006, 12:48 PM

Culling Puppies :-(

I've recently found out through speaking to someone that has been recently sold a puppy that the breeder they brought their pup from culls heavily within litters they produce to prevent throw backs

Why is this barbaric practice still going on? And would anyone buy a pup from someone who admitted doing this? Because I know I wouldn't
sutty
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2006, 12:52 PM
god no, how barbaric is that. i thought that practise went out with the dark ages
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-11-2006, 12:54 PM
Why do they cull them ? Is the ones that have defects they cull ?
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2006, 12:57 PM
Sorry what does this mean?
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2006, 01:00 PM
do you mean culling deformed puppies ?
throw backs from what any more info ?
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2006, 01:03 PM
Originally Posted by DobieGirl View Post

It's a nice(er) word for kill
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2006, 01:04 PM
DobieGirl.

Culling means something (normally an animal) is picked out in some way and killed. For instance you have deer culls, where the old or sick deers are killed in a humane way. Or when Bird Flu was in the news, Flocks were culled near the site of infection.
This post obviously referes to puppies In the old days it was a bucket of water or a blunt instrument to get rid of the deformed, week or sickly puppies. In this day and age it is now normally done at the vets if there is a legitaimate health problem with the pups and done with an injection.

I think the original poster wasn't referring this was being done though, that the breeder was doing it.
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-11-2006, 01:04 PM
Originally Posted by DobieGirl View Post
I'm guessing you asked that because you not sure on the term culling ? It means they were killed.

What kind of deformities would the pup have to have for it to be culled ?
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2006, 01:10 PM
How disgusting!!! Ive heard of someone killing pups that were not doing too well rather then putting the time into handraising them themselves and I think this is bad enough let alone actively culling pups that arnt up to standard.

When my MIL had a litter we had one little girl who never seemed to grow who we eventually lost to pneumonia but we at least know we did everything we could for her, my MIL took her to the vets repeatedly to check whether it was time to let her have peace or to keep fighting and paid alot of money on treatment for her, we spent two weeks handrearing her, I couldnt imagine just sitting back and letting her die when theres a chance of helping her!
There was also a little boy pup in the litter who was born last breach birth wasnt breathing and needed helping to get going and the dam just wouldnt accept him, so we handraised him also and he did great and went on the be the biggest of the litter, but wouldnt have made it if we hadnt of taken him out and handreared him!
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-11-2006, 01:29 PM
I was told that pups are culled by this breeder for many reasons for instance what they consider to be the wrong colour (yet theres nothing written in stone stating that any colour produced within this breed is 'wrong') most colours being welcomed and embraced within the standard.
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »