Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2007, 02:51 PM

Feeding up a JRT, advise needed please

Hi Guys,

I have Archie, a one year old JRT, for over a month now.
I fed him Bakers complete (as fed in his old home) for the first week, then gradually changed him over to Burns chicken and rice.

He was underweight when I got him, very ribby and boney. He has put on some weight in the time I've had him, though I'd like him to put on a little more. (He has also lost a little in this last week, i feel due to us having two different guide dogs here to stay.)

He was very hyper when I first got him, but has calmed down alot, though still likes to be kept busy (typical jrt). He is very bald on his underside (wears a coat when out)and although a very determined character he does shiver and shake at times - perhaps with nerves.

He needs bathing every week or so, cos he is a smelly dog, I thought this might have improved with the feed change, but it hasn't. He also farts alot. At home his stools are generally fine to slightly soft, but out and about on walks they are very liquid.

I am considering changing his feed to Burns High energy lamb or Canine extra. Or is there other feeds (that DO NOT test on animals!) that you would recommend?

Thanks guys!!
Gina&Jaz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-01-2007, 03:36 PM
Could you try mixing naturediet in with the burns? I know quite a few people who do this.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2007, 10:26 AM
Hi,

I haven't seen Naturediet in shops around here, but I will have a look out for it.
:smt001
Kanikula
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2007, 10:45 AM
My JRT is a little on the skinny side (and Fly before her), but she is muscular. Dont forget JRT are energetic dogs and will look more on the lean side (but sturdy). Can you post a side piccie of him so i can take a peek.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2007, 12:02 PM
Hi,

I will try and take some later this afternoon.
My camera is a phone camera, not great quality. Even photos from when he first came here didn't show how ribby he was. Thanks for your reply. :smt001
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2007, 12:37 PM
Arden Grange don't do invasive animal testing procedures, after all it must be tested on animals as they have to feed it too them lol!
Becky
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2007, 04:10 PM
Will have a look at their range, thanks. :smt001
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2007, 05:43 PM
Looking at the Arden Grange site, I can't see any real benefits on changing from Burns to this. I've ordered some Burns High Energy Lamb, so will see if this helps. I'm hoping the increase in protien won't make him hyper....

Here's the pics as promised. I feel in the flesh he looks more ribby than these though...

Kanikula
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2007, 07:10 PM
Hi Evie

Sorry not posted been at work He does look al little on the fine side and a little tucked up in the belly, but not massively. i think the main problem is not his weight, hes lacking in muscle...

Has he been weighed and checked at the vets? Are his poos ok?
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2007, 08:06 PM
I would say he looks OK, I prefer my dogs on the leaner side, more healthy for them.
Becky
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >