View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2011, 08:42 PM
Choice hearing? She is a puppy!! How is she supposed to know wot u mean?

Such blanket statements about a breed when you've only had one for a matter of weeks!! Unfair and uninformed!!

Agression? What the heck are u doing? Of course puppys bite that's partly why they have baby teeth!

Then again,if I remember rightly it was you that thought 'all big dogs should be muzzled'

Me thinks its you that could have 'agression issues'
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2011, 08:44 PM
Originally Posted by pippam View Post
Thats an urban myth and easy conclussion to make from an experienced dog owner to one who isnt its not nice to make judgement like that.

we never did anything to encourage her bitting she just found she could get her way through bitting plus she is bright and has choice hearing making her almost impossible to correct.
Of course she is bright! Thats the trouble---spaniels are often cleverer than their owners.

I thought from the fact that you came on this thread to give advice that you were experienced---didn't realise this was your first dog.

The first thing you have to do is stop thinking of your pup as being stubborn and having selective hearing. Pups do what works for them----you have to make her want to hear you every time.

Do you use titbits and toys as rewards for good behaviour? It is a challenge to have a day not saying 'no' to a pup----not confronting the pup, working round situations rather than jumping in and getting cross.

rune
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2011, 08:49 PM
One of the quickest ways to tire a puppy is to exercise their brain, start teaching sits, lays, walking to heel, just a few minutes a few times a day will help to tire them out.
Ah we did well with this for a while and then Millie decided she didn't want to lay down and her nipping my hand turned into bitting -.-

Give them things that are acceptable to do with their teeth, ours loved to rip up a cardboard box and would be worn out trying to find the odd treat which we sometimes put in them.
Nothing no toy will were Millie she is relentless and determined when her mind is made up even long walks do nothing to her energy levels

Also teach them to chill on their own sometimes, so they get used to you being around but not always involved.
Ive started doing this now she likes the solitude and is fine with me leaving her on her own she is very good at chilling after meal times I think its helping a little:>

You need help with this Pup - Now, yesterday!
im looking for a trainer in my area but their are one or two con artists one of which I met at a show at the weekend im quite cross really as she charges £200 and apparently her only recomendation is to keep a slip lead on at all times and change your attitude -.-

I live in Essex any trainer close to Southend on sea or easily accessible by public transport would be greatly appreciated if recomended thanks :>>
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2011, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Of course she is bright! Thats the trouble---spaniels are often cleverer than their owners.

I thought from the fact that you came on this thread to give advice that you were experienced---didn't realise this was your first dog.

The first thing you have to do is stop thinking of your pup as being stubborn and having selective hearing. Pups do what works for them----you have to make her want to hear you every time.

Do you use titbits and toys as rewards for good behaviour? It is a challenge to have a day not saying 'no' to a pup----not confronting the pup, working round situations rather than jumping in and getting cross.

rune
This is why i would strongly recommend a suitable training class, i learnt a huge amount about how to train/understand my dog and that combined with no end of reading has i hope given me dogs that other people say are exceptionally happy looking and well behaved. I would have not been able to do it without help and being prepared to learn, the dog needed me to do that, and it is the least we can do for them! It sounds just normal puppy behaviour and if a trainer sees and confirms this then it will be easier dealt with and more understandable.
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2011, 09:14 PM

The first thing you have to do is stop thinking of your pup as being stubborn and having selective hearing. Pups do what works for them----you have to make her want to hear you every time.-----

Thats tricky once she starts bitting a paticular thing she wants to bite it and will growl at me if I say no to her and will bite me if I repeat she wants to bite thats the scairy thing and not puppy bitting its actual bitting she is being agressive thats whats upsetting.

I can sometimes distract her with something else but if she wants to bite something say the chair im sitting on she will all ways go back to it she is not being playfull when she growls, snarls she means to hurt

Do you use titbits and toys as rewards for good behaviour? It is a challenge to have a day not saying 'no' to a pup----not confronting the pup, working round situations rather than jumping in and getting cross. --

Since I have been using treats to reward her when she does something I want she follows me around thinking I have treats around and jumps up -.-
I all ways praise good behavior but it seems she wants to bite I know very well she is puppy and puppies bite but her bites turn agressive and can be very painfull sometimes she will bite for no apparent reason if I correct she will almost lunge at me sometimes bitting harder this doesnt happen often but its happened.
rune
I know this isnt normal behavior for a pup she is very difficult at home outside she is angel I know she would never bite anyone else so i dont understand what may have caused her to go from playfull bitting to full on sinking teeth in

she's an odd pup mum and I were chatting yesterday and she began making wiered waling noises like she was trying to join in. I don't get bad behavior from her all the time and in the last week she has got a little better.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2011, 09:20 PM
How do you 'correct' her?

That sounds like a confrontation and if you confront a clever dog of any age you are likely to get bitten.

The idea is to be brighter than they are and find ways round the situations.

You will also end up with a dog that will not be touched by her collar if you are not careful.

I honestly don't think you are understanding that this situation is NOT the pups fault.

If I had a pound for every spaniel owner that has been in your situation I would be rich---she is a normal pup.

rune
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2011, 09:25 PM

That sounds like a confrontation and if you confront a clever dog of any age you are likely to get bitten.

The idea is to be brighter than they are and find ways round the situations.

You will also end up with a dog that will not be touched by her collar if you are not careful.

I honestly don't think you are understanding that this situation is NOT the pups fault.

If I had a pound for every spaniel owner that has been in your situation I would be rich---she is a normal pup.

rune
I dont think it is limited to spaniel owners. Maybe i was just incredibly lucky with mine, but somehow i dont think so, i do think it came down to learning what to expect!
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2011, 09:44 PM
Not limited no---but very common.

You were really sensible with yours and listened to people and did the right things.

rune
Manyana13
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-07-2011, 09:44 PM
Cockers and spaniels in general are wonderful dogs and I think it is a real shame that you have made this generalisation. Mine is a working cocker x working springer - admittedly you would be hard pushed to find the springer in her but thats her mix. She is very very intelligent, so does need a lot of mental stimulation and thats not a problem. She also loves getting her teeth into the cardboard recycling! When in the house, she is so calm and chilled out, when outside, her high energy working strain comes out and she could run about outside, dig, chase, bury and run about even more all day long! She has the most amazing temprament, is great with kids and loves to play and sleep with the cats. Yes, when she was a pup she bit, she was a handful,she had selective hearing and just when I had thought I had mastered it all... she started with the selective hearing again at 6 months old! You will find that this is normal of puppies. Also, they give out what is put into them in some respects. Poppy has no behavioural issues, has brilliant recall and is an absolute gem but even at 15 months old, we still teach her more and reinforce everything we have taught her in the past. An awful lot of time, energy and training has gone into Poppy.

Pippam, I would highly recommend what has already been advised about training and 1-2-1 support. I believe that animals can sense stress and anxieties and if you are feeling the way you say you do about your pup - I bet she knows/feels it. I hope that you can get through this with your pup and understand each other. I wish you well with it.
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2011, 09:51 PM

Now I use toys to disract her I try to turn her attention to something else she is very difficult to convince she is good with tidbits but I dont like to use them a lot as I dont want her to get fat and I could go through hundred before she decides to finnally listen she would just not listen be interested in the food and then will follow me around jumping up at my hands to hopefully get something. Before I was recomended to put in a seperate room, puppy play pen or crate if she was naugty its called a timeout ignor bad behavior and encourage the good ect

That sounds like a confrontation and if you confront a clever dog of any age you are likely to get bitten. ---

I guess when you put it like that I never really saw it that way but now looking back I guess it was

The idea is to be brighter than they are and find ways round the situations. ---

Thats were im copping better even though it seems hopeless as she just doesn want to listen I know of a friend who's collie ( a bit older)) has gone through the same troubles but is ok now, im trying to correct her through distraction taking her mind off what she constrating on but sometimes she just wont listen or budge but I all ways feel a glimmer of hope when I get through to her

You will also end up with a dog that will not be touched by her collar if you are not careful.--

Im quite cross to hear this as this was advice I recieved from a book which said pulling them away by their collar can help get them off things grrrrr

I honestly don't think you are understanding that this situation is NOT the pups fault. --

Some things after reading some of your responses I feel are down to me im feeling cross because the advice I was given came from cockersonline another thing they recomend is putting a toy in the dogs mouth to distract it from bitting no wonder she bites me!!! Another thing that was recomended was to say ouch when she bites this just winds them up grrrrrr

rune

Glad to know its not just mine but I wonder how can recomend spaniels for kids if a lot are like this????
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >