Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Eceni
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-03-2008, 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by Colin View Post

I personally don't prey feed my dogs as Dobermanns were never a wild breed in the first place, so my lot get 2% of their body weight each day in meat.
That's truly interesting... when I was a vet, we used to have big breed dogs in fairly frequently with what we called 'ghost bones' - a very non-technical term for bones that folded into green stick fractures and showed up on x-ray as if we'd massively over-shot the film, when in fact the exposures were entirely correct, it was just that they had no calcium left and their bones were dissolving.

All of these were fed raw meat - so had massive K/Ca imbalances - too much K, too little Ca.

So - if you're feeding meat and your dogs are clearly doing well on it, how are you supplementing their calcium?

genuinely interested. I could never get my lurcher to eat anything raw except rabbit and dear (and the occasional squirrel that committed suicide by diving into her mouth) - and now she's ancient, she's decided not to eat anything except tinned cat food which is about as bad as it gets, but at 14 years old, I reckon she can eat what she likes.

But the next one is going raw from day one. If I can, I'll get a pup from a raw-feeding breeder (if there are any lurcher breeders who do that)

so I'm truly interested in the various models of raw feeding - all and any advice appreciated.

thanks

E
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-03-2008, 10:47 PM
Originally Posted by Eceni View Post
That's truly interesting... when I was a vet, we used to have big breed dogs in fairly frequently with what we called 'ghost bones' - a very non-technical term for bones that folded into green stick fractures and showed up on x-ray as if we'd massively over-shot the film, when in fact the exposures were entirely correct, it was just that they had no calcium left and their bones were dissolving.

All of these were fed raw meat - so had massive K/Ca imbalances - too much K, too little Ca.

So - if you're feeding meat and your dogs are clearly doing well on it, how are you supplementing their calcium?

genuinely interested. I could never get my lurcher to eat anything raw except rabbit and dear (and the occasional squirrel that committed suicide by diving into her mouth) - and now she's ancient, she's decided not to eat anything except tinned cat food which is about as bad as it gets, but at 14 years old, I reckon she can eat what she likes.

But the next one is going raw from day one. If I can, I'll get a pup from a raw-feeding breeder (if there are any lurcher breeders who do that)

so I'm truly interested in the various models of raw feeding - all and any advice appreciated.

thanks

E

Well other than the offal, all of the meat gets given to them on the bone so they also get the marrow as well.

The only thing that my lot get other then meat and offal are raw eggs. You see any eggs that aren't eaten by the family after a week just get dropped into a food bowl for the dogs.

So to answer your question I don't give them any supplements with their food.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2008, 11:39 PM
Originally Posted by Eceni View Post

All of these were fed raw meat - so had massive K/Ca imbalances - too much K, too little Ca. ......

E
For my mind of thinking a diet of raw meat only isn't a good diet for a dog. They also need bone and organ in order to gain the full benefit of a raw diet. Meat is the main component in the diet, but without the rest the dog will not have all the nutrients it needs, imo.
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4