Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2006, 12:38 PM

How often do you wash/change your dog bedding

I often get stick for constantly washing my dogs vet bed.
just wondered what your dogs sleep in/on and how often do you wash it,
If your dogs are kept outside in kennels what do you use and how often do you change it

I use vet bed indoors and wash it most days occasionaly if they have not dug or its been dry for a few days I can get 2 days out of it prior to washing
my outside dogs have straw in there beds its a deep jump in bed and its topped up weekly and skipped out about every 3 weeks and a totaly fresh bed put in,,,
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2006, 12:59 PM
IVE BEEN WASHING MY DOGS BLANKETS EVERY DAY COS THEY HAVE BEEN COMING IN FILTHY COS OF THE RAIN I HAVE LOADS OF BEDDING FOR THEM
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2006, 01:00 PM
Originally Posted by dougiepit View Post
I often get stick for constantly washing my dogs vet bed.
just wondered what your dogs sleep in/on and how often do you wash it,
If your dogs are kept outside in kennels what do you use and how often do you change it

I use vet bed indoors and wash it most days occasionaly if they have not dug or its been dry for a few days I can get 2 days out of it prior to washing
my outside dogs have straw in there beds its a deep jump in bed and its topped up weekly and skipped out about every 3 weeks and a totaly fresh bed put in,,,
Mine all live indoors and have a choice of the plastic beds with a cushion in and vetbet on top, or I also have quilt beds with fleecy covers. They like nothing better than to get in a heap on those then get into the plastic beds if they want to sleep on their own.

In the summer I only change the bedding every couple of days, unless someone has trod on something and brought it in, or made it wet or grubby in some other way, then it is washed immediately. In this awful weather I am having to wash their bedding at least twice a day. The quilts I can turn over so they are just being changed each day, unless they get really dirty but the vet bed is easy to take out, wash the plastic beds out and put clean bedding in.

Its so frustrating though cos as soon as they go outside again they just bring in all this slimey mud on their feet. I've just put newspaper down in front of the back door to try to soak some of the wet up before they get into their beds, but one of my old boys (9 years old) has just had a lovely time shredding it all, (setters never grow up ).

The dogs obviously prefer to be laying in clean beds, they wait patiently whilst I clean them then rush to be the first one to lay on it.

I don't think you're overdoing it atall, just making sure your beloved dogs are happy and comfy.
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-12-2006, 01:02 PM
My Americans all have their own crate to sleep in and I use vet bed in them. I change it about twice a week. I always have a folded towel underneath the vet bed, and when the dogs are wet the moisture goes through the vet bed into the towel, but the vet bed stays dry to touch.

The towels get changed when they are damp, so in winter weather thats every day.

Bailey has much the same thing, just bigger and he doesn't sleep in a crate.

Dawn R.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2006, 01:14 PM
At night, Teagan sleeps on a quilt in our bedroom, the cover gets washed when it needs it.
Downstairs on the furniture, she has blankets, which again, get washed when needed.

After a walk Teagan gets hosed down, and dried off with a towel, so I don't get mud trailing through the house!
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2006, 01:18 PM
I have a small dog sofa in my kitchen, covered by a blanket or two which I change twice or three times weekly..... but they do insist on digging in it (especially when they're wet!) so scrunching up the covering and generally making a mess. I think the sofa will have to go in the spring!

I also have a vetbed in a crate and a plastic bed with fleece or towel in... and when the weather is particualrly wet, newspaper on the kitchen floor which soaks up an awful lot of water and mud before they have a chance to spread it all over the house.
Katrina342
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-12-2006, 01:31 PM
Willow sleeps in a crate with vetbed, which is washed about twice a week or more if I can see it is dirty. She also has a soft basket with cushion inside that we use in whichever room we're in so that she has her place. That gets washed weekly. she also has a fleecy blanket which is usually in the kitchen as she likes to chew her horrible smelly tripe sticks on it.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2006, 01:41 PM
My dogs have 4 beds about the house. These get washed about once a week, not all at once. We have two spares for when some are in the wash.

I hoover their beds every other day.

They are both short haired and wear coats out walking. Any exposed bits get a rub down with a towel when we come in from walk. Our back garden is decking and gravel. So they never really get their beds terribley dirty, thank goodness!
lizziel
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-12-2006, 01:43 PM
Harley has a plastic basket with ventilation holes in the bottom. He has two lots of bedding - one is an RSPCA soft bed which is inside an old quilt cover and the other is three old pillows and I alternate them daily. He has an old blanket and a towel on top of either set of bedding.

Every day he comes home from his walk either wet or muddy so he has a set of bedding that is dry at night and he then uses when he comes home wet and it stays down until evening. I then swap it for the next set - which has dried in front of the radiator - and he uses it that night and the next day until evening when it will be swapped for dry again.

I wash each set every few days if it is muddy or once a week if it is just damp. He also has a piece of old carpet under his basket which he will often choose to lie on instead and there is an old towel on top of this when he first comes back from his off lead walk as it helps to sop up all the excess water and mud that an energetic Golden Retriever can manage to store in his coat.
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2006, 01:48 PM
My dogs bedding is changed daily, they have their own washing machine and tumble dryer plumbed into our outdoor building. They all have vet bedding.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >