Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
RRmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-12-2009, 05:27 PM

Do dogs get cold feet in the snow

I love walking in the snow, but just wondered if dogs got cold feet and perhaps I should not keep Sydney out for ages in it? or am I being silly...
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2009, 05:37 PM
i thought about this the other day too.... i know daphni feels the cold a bit so i bought her a coat when i was at a sho, but always thought about feet. wouldnt it be like us going out with no shoes on?
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2009, 05:40 PM
It's slightly different but twice this morning, I had to remove compacted ice from between Loki's toes. It was making him limp. Bless him, he knew I was helping him and held up his paws for me to deal with, then licked me.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2009, 05:42 PM
If you put vaseline on the furry bits between the pads it stops ice-balls forming.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2009, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
If you put vaseline on the furry bits between the pads it stops ice-balls forming.
Thank you for that! I've not heard of that before but I will do that next time we go out.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2009, 05:53 PM
Jed does alot of his 'Moonwalking' when the weather is cold. Once he gets inside, he seems to suffer with his feet, maybe it's hot aches or something, and he scratches the ground like he does when he's had a poo.

He cannot settle with it and his behaviour really does become very odd, thats how I know the Moonwalking is not far off!
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2009, 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
It's slightly different but twice this morning, I had to remove compacted ice from between Loki's toes. It was making him limp. Bless him, he knew I was helping him and held up his paws for me to deal with, then licked me.
My friend's Briard gets lumps of ice like marbles between his toes which must be really uncomfortable. I will pass on C & D's tip.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2009, 06:00 PM
I don't think it bothers them to be honest, unless they get balls of ice forming on their paws as others have said. We have had a lot of snow on the ground since last Thursday and my dogs have been out in it lots. Haven't noticed any problems with 'cold feet'.
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2009, 06:19 PM
Dougal doesn't like having cold feet. He high steps in the garden and bounces like a mad deer when out a walk.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2009, 06:24 PM
i think I should rename Bruno, - Prancer as this is what he does in the snow, prances about !! LOL
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >