Our sister sites
Our sister sites
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2008, 04:15 PM

lump in scrotum

Hi all,
I was talking to my aunt who has a rescue dog. She has had him two years and he was castrated about 3 years ago. She noticed a lump where his balls should be. She is going to the vets, but has asked me to post this in case anyone else has had this happen.

She says the lump is hard and about the size of a golfball. I asked her if it was hot to the touch and she said no. I said that sometimes this can happen right after castration but 3 years later? I'm not sure. She is out of her mind with worry.
I tried to explain that maybe its just a cyst or an infection. She's scared in case its cancer and I said that due to the site of the lump I felt it unlikely, however I'm no expert.
Has anyone here had this happen and what was the outcome.
Cheers all.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2008, 04:59 PM
Any unexplained lump should be checked as soon as it is found, were he intact I would say it probably was a tumour and not to worry as very few are malignant however as he is castrated it could be anything from a hernia to a tumour or anything in between, but if it has appeared and the vet is unaware it should be checked.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2008, 05:38 PM
I agree with Pita..........best the vets checks it.....then you can be sure. xxxx Good luck
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2008, 05:48 PM
thanks guys, I agree with all you have said. But I am trying to calm a 78 year old widow, who's life is Sandy her dog. I will tell her what you have said and maybe it will put her mind at rest. Her son took Sandy to the Vet but when anything like this happens I dont get the full story because she doesn't hear all what is said and I only get an abridged version. Sandy is due to go back to the vet next wed and I guess thats for a biopsy!
queenwillow
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2008, 08:37 PM
i know of a friend of mine ,she did take her male dog , to the vets ,with a lump ,same place , her dog was not castrated ,he had lump ,she didnt say it was ,that big though .the vet said it was some kind cyst.
i would not risk it straight to the vets i rekon .
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2008, 08:50 PM
I understand how frightened your Aunt must be but leaving it or ignoring it will not make it go away. Even if it were the worst possible thing she can think of the chances are it can be dealt with and no problems, so she must get it sorted just in case it needs sorting quickly as would a hernia or a tumour. But it could just be fat or a cyst so tell her not to jump to conclusions till the vet has investigated.
hazlitt
New Member!
Male 

13-11-2008, 07:48 PM
Hi
My dog Jake has exactly the same problem, being a castrated dog with a golfball lump where his scrotum would be. Ive got him booked into the vet next week and have to wait until then. Could you give me a follow up on your aunt's rescue dog? What was the outcome?

Thanks
Chris.
hazlitt
New Member!
Male 

22-11-2008, 12:20 AM
Hi. Replying as a followup to my own question in case anyone else has the same problem and Googles this page...

I had the golfball sized lump removed from his scrotum and examined. The results came back as a "Spindle Cell Tumor" which is harmlesss! (thank goodness!) It does have a tendancy to come back and regrow in the same place but it is not milignant and doesnt spread throughout the body. The vet suggested it grew from the nerve cell wall from when he was castrated about ten years ago.

Currently he's got some nasty looking stiches between his legs and he's wearing the lampshade around his head to prevent him picking at the wound. I'm very glad to have him back!