Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

07-02-2011, 02:34 AM

Do you give your dogs garlic?

You often hear garlic is toxic for dogs - but then a lot of people swear by it for keeping away fleas.

Do you give your dogs it? Is it actually toxic to dogs?
Mese
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-02-2011, 03:49 AM
Not on a regular basis , but I do include a bit of powdered garlic in the dog biscuits I bake for them twice a month
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 07:25 AM
No.

I think, like most things, it can do harm if too much is given & I've heard that garlic can cause stomach upsets, particularly in dogs that already have sensitivities, e.g. IBS.

The evidence for garlic keeping dogs flea-free is, as far as I know, anecdotal, but I stand to be corrected if anyone has any evidence.

And possibly folk that like to feed as "natural" a diet as possible, e.g. raw feeders, BARF, prey model etc, wouldn't include garlic cloves/powder/tablets but I've no idea if dogs munch on wild garlic.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

07-02-2011, 07:30 AM
Ollie has always had a small clove of garlic once a day in is tea.

His breeder also feeds it to her dogs every day hence why Ollie is fed the same amount. He has been on it since being weaned and yes it does stop fleas never had to spray any chemicals on him for flea treatment.

He is a large dog so for small dogs it would it would probably only need once a week or maybe a couple of times a week.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 07:37 AM
garlic is amazing for many things, aswel as fleas, bllod circulation, immune system & nasal system.

i give mine a garlic capsle occassionly as maintenance & if one has a problem with any of the above i buy some in until sorted.

i just use normal garlic capsules
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-02-2011, 07:44 AM
me too just plain galic capsules
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 08:23 AM
Yes a small clove a few times a month.... no fleas!!
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 09:02 AM
Interesting fact for those who say they feed garlic and have no fleas - up until a year or so ago, I very rarely treated my dogs for fleas, being of the "treat 'em when you see 'em". I didn't give any preventative garlic, didn't spray them with citronella or lavendar or anything - just went about our daily business, and no fleas. So I don't think the "no fleas" argument is entirely evidence, because your dog may have just not picked up fleas, regardless of the garlic or not.
Personally I now treat my two regularly with Advocate. I think we have to consider more than just fleas nowadays, and with lungworm not showing symptoms until the lungs have already been damaged (often permanently to an extent), I just don't want to risk it. Yes, going against the "natural" idea but it's one thing I'm not prepared to risk, knowing there has been lungworm in the area (and not just the one-off infection). So even if garlic did prevent fleas, it doesn't prevent lungworm and I'd recommend people consider introducing Advocate or Panacur into their flea/worming regime, at least once in a while, or at the very least discuss the lungworm risk in their area with their vet.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 09:17 AM
In the summer fleas do seem to like Rogue, although the others have never had them. I have found a garlic capsule once a day does prevent them in her case. I think garlic is only toxic in huge amounts. I add it to their liver cake, usually in the form of garlic puree.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 10:18 AM
I don't use it. I'd love to see if there is hard scientific proof of it preventing fleas, if anyone has any links, please do share.

I believe it's only toxic in large amounts, and that there is some evidence out there that some garlic in the diet can be beneficial to health. At what dosage, I'm not sure though.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >