Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jules1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2007, 05:01 PM
Hiya
I would definately recommend Burns, especially for weight loss.
To be honest i like both foods the same for different reasons.
My 3 lost their weight on the normal adult food. They started to lose a little too much, so i have now switched them back to Arden Grange, because they were looking quite thin & also i can buy AG VAT free
But i wouldn't hesitate putting them back on Burns if i needed to. So i would say i think you'll be really pleased with the food as i'm sure you'll get a good result. Definately money worth spending!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2007, 06:35 AM
Originally Posted by Jules1 View Post
Hiya
I would definately recommend Burns, especially for weight loss.
To be honest i like both foods the same for different reasons.
My 3 lost their weight on the normal adult food. They started to lose a little too much, so i have now switched them back to Arden Grange, because they were looking quite thin & also i can buy AG VAT free
But i wouldn't hesitate putting them back on Burns if i needed to. So i would say i think you'll be really pleased with the food as i'm sure you'll get a good result. Definately money worth spending!
Thanks for that. As I have problems keeping weight on my other dog, I think it likely that I won't stay with Burns permanently, but I'm really hopeful, particularly after your response, that it will do the trick
IJF
Dogsey Junior
Male 

21-09-2007, 12:00 PM
Feed whatever you consider the best quality food for your dog.

If my dog is carrying a bit of weight I feed her less, if she is looking too ribby I feed her more. I do not change the food to achieve a change in weight......
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2007, 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by IJF View Post

If my dog is carrying a bit of weight I feed her less, if she is looking too ribby I feed her more. I do not change the food to achieve a change in weight......
Normally I would agree with you and this is what we have been trying over the months. However, she doesn't get a lot to eat as it is and I really don't want to cut it back futher as we will just have an unhappy, hungry dog.

Unfortunately substantially increasing her exercise isn't an option either as she is still recovering from a knee op & if she does too much, she is sore.
Jules1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2007, 08:42 AM
Originally Posted by IJF View Post

I tried this over a few months!! Mine still kept losing weight. I was literally getting through a 15kg bag in 2 weeks.
I really don't think it matters as long as your dog is doing well on it. Mine do well on both, but with Burns they looked to ribby, certainly not going to stay on the same food for the sake of it.
Mine have an awful lot of exercise, so i wasn't willing to drop this because they were losing too much weight. Much more logical to change their food
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2007, 09:02 AM
I agree, you shouldn't have to feed a large amount more than the recommended amount to get the desired weight. Mine actually eat substantially less than the recommended amount and are still able to maintain their weight!
Becky
pam2
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-09-2007, 04:24 PM
Well, I am so glad to have found a supplier near me of AG as I think it is a great food and definately don't need to feed as much as other dried foods.
I did think of switching to Burns before I found the AG supplier though but as Charlie is a growing pup, the warnings of weight loss in some dogs did put me off a bit.
It costs £35 for a 15kg bag of AG so slightly cheaper than
Burns.
But Charlie and I are happy with AG.
IJF
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-09-2007, 08:34 AM
Originally Posted by Jules1 View Post
I tried this over a few months!! Mine still kept losing weight. I was literally getting through a 15kg bag in 2 weeks.
I really don't think it matters as long as your dog is doing well on it. Mine do well on both, but with Burns they looked to ribby, certainly not going to stay on the same food for the sake of it.
Mine have an awful lot of exercise, so i wasn't willing to drop this because they were losing too much weight. Much more logical to change their food
Jules1,

I agree that, in the case you describe, I would change food. I believe some foods do not have enough quality meat sourced protein and fat to keep some dogs in condition. (For info, I feed Orijen)
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2007, 06:49 PM
I fed my Westie Arden Grange Chicken and Rice for a short time about a year or so ago, she did fine on it.

I now feed both my dogs on Burns Chicken and Brown Rice and they've been on this for well over a year now. They are both thriving on it and have no health problems or skin conditions.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3