Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2006, 11:08 PM

Poor Sausage! Sorry long!

My little Sausage scared the life out of me last night!

He collapsed at 7.30 and I thought he was going to die there and then! He just collapsed and went all floppy, he was unresponsive and was breathing really slowly (6 breaths per min). I could see his heart going so fast that I could not begin to try and count it, and then it would stop for a while, then go boom boom and start fluttering again.
Due to his history (he has a tumour near his heart and is 16 so they are not going to operate) and the fact he was not distressed or struggling I did not call the vet straight away, I honestly thought he was going to die any minute! But after 45 mins of him being like this I thought it was best to warn the vets incase he did become distressed and need vet attn at a later time. Poor baby was just lying in my arms with his tounge hanging out basically looking awful! The vet said it is not looking good but there was nothing he could do at the time apart from put him down and as he was not distressed there was no point in dragging him to the surgery to do so, also there was a chance he may rally!
WELL! After going to bed (late!) and putting the little man next to me with a blanket over him and trying to sleep with my hand on his chest to see if he was breathing,he woke me up barking and nagging for his breakfast! He could only just stand up at that time, but by lunchtime he was running around as if nothing had happened!
The vet thinks he had a little stroke that could happen again at any time and he may not recover from the next one. I am so pleased to see him happy and recovered again. I must say, I flew into a panic and phoned my Dad wailing that he was dying etc!
I just want the time he has left to be happy and (I hope this does not sound awful) I do hope he does die peacefully of a stroke. The tumour he has will gradually press and obstruct his windpipe, it would be much better for him to slip away like he almost did last night. He was so peaceful.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2006, 11:17 PM
Bless him, he is such a cutie, I'm so glad he recovered but, as you say, it is just delaying the inevitable.
One of my old English Setters had a stroke at 8 years old, just after I'd had her spayed, she had them quite regularly and, each time, I thought she was going to leave me. It was actually a brain tumour that caused me to have her pts at 10 years of age.
I know of several people that have dogs that have regular strokes as they get older and keep recovering. Its just such a shame that your lad has got the tumour which adds to your worries.
It will be comforting for you if he does pass away in his sleep, you will still be devastated but at least you won't have to make the final decision.
I really feel for you and the little lad. x
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2006, 11:20 PM
Thank you!
I am actually a bit scared to go to bed tonight! I know whatever happens I cant change it etc, but am really on edge.

PS. His eyes look funny in that photo, but he was ok then!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-12-2006, 11:31 PM
Hi Miss Potter that must have been so scary.

What a fortunate little dog he is to have found such a good home in which to spend his last years .

I hope he goes quietly to sleep .....xx
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2006, 11:37 PM
Bless him he's gorgeous and so lucky to have you xx
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-12-2006, 11:40 PM
i can understand why you want him to go that way.
i hope he keeps pulling though.
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2006, 11:43 PM
Thank you all!
skjerstad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2006, 11:56 PM
Hope you get some sleep, & he has another comfortable night.
gaz
Dogsey Senior
Male 

06-12-2006, 11:59 PM
I understand how you feel, my old dog had a stroke when he was 9. I was really worried but the vets said they are not the same as humands and they pull through strokes a lot easier than we do. He kept going for the next 7 years, and never had another one.
all the best.
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-12-2006, 01:39 AM
He is absolutly divine, you are so lucky. I had 2 lil pugs as a child ( well they were my mums ) and we lost them to old age when they were 11 and 13.

Glad he was ok last night, he's lush
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >