View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Flatcoatdreams
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-12-2008, 12:10 AM

Training very friendly dog to behave off-lead?

Hello,

My Flatcoat bitch is almost 8 months old now, and I am having trouble knowing what to do about letting her off-lead.

Whenever I let her off the lead, I am constantly worrying about bumping in to other people or dogs, as she is always so desperate to say hello to everyone. I know that many people do not appreciate dogs running up to them (and Sasha is big and also likes to jump up ), no matter how friendly they may be, so I really need to sort this out.

Her recall is very good when there isn't anyone else around - I use a dog whistle which she responds very well to. I carry a bag of treats, as Sasha is very food-motivated - at the moment I am using small chunks of cheese. I only get the food out when we see other people/dogs, and even then she is sometimes tempted to ignore the food in favour of greeting others.

Today we went for a walk and there were so many people and dogs around that I didn't dare let her off. I put her on her flexi-lead (which I do not like to use as I have been injured by it a few times, but she needs to have some freedom) and whenever we passed anyone she got extremely excited - bouncing around trying to get to them and breathing very heavily and loudly. If she'd been off-lead, she would have been all over them with her muddy paws. People actually appeared to be scared when walking past her .

My question really, is how do you get your very friendly dog to ignore other people and animals when out walking, and only be focused on you? When she does say hello to other dogs, it takes me ages to get her back because all she wants to do is play - she follows them around and comes back to me in her own time.

She does respond to training very well - we've just completed our Puppy Foundation Good Citizen assessment and we're starting the Bronze Award in January. It's just this excited desire to say hi to anything and everything that I need to work on!

I am really at a loss as to what to do next - I just want her to be able to run freely without bothering others - so any advice would be much appreciated
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2008, 06:56 AM
It sounds to me like your doing all the right things. I must be one of those people that people dislike as all of mine at one time or another went through this, but I just kept on doing what your doing, finally it clicked, mine will still go up to other dogs now, but now thier recall is brill and if I see someone has thier dog on a lead I pressume there is a reason and just call ''close'' we all walk passed and then I say ''ok'' they run on

I am sure it will click with yours, if it's any help Skye was just over 12 months before she stopped doing it. Bruce was 7 months...so it differs with each dog IMO

Good luck with your training.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2008, 07:06 AM
I will come back and answer later...soooooooooo been there (although not with Cosmo with our other FCR!)
There are ways and means!
gonchie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-12-2008, 03:56 AM
I have nothing useful to help but I am going through such a similar situation with our 10 month staffie cross.
Added to our problem is that she doesn't know how to play ball so other dogs are her favourite pastime and there is NO distracting her without dragging her away and back on the lead
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2008, 07:01 AM
Sorry I didn't come back to this yesterday.

Flat Coats by nature are very friendly and gregarious which is why we love them BUT it is really difficult when they need to share their love with anyone and everything that they see on a walk. I really do have every sympathy.

You need to get it going back to basics and work on the recall around the house, then the garden, then around a few distractions in the house and garden before trying her offlead ina quiet park, then a busier park and so on. EVERY time you shout her name and she doesn't come back she is learning to ignore her name...her name (or whatever recall word you are using at the moment) to her means 'comeback when you are ready'...which isn't good. I lose count of people who shout their dog when we are out and the dog totally ignores them...yet they continue to shout their dogs name!!!!! (Or blow a whistle that the dog ignores...been there not long ago on the beach, an owner miles away blowing a merry old tune and their dog was dancing with Cosmo to it!!! )

The people who's puppy classes we went to had a brilliant way of reteaching (or teaching) a recall. It would take me AGES to write the explanation out but if you are interested let me know. It involves loading a special recall word....

Does she like having a toy thrown for her? You could get her fixated on the toy when out...it has to be a special toy that she only gets on walks and retrieving it has to be fun. You also need two. That is vital because it sounds like she (like the FCR pup we walked) would leg it off with one and play at not bringing it back!!! You could develop a real love of that toy.

My final suggestion would be finding a high value treat that she adores that she ONLY ever gets when out and about...not commercial treats as they don't tend to keep their attention as well. Chicken, hotdogs, liver, that sort of thing or cheese. Again it is vital it is a reward she only gets on walks. NEVER at any other times.

I said that was my final suggestion but I've thought of something else. Do you have a friend with a dog she gets on very well with? We found that is our FCR with the poor recall was out with a 'friend' he was far less inclined to run off to other dogs and people making it easier for us to praise the good, if you see what I mean, it didn't work with our own dogs though...

In the meantime, you are doing the right thing by not letting her offlead as everytinmeshe ignores you she is learning really bad things!!!! Please don't ever scold her when she does come back or when you have to get her as she will learn you are not worth returning to.

Wow...I've gone on haven't I...sorry. I just feel for you as I know how hard this is. Saturn was a nightmare so we knew the pitfalls when we got Cosmo and worked soooooooo hard on his recall as we decided it was THE most important command for us.
(Not that it works when he knows there is mud or water...he then says 'I promise I will come back but I HAVE to go in that first...see you in a moment!'

Anyhow....if you want me to tell you the recall technique you could try with loading a word...give me a yell. Can you PM yet?
Flatcoatdreams
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-12-2008, 05:34 PM
Thanks for the replies

Ramble - Thanks for the detailed reply! The problem is, that her recall is very good except when there are other dogs or people around. In the house and in the garden she will always come back to me when I call. I don't suppose that it will hurt to do more practise on it though .

I do let her off-lead at the park if we are alone, and she always comes back to the whistle straight away. She waits for me if she's running ahead, so I know she likes to stay close to me - she's never out of my sight......unless of course we come across another dog.

Then, I'm afraid to say, I turn in to one of those people who is whistling and calling my dog's name, only to be completely ignored .

It's like something switches off in her head when she sees other dogs - suddenly the whistle doesn't matter, nor do the treats, which usually she would do anything for. Mind, sometimes she is fine and she will sit for her cheese, while I put the lead back on until the other dog is out of sight.

I would love to know how I could make her come back every time without fail!

Unfotunately, Sasha is not very bothered about toys (although she loves to chew them). She gets bored of playing fetch very quickly and she never gives toys back to us. She's definitely the sort of dog who loves to run off with things and she just loves it when you chase her to get them back! I try not to encourage this .

I have to open her mouth to get toys back . If she has a toy in her mouth and I throw another, she keeps hold of the first one and picks the other one up too! Cheeky monkey!

I only wish I had a friend with a dog . I know she would dearly love to play with another dog but I just don't know any! I hope that one day I'll be able to get a friend for her, but I doubt it will be possible for a long while. Obviously she meets other dogs at training, but they don't get chance to play together unfortunately.

I don't tell her off when she comes back, I always tell her she's a good girl and give her a fuss.

I hate keeping her on the lead - she pulls a lot, as she is always looking for food - whenever we see food packaging on the pavement she just HAS to inspect it, and then she carries it with her! She is so much better off lead and we both enjoy it a lot more - it's just this constant worry that we're going to upset another person or dog .

Thanks again for the advice. I still can't PM, but I'm almost there!
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2008, 05:51 PM
Getting her hooked on a high value toy is brilliant advice. My 8 month old GSP was naughty a couple of times with horses, he would sneak round behind them and try to grab their tails!

He is completely ball obsessed and trained to come back to a whistle. He knows I will throw his ball at least once as a reward. Now when he sees a horse he stands still and looks at me, then the horse, then me etc. As if to say "Blow the whistle, horse = ball!!!". It does make walking along bridleways much more relaxing. I can always get him back and either make him sit (staring at the ball) or he will walk to heel (staring at the ball). Either way horses ( or other dogs, deer or people) are easy peasy now. Hooray for tennis balls!!
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2008, 05:58 PM
Originally Posted by Flatcoatdreams View Post
Thanks for the replies

Ramble - Thanks for the detailed reply! The problem is, that her recall is very good except when there are other dogs or people around. In the house and in the garden she will always come back to me when I call. I don't suppose that it will hurt to do more practise on it though .

I do let her off-lead at the park if we are alone, and she always comes back to the whistle straight away. She waits for me if she's running ahead, so I know she likes to stay close to me - she's never out of my sight......unless of course we come across another dog.

Then, I'm afraid to say, I turn in to one of those people who is whistling and calling my dog's name, only to be completely ignored .

It's like something switches off in her head when she sees other dogs - suddenly the whistle doesn't matter, nor do the treats, which usually she would do anything for. Mind, sometimes she is fine and she will sit for her cheese, while I put the lead back on until the other dog is out of sight.

Unfotunately, Sasha is not very bothered about toys (although she loves to chew them). She gets bored of playing fetch very quickly and she never gives toys back to us. She's definitely the sort of dog who loves to run off with things and she just loves it when you chase her to get them back! I try not to encourage this .

I have to open her mouth to get toys back . If she has a toy in her mouth and I throw another, she keeps hold of the first one and picks the other one up too! Cheeky monkey!

I only wish I had a friend with a dog . I know she would dearly love to play with another dog but I just don't know any! I hope that one day I'll be able to get a friend for her, but I doubt it will be possible for a long while. Obviously she meets other dogs at training, but they don't get chance to play together unfortunately.

I don't tell her off when she comes back, I always tell her she's a good girl and give her a fuss.

I hate keeping her on the lead - she pulls a lot, as she is always looking for food - whenever we see food packaging on the pavement she just HAS to inspect it, and then she carries it with her! She is so much better off lead and we both enjoy it a lot more - it's just this constant worry that we're going to upset another person or dog .

I had this problem with Ollie. I spent nearly 2 weeks popping him back on a flexi lead periodically for a short game of "fetch" several times on each walk. We now play "fetch" on every walk without the lead.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2008, 07:33 PM
Forgive me but it will be easier to reply bit by bit...

Originally Posted by Flatcoatdreams View Post
Her recall is only good if she does it with distractions present. It is great she comes in the house and garden but at the moment other dogs are more interesting to her than you are and you need to alter that...one day she will run up to a dog that isn't too impressed by a bouncy Flat Coat.
Do you vary your routes? How about playing hide and seek. I once ran off whn Cosmo was really young, just behind a bush so I could see him and he paniced when he realised he couldn't see me, he is now careful not to go too far ahead. We never always walk the same way either, sometimes we double back on ourselves unexpectedly...keep 'em guessing:mrgreen:
Stop doing it now. Don't keepcalling her, don't keep whistling her. Stop. Never do it again. Tell yourself that for everytime you do it you can add on 50 more dogs she will think she can ignore you for. Call her once or twice...then go and get her...or if the dogs are okay...walk away, or run away....don't stand shouting...shout and run backwards!! Wave your arms, sound excited
Time to up the reward then....and vary them. Try some other meat...some hotdogs or chicken...make her work for it
Practice and consistency is the only way.
That's why you need 2 toys..one in your hand and one in her mouth/being thrown...only one in action,one to entice. They shouold be identical. You only throw your one when she drops her one. She can drop it for food. Teach her s drop and leave it command seperately
Don't throw the other one then.Get the toy out of her mouth, bribe her with food if necessary then throw it.
Can you suggest meeting up to someone at class? Whereabouts are you in the NW? Perhaps a Dogsey meet could be sorted?! :mrgreen:
Brill I thought you would just thought I should pop it in. :mrgreen:
Saturn upset lots of people and dogs... She is a pup and people will generally understand if you explain that, try not to worry to much or she'll pick up on it
It's 20 I think.....
I haven't got time to explain about the word at the moment.....it does work though
Flatcoatdreams
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-12-2008, 09:29 PM
Thanks again for the replies

I try to vary the routes on our walks, although we do tend to stick to the same park during the week as it's not too far away - I don't want her doing too much street walking yet as she's still pretty young. There's a lovely stream for her too play in at the park as well. On weekends I usually take her to different places - country parks, the beach etc.

If she doesn't respond when I call her (because she's wanting to play with another dog), and I go to get her, she runs away from me when she knows I'm going to put the lead back on. I've tried giving her treats when I attach the lead to try and make her associate it with nice things, but she still does this if there's another dog around - how can I correct this?

I've tried the jumping around/silly voice etc but she takes absolutely no notice when there are other dogs - it's like she's forgotten I'm even there

I know I should probably try using some meat as treats, it's just I'm vegetarian and not sure I can stand having it in my pocket and touching it

If she's playing with a toy, and I get some treats out, she loses all interest in the toy and only focuses on the food from that point onwards. If I throw the toy, she'll just ignore it and start pestering me for treats. I'd love it if I could get her excited by toys, but her stomach comes first unfortunately!

Most dog owners have been nice about her "unreliable" recall so far, but I know I can't use the excuse that she's a puppy forever, so it looks like we're in for some serious training!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >