Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2008, 07:13 PM

Sticking with the same breed

Tonight in the chippy I was chatting to a chap who had a dashund....and that was their 4th....and as we are on Stafford number 5 (family that is not me but including my childhood)

Just wondered what makes people stay with their chosen breed?

Or do/did you make a change or two before finding your ideal breed?

And will you be making a change or two in future?
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-09-2008, 07:17 PM
For me its always been labs, I looked at other breeds before opting for my first and have kept with them. I would never rule out another breed though(after all I have a Jakey). But for me they are perfect and all I want in a dog.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2008, 07:24 PM
I don't have a breed. I have had:

- a boxer cross pointer
- a mongrel that looked like a lab x beardie - but mum was the size of a deerhound so she can't have been that.
- a fox hound x
- a GSDxColliexwhippet lurcher
- and now a staffordish.

I think Tonks is great, but don't think i will stick to one breed in the future, mostly because i want to rescue more dogs and am a sucker for taking on whoever needs a home.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2008, 07:28 PM
You have got a breed your breed is the one in most need..........
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2008, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by Kazz View Post
You have got a breed your breed is the one in most need..........
lol i like that! I have always wanted a puppy or a kitten, but whenever i go to rescue centres i always go away with someone elses oldie!

This time i was determined to get a puppy, and it had to be something that would fit in with what my OH wanted, would be right for a one bedroomed flat with me working from home, and be ok with my OH's three children..........so we got a Tonks and she is superduper!
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2008, 07:34 PM
We have always had rescued Lurchers, not deliberately, it just sort of happens. They somehow rescue (!!!) us
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2008, 07:34 PM
I love all dogs and have had quite a few different breeds all with different good qualities :

A small terrier cross

An afghan hound

Smooth and wirehaired mini daxies

Irish setter

Whippets

Lurcher

Mini poodle

Some of them have been rescues and some of them bought from breeders
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2008, 07:38 PM
I wanted a German Shepherd since I watched Rin Tin Tin as a child. They are a wonderful breed, and I can`t imagine life without one.
However, I always had a `mutt` as a companion for my GSD and one day went to the rescue centre as my little lurcher had died and brought back a sorry, bewildered odd-looking dog who the rescue were desperate to rehome as he hadn`t eaten for days - he`d given up. He turned out to be a German Shorthaired Pointer, and I spent the next few years trying to learn all about gundogs.
So now I have 2 favourite breeds - and a mutt!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2008, 07:43 PM
I've had quite a few breeds:

Pekinese (parents had these)
Afghan Hound
Lab cross
Great Dane
Labradors (black and yellow)
Shibas

I've stuck with shibas - I've had six altogether, three still living, and they're a breed I adore.

However......... my heart yearns for:

A retired greyhound
A rescue dog of some description
Any of the bull breeds

....but I think I'll always have a shiba
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2008, 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
I've had quite a few breeds:

Pekinese (parents had these)
Afghan Hound
Lab cross
Great Dane
Labradors (black and yellow)
Shibas

I've stuck with shibas - I've had six altogether, three still living, and they're a breed I adore.

However......... my heart yearns for:

A retired greyhound
A rescue dog of some description
Any of the bull breeds

....but I think I'll always have a shiba

That's interesting - what makes you stick with the Shibas even though you would like some of the other breeds you have described.

The people who get me are the ones who have trouble with their chosen breed but still stick to it!!

My friends parents always have retrievers and also go to the local Dog trainng club who do very old fashioned training just for competition. Out of the last 3 dogs they have had only one can really be said to have been a happy well rounded dog.

Number 1 - had epilepsy and bit everyone in the family so was PTS.

Number 2 - was one of those wonderful dogs who seemed to turn out ok despite everything.

Number 3 - the present one is neurotic and has been completely pampered too, hence is even more neurotic than she would have been if she had not been pampered too. Sge screamed the first time they put her in someone elses car other than their own, was sick and had diarrhoea so they never put her in any car but their own and stuck to the same make and model! She still screams with excitement whenever anyone comes to the door and still gets shouted at to stop and, of course, it still doesn't work and hasn't done for the past 11 years!!

Only one of them has been able to walk on a loose lead.

But they will continue to have golden retrievers and will continue to go to the Dog Training Club.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »