View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
alandkell
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-05-2008, 05:59 PM

barking me mad (neighbours dogs barking)

my neighbours dogs incessantly bark whenever either one or other of my family walk into the garden. are there any other ways to silence these animals so we can spend some time in relative peace and quiet we do like our neighbours and dont want to fall out with them although i have come to blows verbally today as this has been going on for the 2 years we have been living here we do not want to report them they are an elderly couple who love their dogs but i dont think they know what to do with them as dont we any help would be grateful. just to let you know my dogs do not bark unless absolutely necessary and are quickly told to hush. help please!!!!!!!!!
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2008, 08:57 PM
I can sympathise, our neighbours 2 terriers used to bark constantly at us and at Max. It was unpleasant and I dreaded bin day, especially the glass recyling day, they would go crazy lol!

How much contact do you have with the dogs? With our neighbour's dogs we only ever heard them and never really saw them. I'm just wondering, if you don't already do it, if you ask their names and talk to them over the fence so they get to know you a bit better it may ease the situation a bit.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2008, 09:52 AM
Sorry don't have any advie, but just wanted to sympathise. Someone out the back of us has two small dogs (think they are poms) and they constantly yap when they are outside. I think the owners just put them out in the gardenand leave them. They don't get walked either.

Every night at about 10 they start yapping. They do it so much that Bryan doesn't even react when they start!
myshell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-05-2008, 10:10 AM
Oh dear, sorry to say Red will bark outside if he sees someone nextdoor, he drives me mad so it must drive others the same way.
I try to make him stop but he's just not bothered. If anyone has got any advice how to shut him up, I would appreciate it.
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-05-2008, 10:21 AM
sympathise with you my neighbours dog barked the whole time she was out i had a word and said the dog was stressed and she got one of theses sonic things from pah. i got a portable one cos my terrier is a nightmare got it yesterday cost me 19.99 best thing ive ever bought just press the button and say quiet she hears the noise not me seems to be working, if she wont buy one get one yourself and press it ewverytime they bark they wont know cos they wont be able to hear it but it may keep the dogs quiet, but id go ansd speak to them first saying that someone could complain and they could be taken from her if they are too noisy
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2008, 12:30 PM
One of mine is a pain for barking, he goes nuts everytime anyone goes within about 3 feet of the gate, if the next door neighbours come out, at next doors washing flapping over our wall and cats that walk along the top of the wall. People coming to the front door and into the house also (thats usually excitement). It is a pain but its not constant, during the week day hes quiet usually its once tea time comes it becomes problematic as there are always kids messing about out the back and that sets him off. It does my head in but I don't worry too much as there are loads of dogs round here that are always barking, however I would be interested in hearing suggestions on how to stop it.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2008, 12:39 PM
I think there is a huge difference between a dog that barks if a cat jumps onto the fence or if a neighbour comes out and bangs the door behind them to a dog that barks constantly, which is what my neighbours dogs used to do. I say used to because I don't think they live there any more, I think maybe the wife has left and taken them, either that or they have been to dog borstal!

When we first moved in Max used to bark a lot more at both our human neighbours and the dogs. As he has got more used to their voices and his boundary he rarely does it now. If he stuck his head through the hedge barking (wire fencing behind the hedge) we used to call him away and if he went back and did the same again we put him inside for a couple of minutes and then let him out again. That seems to have worked with Max.