Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2007, 07:17 PM

Dark Stools

Hi guys,

As some of you know I haven't been well the last number of days so teh dogs haven't been getting out for their usual walks.

I went out to clear up the back garden today for the first time since I've been ill. When I was out I found three black "deposits". I'm guessing they are Archie's, cos they look like his, if you know what I mean.

I'm surprised at how dark these are, what may have caused this and should I worry?
Alison2006
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-01-2007, 07:30 PM
I'd keep a watch for the next few days but wouldn't panic too much at the moment if your dog appears healthy in every other way. Has your dog had a change in diet etc. My dog used to have dark blood when he went to the toilet sometimes but this was due to the ulcer that he was treated for. There are lots of other simpler explanations for this.

Best wishes
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-01-2007, 07:46 PM
Hi Evie is Archie healthy otherwise, are his gums a dark pink colour.

Could the dogs have eaten something odd while you have been ill,sharp objects/ eating some vegetation (like mown grass) and soil can lead to black feces. If the feces are loose and 'tarry' it could indicate bleeding from somewhere/ the upper intestinal tract so I would keep a close eye over the next day, if it continues beyond that it will need investigation.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2007, 08:01 PM
There was one night I heard one of the dogs being sick during the night, then the girls saw Archie vomiting the following day at the weekend. This ws clear and a little foamy.

He has lost weight lately and starting to look ribby again, but seems in fine form otherwise. His gums are pink.

The stools were firm, not loose or tarry. Ourback garden has decking and gravel, so no grass or soil for him to eat at. As far as I'm aware there has been no sharp objects eaten, but I couldn't rule it out since he has been in my eldest's bedroon with alot of toys lying around in there. They both also had bones two days ago, but I didn't notice anything unusual then.

I will be making the trips to the garden with them from here on out to keep a close eye, and watch for anything else unusual.

Thanks for the help guys. :smt001
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2007, 09:27 PM
sorry...could it just be an odlish dried up poo? Sometimes they go a bit darker as they dry out???? Lovely...
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2007, 09:29 PM
No, they weren't old..... one was, erm, warm.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2007, 09:31 PM
ahhhh rules out that option then!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2007, 01:33 AM
I had a few like that yesterday from the pups, I trod on one as one of the little darlings did it right at the door step and I did not see it till it was to late, and it was perfectly normal colour in the middle, they were not old mabey an hour or so, it may be they just got dry quickly on the outside,,, its quite warm for winter??/
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2007, 03:25 PM
Hi Guys,

This morning Archie produed another very black, hard one. But we have just been out on a walk and I'm pleased to say the two he produced then were totally normal. :smt001

I'll continue to keep a close eye for the next few days though.

Thanks for your help.