Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
graciemae
New Member!
Female 

20-09-2006, 12:23 AM

Just HOW contagious is Kennel Cough?

My mum's labrador has kennel cough, and I want to protect my English bulldog from getting it--her respiratory system works hard enough as it is. They do not live together, but I was wondering, if I'm at my mum's and playing with her dog, can I then come home and infect my dog? Anyone have an experience with this?
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2006, 12:59 AM
Kennel Cough is very contagious, your dog only needs to be near a dog for a matter of seconds to pick it up. My sisters dog picked it up from a blokes dog who they only stopped to say hi to briefly, she noticed it was coughing a bit but thought nothing of it, brought her dog to my house before it even started to show symptoms & passed it onto my dogs next time she saw the bloke who she suspected her dog had caught it off she mentioned it to him & he confirmed his dog had been diagnosed with it.

I do believe they can even pick it up by going somewhere where a dog with it has recently been, for example a dog with kennel cough comes along and coughs all over an area of leaves maybe even leaves small particles of fluid, 10 mins later your dog is in the very same area playing with the leaves the previous dog has been coughing on - chances are your dog will pick it up. Thats why it is not advised for you to take your dog out until it is clear of kennel cough.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2006, 01:22 AM
I'm not sure but i wouldnt risk it i almost lost a 5 month old welshie to kennel cough took him months to recover
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2006, 09:26 AM
keenel cough is an airborne virus and as such if you play with your mum's dog yu'll be covered in it...so to speak...and yes, your dog could easily pick it up. My advice would be to steer clear of your mum's until her dog is better...