Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
wandarilicois
New Member!
Female 

20-12-2017, 06:23 PM

Puppy scared of me when on walks at nightt

so i adopted a 3 month old russian toy one month ago. now he is 4 months old and everything has been going great, he (most of the time) potties outside, doesn’t chew anything and sleeps fairly quietly in his crate at night.
but there’s one problem : when we go outside (in the yeard with a very long leash) at night in the dark, he won’t come near me. he looks at me terrified, he won’t even come for a treat. and he runs around non stop like i am about to hurt him.
i don’t know why he is doing this, i haven’t physically punished him or anything i never do that!
does anyone know what is happening/how to fix this?
thanks!
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-12-2017, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by wandarilicois View Post
so i adopted a 3 month old russian toy one month ago. now he is 4 months old and everything has been going great, he (most of the time) potties outside, doesn’t chew anything and sleeps fairly quietly in his crate at night.
but there’s one problem : when we go outside (in the yeard with a very long leash) at night in the dark, he won’t come near me. he looks at me terrified, he won’t even come for a treat. and he runs around non stop like i am about to hurt him.
i don’t know why he is doing this, i haven’t physically punished him or anything i never do that!
does anyone know what is happening/how to fix this?
thanks!
Is your yard enclosed/dog proof?
What would happen if you let him off the lead?
wandarilicois
New Member!
Female 

20-12-2017, 06:59 PM
Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
Is your yard enclosed/dog proof?
What would happen if you let him off the lead?

our yard is not small dog proof, we had a big dog but our new russian toy would crawl through or under the fence.
so yeah he would probably run away if i let him off the leash
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2017, 07:03 PM
Start at dusk and play with him outside. Lots of cuddles etc. Over days, try then to extend the time you play until it is totally dark outside. A little bit at a time is the key
wandarilicois
New Member!
Female 

20-12-2017, 07:31 PM
since it’s dark outside right now i tried taking him outside once more, i started off with playing with him and giving him a treat.
after 10 minutes he came to me without me calling him and he even pottied.
thank you so much! i will try it again tomorrow!
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-12-2017, 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by wandarilicois View Post
our yard is not small dog proof, we had a big dog but our new russian toy would crawl through or under the fence.
so yeah he would probably run away if i let him off the leash
OK. It was just a thought. Ours is not overly keen on the dark either but OK once we get going. And we have little red flashing light that attaches to his collar and makes it easier to track him.

Not much help to you now but if/when you are comfortable enough to give him independence.......
wandarilicois
New Member!
Female 

20-12-2017, 08:25 PM
Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
OK. It was just a thought. Ours is not overly keen on the dark either but OK once we get going. And we have little red flashing light that attaches to his collar and makes it easier to track him.

Not much help to you now but if/when you are comfortable enough to give him independence.......
i will probably get a collar that lights up if i find one small enough, thank you though!
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2017, 08:34 AM
I would think that it is the shadow that you make. You would then look so much bigger and as if there are two of you. Try crouching down so that you are smaller and that will also lessen there being the look of two of you.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-12-2017, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by brenda1 View Post
I would think that it is the shadow that you make. You would then look so much bigger and as if there are two of you. Try crouching down so that you are smaller and that will also lessen there being the look of two of you.
Good advice as ever. I don't know how well dogs see in the dark. Or what they make of things in different light levels. I mentioned the snowman he peed on. Some months ago, he growled at a plastic chair across the green. He clearly didn't know what it was.