Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2009, 07:52 AM

Stupid question...bitches in season

I have only ever owned males...and now a spayed female so forgive me...

When a bitch comes into season I know her 'bits' swell. The blood then starts???? How much? Is it just a small amount on day one/two??? Could small drips of blood be anything else? LIke cystitis or something???

Any answers greatly appreciated as I am out of my comfort zone here...
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2009, 07:56 AM
Hi Ailsa,

Different bitches I have owned have all had different cycles, some have lost copious amounts of blood and others have hardly lost any, in fact, if it weren't for the swelling and temperament change, I wouldn't have known they were in season.

Some also bleed a lot longer than others.

If a bitch wasn't due a season and was showing blood then I would get her checked out for an infection.

I know this is a bit vague but hope it helps
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2009, 07:59 AM
I think all bitches vary.

Stumpy only had a very, very small amount of blood - i think we could have easily of missed it. Just happened we found a couple of spots of blood so I patted her 'bits' with a piece of clean kitchen towel which confirmed that this was where the blood was coming from. otherwise, there were no obvious signs with her.

There can be blood in their pee when they have cystitis, but I've never seen blood with this except when peeing. You'd also notice that she was peeing a lot more and possibly uncomfortable.

I take it that you think your lodger might be coming in?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2009, 08:08 AM
Thanks guys.
There was some confusion over whether she could be due..it is 6 months since the start of her last season.
This morning there is a small amount of blood on her bedding and some spots around and about when she first got up,nothing since. She is quiet and she peed in the kitchen yesterday (which is unusual). She has been quite nervy since arriving but she is like that anyway (nervy isn't the right word.....skittish perhaps). She is licking herself. I do think her vulva looks quite swollen but I don't know what her 'normal' is.

She doesn't tend to wee a lot...not just here but at home too. She has only been having 3 or 4 wees day...and it is very concentrated which I don't think can be too good for her? Which is why I was wondering about an infection....but then sheis about due into season.

I also have the only gay dog in the village so he is no use in judging as he is sniffing Tango
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2009, 08:17 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Thanks guys.
There was some confusion over whether she could be due..it is 6 months since the start of her last season.
This morning there is a small amount of blood on her bedding and some spots around and about when she first got up,nothing since. She is quiet and she peed in the kitchen yesterday (which is unusual). She has been quite nervy since arriving but she is like that anyway (nervy isn't the right word.....skittish perhaps). She is licking herself. I do think her vulva looks quite swollen but I don't know what her 'normal' is.

She doesn't tend to wee a lot...not just here but at home too. She has only been having 3 or 4 wees day...and it is very concentrated which I don't think can be too good for her? Which is why I was wondering about an infection....but then sheis about due into season.

I also have the only gay dog in the village so he is no use in judging as he is sniffing Tango
I can see why the confusion. licking herself could be to clean up (Stumpy did a lot of that) during her season or whether she's licking if she has the discomfort of an infection.

As she is due in about now and as the blood is there without just being in her pee, I'd think that she is starting her season.

(Bless Cosmo, what a sweetie. Mind you, he might surprise you if your lodger stayed around for the 'important' part of her season...not that I think you'll be risking it!)
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-09-2009, 08:18 AM
As the others have said bitches vary hugely with seasons my girls don't even seem to acknowledge their own but tRio will be just as interested in Milan when due in season as the boys are. A urine infection would involve much more constant weeing sometimes as frequently as every two minutes in Rio's case.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2009, 08:21 AM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
I can see why the confusion. licking herself could be to clean up (Stumpy did a lot of that) during her season or whether she's licking if she has the discomfort of an infection.

As she is due in about now and as the blood is there without just being in her pee, I'd think that she is starting her season.

(Bless Cosmo, what a sweetie. Mind you, he might surprise you if your lodger stayed around for the 'important' part of her season...not that I think you'll be risking it!)
Mmm I think eh might....
You know there was blood on one of the other beds a couple of days ago and I thought it was from Cosmo wound as he rubs his head on stuff after eating (don't ask...)
Perhaps it wasn't so perhaps she has been in season for a couple of days. Oh poo.
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
As the others have said bitches vary hugely with seasons my girls don't even seem to acknowledge their own but tRio will be just as interested in Milan when due in season as the boys are. A urine infection would involve much more constant weeing sometimes as frequently as every two minutes in Rio's case.
Thanks ever so much Trouble...especially about the urine infection...I think I may rule that out now.

Great I have a bitch in season with Cosmo and his furry plums, exactly the situation I was trying to avoid with Tango which is why she was spayed....irony...Tango would be coming into season now had she not been spayed.
Not very happy...
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2009, 08:22 AM
One of my bitches would always tiddle in the house, on the bedding etc., when she was due in season, although she was clean at all other times.

They do tend to lick themselves quite a bit, and turn round suddenly and look at their rear ends too, almost as if they have been tickled or stung.

Its quite difficult at this stage to tell whether she has an infection as their urine does smell quite strong when they are in season.

Also, whenever I took on an older bitch or looked after one for someone, within a week she would come into season..not sure why but it is apparently quite common.

You've got me a bit stumped too Ailsa and I don't really know what to advise
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2009, 08:24 AM
How long is she due to be with you A, if only a week and she goes back tomorrow/Sunday, although not ideal, i think you should be ok..even if her season did start a couple of days ago. But those who breed might be able to confirm this - I know you certainly wouldn't want to take the slightest of risks.

Typical timing though...I'm sure these things happen just to keep you on your toes.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2009, 08:29 AM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
One of my bitches would always tiddle in the house, on the bedding etc., when she was due in season, although she was clean at all other times.

They do tend to lick themselves quite a bit, and turn round suddenly and look at their rear ends too, almost as if they have been tickled or stung.

Its quite difficult at this stage to tell whether she has an infection as their urine does smell quite strong when they are in season.

Also, whenever I took on an older bitch or looked after one for someone, within a week she would come into season..not sure why but it is apparently quite common.

You've got me a bit stumped too Ailsa and I don't really know what to advise
She is so in season.
Swollen vulva
Smelly
Smelly pee
Licking herself
Sktiish
Moping a bit
Doing the looking at her bum like shes been stung thing

Oh poo.
Bloomin' typical.
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
How long is she due to be with you A, if only a week and she goes back tomorrow/Sunday, although not ideal, i think you should be ok..even if her season did start a couple of days ago. But those who breed might be able to confirm this - I know you certainly wouldn't want to take the slightest of risks.

Typical timing though...I'm sure these things happen just to keep you on your toes.
I believe day 12 is around the important time so she isn't near that yet....
She is going home tomorrow evening so I will keep her til then as I wouldn't want to unsettle the poor girl anymore than she is. How out of sorts must she be feeling?

You know...I should have expected it...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >