View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Breezay
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-01-2009, 09:08 PM

Dog keeps going toilet inside - Was toilet trained, Has he forgotten??

We got George (Cavalier King Charles Spaniel) just over a week ago. When we got him, he was very timid & shy. This has settled down with time and he seems more at home now.

The only problem we are having is that he has all of a sudden started going to the toilet inside our house, but only upstairs. He was toilet trained & I can't understand why he would start doing this now.
We've borrowed a spray from the Breeder we got him from and in the areas that we have used it, he has stopped using them.. But instead of being put off completely, he now finds new places to go in the house.
I am beginning to worry about why he is doing this. He shows no signs of wanting to go outside & wont go on the lead so he has to be let out into the garden. Then he tends to mess around instead of going toilet.

What can I do? Why is he only doing this now?
Before he could hold his business for at least 5 to 6 hours according to the breeder (however he was in a crate & left alone - whereas we have trained him to use a basket like our other dog & let him play in the house)
I really need advice.
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2009, 09:18 PM
When we got Amy, she was fully housetrained but we still had to start from scratch when we brought her home, I think it's just the change of environment, she didnt know where she was and was not allowed to "go" in our house, so we had to teach her.

I wouldnt make any fuss if he goes in the wrong place, just clean it up and make sure you get rid of the smell, but make LOADS of fuss when he gets it right, take him out in the garden on the lead and keep him on the lead until he "goes" then you can let him off to do his messing about, be firm and be consistent, he will soon learn what is and isnt acceptable, how old is he? It may just be a case of going back to basics

Pics please
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2009, 09:21 PM
Hi there.

You don't make it clear how old George is? But house training at one place (and particularly if he was crated all the time) is completely different to a new house with new smells etc. In any event, I would go back to treating him like a puppy.

Take him out regularly - when he does something outside, lots of praise. Until he gets the hang of it again, it may be best to restrict the areas of the house he can go in - at least if/while you are not around to keep an eye on him.

If he does mess in the house, don't tell him off, just clean it up
Breezay
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-01-2009, 09:26 PM
Sorry, George is 8 months old (I shall post some photos), at the moment I am restricting him to whichever floor I am on. We have a fairly small house (only 2 bedrooms) & I close the door to one room and the bathroom.. So basically there's just the master bedroom & the stairs (when I'm upstairs) & then downstairs he has free range of the lounge & kitchen.. But he doesn't seem interested in going to the toilet downstairs, just up. He actually sits by the door downstairs if he needs to go out but upstairs he will just go.

Just as a quick thought, he was never allowed upstairs in the house he was in before. The breeder has so many dogs and the males & females have to be kept apart so they are all in different places in the house. We had to teach him to go up & down the stairs.

Thankyou for your quick replies!
I am off to grab some photos x

George & Sox on the drive
George
George 2
George 3
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2009, 09:42 PM
Originally Posted by Breezay View Post
Sorry, George is 8 months old (I shall post some photos), at the moment I am restricting him to whichever floor I am on. We have a fairly small house (only 2 bedrooms) & I close the door to one room and the bathroom.. So basically there's just the master bedroom & the stairs (when I'm upstairs) & then downstairs he has free range of the lounge & kitchen.. But he doesn't seem interested in going to the toilet downstairs, just up. He actually sits by the door downstairs if he needs to go out but upstairs he will just go.

Just as a quick thought, he was never allowed upstairs in the house he was in before. The breeder has so many dogs and the males & females have to be kept apart so they are all in different places in the house. We had to teach him to go up & down the stairs.

Thankyou for your quick replies!
I am off to grab some photos x

George & Sox on the drive
George
George 2
George 3
Well, personally I think that answers your question....he isn't used to being upstairs and doesn't understand that it is all part of the house. He will get there with guidance from you. When he's upstairs with you, make sure you go downstairs (and then outside) with him regularly.

ETA - what a pair of sweeties
Breezay
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-01-2009, 09:52 PM
He can't seem to hold it (or wont hold it upstairs) for periods longer than 3 hours, would it be best to take him out every 3 hours or so just to make sure he goes outside wherever I am? Or only do it while we're upstairs?
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2009, 09:55 PM
I personally would do it regularly regardless of where you are in the house or he may start to think he can do it downstairs instead.

Lovely pic!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-01-2009, 12:14 AM
Hi Gemma I don't think George has forgotten I think he is not yet properly house trained, also any change of circumstances can upset a dogs pattern of behaviour. What are you feeding him and how may meals, he should be on two meals at 8 months.

I would start again from scratch as with a young puppy, it should not take long because George is older. This means taking George out and staying with him, he needs to go out very frequently to begin with at times when he most likely needs to go out , after sleep/food/play/excitement and about once every couple of hours until he gets into a routine.When he relieves himself give lots of praise.

As he is an older puppy try taking him for a short walk , he will be stimulated by the exercise and the smell of other dogs. Take some tip bits with you in your pocket and when he relieves himself give him lots of praise and a tip bit.

You can also teach George to relieve himself on command by adding a prompt word when he is in the middle of relieving himself so that he learns to associate the word with the action, I say 'beclean' , then don't forget the praise and give a tip bit the second he has finished . Pretty soon he will learn relieving himself outside is rewarding and brings a treat and your praise. Gradually phase out the treats but continue to praise.

Make sure the soiled areas in the house are throughly cleaned with biological washing powder to remove the scent of previous accidents. Remember never to scold or punish him if he does have an accident, doing so usually causes other problems.

Until he is housetrained George is best left in the kitchen and only taken to other rooms when you know he is 'empty'
I will continue this post below with suggestions about the lead..
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-01-2009, 12:29 AM
& wont go on the lead
...Gemma hasn't George been trained to go on a lead, if not I would try to get him used to one ASAP. Put a lead on when you are going to feed him, put the food down and let him walk to the dish on the lead, the food should act as a distraction and teach him to associate the lead with good things.

If there are two of you try putting the lead on and stand some distance apart, then bend down and offer a treat calling George to you and giving lots of praise when he comes, repeat .

This is going to sound a bit odd, as you say he was a bit shy, when you bend down wiggle your body this 'puppy wiggle' will help to put George at ease and you may find he copies you .
Jo_W
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-01-2009, 08:10 AM
Could he be scent marking what he perceives to be his territory?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >