Originally Posted by I-mac77 View Post
Awww, poor Icon, I'll keep fingers crossed you can cure his humping habits
me too Lorna

sorry, just couldn't resist.
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2008, 11:20 PM
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha now that is funny!!!!!
Thalice
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-01-2008, 02:14 AM
I am a 10 year old English Setter bitch and I know about boys. Humping is not just a sex thing it is a dominance thing and we girls do it to other dogs (and humans) to indicate that we know we are superior to them and to keep them in line.

So I think this is a behaviour thing, not a sex thing and neutering will make no difference. There are negligable health benefits in castrating male dogs. Testicular cancer is more common in active stud dogs rather than pets.

Our Fleet had to be castrated for medical reasons aged 8 years and he struggled with his weight before, but he is fat now and his coat is ruined. It has not affected his temperament or his status.

So my advice is dont do it - get yourself a trainer/behaviourist and go to classes and show off your spectacular dog.

Thalice-Malice
:smt077
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2008, 08:07 AM
Thanks hun,

I'm not entirely sure its dominance though, my friend is a behaviorist and she thought it was hormonal....especially as he only does it to spayed bitches, oh and people given half the chance....

I'm going to try and modify the behaviour, perhaps giving him something else to hump when he's in the mood so to speak.....
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2008, 11:11 AM
Max was neutered at about 8 months old. Not because he was a humper or anything, but because he is in contact with un-spayed bitches on a regular basis.

TBH, I haven't noticed anything different or untoward about him since he was done compared to other male Boxers. He is a bit on the tall side, but that could be down to the fact that his sire was huge!

And he doesn't have horrible dangly bits between his legs! Sorry people, but I hate to see huge plums dangling down.....

Murphy will be neutered in a couple of months as well.
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-01-2008, 11:18 AM
My mum's dog, Sam, was apparently done early. He was nine months old when my mum got him from a rescue, and had apparently been done for some time.

He's now nearly two, and apparently there are several things that are related to his early castration - he has a very fine puppy-like coat, and squats to pee. The vet and a behaviourist think both of these are to do with not being allowed time to mentally and physically develop. He also humps for Britain . Amber is approaching six months old and for the last few months, he has been trying it on with her at every opportunity. We think it's a dominance thing and discourage it whenever possible (she isn't too struck herself and usually tells him where to go!) .
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2008, 11:30 AM
I`ve never had an an-neutered male so I can`t help with the humping thing. However, I just wanted to point out that neutering a fearful dog or an aggressive bitch MAY have an adverse effect on behaviour due to the changes in testorerone / progesterone levels. This doesn`t rule out neutering, but it`s something people with dogs like this may want to consider, as these behaviours should be addressed beforehand. (I realise that this doesn`t affect the OP)
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-01-2008, 11:47 AM
i had my wein cross springer done as per advise of vet at 9 months wish i hadnt hes still acts like a baby and hes nearly 5 . and yes he still humps but so does my springer bitch!
dixiechick
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-01-2008, 12:56 PM
I had my CKC done at 6 months as he kept humping my daughter, who was only 2 at the time and he kept knocking her over and frightening her. As soon as he was done he stopped humping and has never done it since, he is nearly 5 years old now.

He still cocks his leg to pee and it hasn't affected his coat/growth in any way.

However he is the first dog I have ever had to have neutered and I have had dogs for over 20 years!! I have always had entire males happily living together and I have never had one of mine go awandering after a bitch.

In an ideal world maybe dogs should be done to reduce the amount of unwanted/abandoned puppies but I certainly don't think it is necessary to put your dog at risk by undergoing an operation without there being just cause to do so i.e for health reasons.

Just my humble opinion!!
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2008, 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by Lorna View Post
Thanks hun,

I'm not entirely sure its dominance though, my friend is a behaviorist and she thought it was hormonal....especially as he only does it to spayed bitches, oh and people given half the chance....

I'm going to try and modify the behaviour, perhaps giving him something else to hump when he's in the mood so to speak.....
Oh Lorna you can buy things for him, like a blow up doll of the dog world!
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >