View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sarah8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-01-2008, 07:30 PM
I myself don't believe neutering a dog for the sake of it but I had to have Harvey done a few months ago as I got another bitch puppy and she couldn't be neutered for medical reasons until she had a season. Thankfully I got him done just in the nick of time as she came into season a week later. Anyway, I was worried it was going to change him in some way but he is the same in every way, except he doesn't cock his leg so much nor hump the sofa or Tess. However, I should mention that Harvey is 3 this year so neutering probably wouldn't have affected his personality and behaviour that much. Icon is still a young male, he probably will start showing more male behaviour over the coming months. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2008, 07:42 PM
We had Jed neutered at around 7 months old. This was because he was awful as a puppy, wouldnt do as he was told, hyperactive etc. He'll be 2 next month and now, if he was anymore laid back, he'd be comatose, not sure if that was down to being done or simply growing up. As far as his growth was concerned, didnt seem to hinder him as, for a collie, he's a monster with huge shoulders, and was big as a pup. He does seem to suffer a bit with his weight, not sure if that is down to the snip as well since he eats very little and gets lots of exercise.

Flynn will be 10 months shortly and I wanted to wait until he was around 18 months and had finished growing. Although he's growing well height wise, he's very slim and i'd like him to fill out but his behaviour needs a serious toning down so I think the snip is a matter of urgency with him. Hopefully that will go some way to curing his arrogant, cocky ways!

Another reason for getting Flynn done is the addition of Kai. We're told he's 18 months old and I think neutering all round will help create a harmonious household!

I do believe in neutering for the sake of it. I would go so far as to say that for anybody who isnt a registered breeder, there should be some law or control brought in that says general pet owners must have their dogs and cats neutered.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2008, 07:49 PM
I'm not really for neutering boys, Charlie is only done as I was planning on breeding from Maddy and keeping her entire and keeping a bitch from her e.t.c.

Oh and he still humps, even moreso i'd say.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

27-01-2008, 07:50 PM
My previous dog was neutered at 17 months he was the softest loveable boy ever. Ollie was done at 6 months we have a field outside our front door and since losing Max and gaining Ollie there are a lot more dogs about and females that haven't been speyed so Ollie was done we did not want to breed or show. It has not affected his growth,we do have to watch his weight he use to hump in the beginning when excited but that has now stopped he will be 2 in June he is very laid back and a big cuddle monster. He is cautious of strangers but to be honest was from a tiny pup so not sure whether that has made a difference or not I personally don't think so.
At the end of the day it is personal choice and I think you have to do what is best for you and your dog.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2008, 07:53 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
We had Jed neutered at around 7 months old. This was because he was awful as a puppy, wouldnt do as he was told, hyperactive etc. He'll be 2 next month and now, if he was anymore laid back, he'd be comatose, not sure if that was down to being done or simply growing up. As far as his growth was concerned, didnt seem to hinder him as, for a collie, he's a monster with huge shoulders, and was big as a pup. He does seem to suffer a bit with his weight, not sure if that is down to the snip as well since he eats very little and gets lots of exercise.

Haha! thats the thing though ,get them done too young & they dont stop growing!!!!! There must be somw hormone that kicks in when they are mature that slows it all down or something, they can sort of end up too tall & slab sided.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2008, 07:59 PM
He isnt tall, in fact, he's got very short legs! He didnt grow height wise, just got very stocky! His ribs can still be felt so he isnt fat, he's just a bit of a bruiser!

Jed used to hump a little (but not people) and Flynn only ever occassionally tries to hump Jed when they are playing, he's never humped a toy, blanket or a leg!

I'm glad I dont have the kind of male dogs which hump constantly (a friend of mine used to often find wet patches on her duvet cover where her Lab had been hard at it - gross!!)
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2008, 08:11 PM
If he was my dog, I would have him neutered now. I, personally, believe that if a dog or bitch is not being bred from or show, then they should be neutered and spayed respectively. Although it's a personal choice now, I actually believe it should be made a legal requirement.

Neutering lowers testosterone levels. This can reduce or stop humping completely.

You said any thoughts are welcome, and these are mine.

I actually know of someone who shows dogs and one of his dogs is neutered. He's a friend of a friend. A couple of years ago this neutered dog won his class at Crufts.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2008, 10:00 PM
I believe it is a personal choice.

I do not plan to have Beau neutered unless there is a specific reason for doing so. My previous dog and family dogs were intact and I see no reason for Beau being any different
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2008, 10:39 PM
Thank you all for your thoughts and opinions, I think I will keep trying to modify his humping habits, and if I can cure them I'll probably try to keep him entire, but if not that I'm afraid his spotty balls will have to go lol!!!!
I-mac77
Almost a Veteran
Male 

27-01-2008, 10:41 PM
Awww, poor Icon, I'll keep fingers crossed you can cure his humping habits
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >