Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dave olley
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-09-2012, 11:29 PM

Tracking in the village hall.

I recently presented a 2 day seminar on training dogs. The morning sessions were in a hall, practical and theory with problem solving covering everything from dogs lunging at strangers to scent discrimination problems.The floor covering is vynel tiles so I thought it would be interesting to get the folks sat down around the edge of the hall and ask Jen to lay a track .This consisted of 5 short legs in the main room through the next room then out down the corridor past the kitchen and the toilets 2 articles small and blending with the floor colour.Jen pushed and scuffed her feet a little to make the difference.We had a large water bottle and a pole in it for a start.I used the same set up as I would at a trial and my little Nell put in the same performance tracking straight passed the seated on lookers inches away.Anyone else tracked somewhere different?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2012, 05:15 AM
Barry Gilbert always did a very good tracking demo at Crufts with Lowry a couple of times a day in the "Dogs Day Out" area on the green carpet in the ring which had had dogs on it all day.

the dog I lost this year was very young when the FMD broke out and farmland etc verboten, so we did a lot of hard surface tracking in the car park up the road.

I have run some tracking training in an indoor manege once when it was lashing it down outside and the dogs managed very well surprisingly.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2012, 08:18 AM
lol- yes we used to do this occasionally in a training class in a Church Hall I went to. The real problem was that the dogs kept getting sidetracked by the mice under the stage and the Boy Scouts discarded sweet wrappers.
dave olley
Dogsey Junior
Male 

26-09-2012, 08:25 AM
Thanks for your reply I tracked Nell a few years ago on a outdoor manege and like yourself found the suurface very trackable
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2012, 12:21 PM
Nowhere like that for us yet. We have tracked on field and moorland, but no hard surface tracking yet. We are relative novices.