View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AllyLambell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-04-2010, 11:44 AM
The Labradoodle and the Cockerpoo have been bred for over 50 years now for purpose - the Labradoodle was first bred in Australia over 30 years ago for assistance dogs for people allergic to doghair and the Cockerpoos were bred nearly 50 years ago in America. All the "knock-on" names like cavpoos, yorkiepoos, shnoodles etc are just money making ploys by usually unscrupulous people wanting to make more money than if they advertised them as crossbreeds. We personally tell people our dogs are crossbreeds, but the other day at a show someone asked what they were and I told her... her reply was " ooh there are loads of designer dogs where we live in Brighton" which infuriated me and hubby because they aren't designer dogs they are crossbreeds; not mongrels or mutts as some ignorant people call them and certainly not a designer accessory.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2010, 01:12 PM
Err excuse me whats wrong with mongrels & mutts? Nothing! Keep things in perspective. Its people at fault, not the dogs......
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2010, 01:24 PM
Originally Posted by AllyLambell View Post
The Labradoodle and the Cockerpoo have been bred for over 50 years now for purpose - the Labradoodle was first bred in Australia over 30 years ago for assistance dogs for people allergic to doghair and the Cockerpoos were bred nearly 50 years ago in America. All the "knock-on" names like cavpoos, yorkiepoos, shnoodles etc are just money making ploys by usually unscrupulous people wanting to make more money than if they advertised them as crossbreeds. We personally tell people our dogs are crossbreeds, but the other day at a show someone asked what they were and I told her... her reply was " ooh there are loads of designer dogs where we live in Brighton" which infuriated me and hubby because they aren't designer dogs they are crossbreeds; not mongrels or mutts as some ignorant people call them and certainly not a designer accessory.
Labradoodles and cockerpoos have been bred for a long time now, BUT there are many STILL doing firsts crosses, when surely now there should be no need to anymore if the "breeds" are established.

mo
AllyLambell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-04-2010, 03:14 PM
Originally Posted by mo View Post
Labradoodles and cockerpoos have been bred for a long time now, BUT there are many STILL doing firsts crosses, when surely now there should be no need to anymore if the "breeds" are established.

mo
You are quite right - in some respects If you mean a first cross being a first generation Labradoodle then this is because they imo are the better dog but if you refer to the other examples mentioned previously like the Yorkiepoos etc. then I agree it is just a gimicky con to make extra money. BTW there is NOTHING wrong with mongrels and mutts we've had many - I was just saying that some people call crossbreeds mongrels and mutts when the definition of a mongrel/mutt is a dog of "unknown parentage or more than 2 breeds crossed", whereas crossbreeds are just that.
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2010, 03:39 PM
You are quite right - in some respects If you mean a first cross being a first generation Labradoodle then this is because they imo are the better dog but if you refer to the other examples mentioned previously like the Yorkiepoos etc. then I agree it is just a gimicky con to make extra money. BTW there is NOTHING wrong with mongrels and mutts we've had many - I was just saying that some people call crossbreeds mongrels and mutts when the definition of a mongrel/mutt is a dog of "unknown parentage or more than 2 breeds crossed", whereas crossbreeds are just that.
this indicates to me that the "breeds" deterorate with further generations? if that is so then something is wrong IMO, breeders should always be breeding to improve, not to breed dogs that are not as good as their predecessors? so why continue? to me there are only two either a pedigree dog that is from parents of the same breed, or a mongrel which is a mixed breed, I am old school a mixed breed dog has always been called that in our family, its not a degoratory term whatsoever as our first dogs were mongrels and I never felt anything less than total love for them.

mo
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2010, 11:40 PM
Originally Posted by bijou View Post
I

the 'guilt' is in buying from the wrong sort of breeder - if all puppy buyers did their homework and ONLY bought form ethical breeders who undertook to take back any dog they had bred then there would be very little need for rescue centres at all - in fact the only truly responsible way of getting a dog is to go via the breed clubs - visit breeders from their recommended list and then be prepared to wait for your pup - buying from a breeder does NOT add to the number of dogs in shelters - buying irresponsibly does !

the dogs in rescue come from irresponsible feckless unethical and uncaring breeders - everytime folk buy a pup from them ( because they want one NOW, because they are cheaper, because they have loads of different breeds to choose from, because they are convenient etc etc ) you encourage them to breed more and the fall out ends up in shelters up and down the land

the power for change comes from the puppy/dog buying public - choosing the right kind of breeder is the best and most effective way of solving the rescue dog problem - getting a dog from rescue does nothing to solve the underlying problem it simply leaves room for another - buy ethically and just watch those numbers fall !!
erm, that’s not what the guilt would be for me. I could just never justify going to a breeder. Any dog I have is to be a pet, and there are plenty of those to choose from in a rescue to suit my lifestyle. I understand that some people will want a certain dog to show or work etc etc but for me, I just want a companion and both my rescue crossbreeds have done that job superbly. As long as dogs are sitting on death row, then that is where I will get a dog from. also, are you saying that people who get dogs from rescues are getting a dog in an irresponsible way?

I understand what you are saying, and in a perfect world there would be no need for rescues as only responsible breeders would breed and any unwanted dogs would go back to them. but that will never happen, and I think neutering and spaying is what is needed. I have only had crossbreeds, both from accidental litters so for me, that is where the biggest problem lies.

i think more people should become aware of the issues surrounding irresponsible breeders, and so those who buy from breeders will be more aware on what to look for coz the general public dont know the reality of what goes on.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2010, 12:03 AM
I may have read your post wrong, but the way it sounds is that you think less of mongrels than you think of crossbreeds… I don’t see the need to differentiate them like that.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2010, 12:47 AM
the dogs in rescue come from irresponsible feckless unethical and uncaring breeders
That is absolute nonsense. Perhaps there is some that do but definitely not all. Perhaps if you got involved with rescue you would get your eyes opened. As was pointed out before not only by myself a lot of people when they want "rid" never even consider contacting the breeder, throwing the dog into the nearest rescue is the easier option
Jadey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-04-2010, 11:44 PM
I personally don't like all the fancy names for what is a crossbreed/mongrel.

I have owned two crossbreeds/mongrels both from rescues one a Labrador/SBT who was black and white and the other i'm not sure what she was looked like a Collie Cross who was a dark chocolate and white.

I have also owned three boxers from breeders and i loved all 5 of them the same regardless of where we got them from

On another note i think people charging huge amounts of money for crossbreeds when we got ours for £10 and £25 is horrible. People who just see ££££.

On one website at the moment they're advertising BeaglexPug puppies for £950... that's just shocking! It just states both parents are KC reg and the puppies are 'very cute and very playful'.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2010, 12:33 AM
Wow! £950. Im speechless
Closed Thread
Page 15 of 50 « First < 5 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 25 > Last »