Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2011, 03:34 PM

Bitches In Season

I have 2 dogs and 2 bitches at home. Both bitches are rescues - one a GSD, 1 a Lurcher, both the same age (same DOB).

Last October, Jenzi (GSD) came into season and Tashi (lurcher) came into season a couple of weeks later. So given that most bitches have a 6 month cycle I was expecting both of them to come into season around April time.

Jenzi had her second season towards the end of April, although it was much lighter than the first will so little spotting on the floor that most would wonder if one fo the dogs hadn't cut a paw, rather than being in season. I'm not too worried as I have no reason to think there's anything wrong. She's showing no signs of anything physically wrong.

Tashi, on the other hand, has yet to have her second season. I know it doesn't have to be every 6 months exactly and that it can vary from bitch to bitch, just as biological cycles differ in all species, humans included.
But surely after 9 months she should have had some signs of coming into season?

Any ideas/advice please?
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2011, 03:58 PM
Dont worry, my old GSD bitch came in every 5mths, my Papillon pup came in bang on 6mths to the day, and my young BC had her first season at 14mths and her second one at 25mths, yes 1 bitch will sometimes bring another in but not always.
jeanette
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2011, 10:53 AM
i wouldnt worry too much. daphni sometimes comes in every six months, other times shes come in every 8. all dogs are different, and maybe just a thought as i saw this on a program i watched. the lurcher may not come in as often because you effectivley have a pack..

i say this because there was a breeder on a vets program, who bred bullmastiffs, and one of his bitches had really irregular seasons and whenever mated never carried pups to full term. this was because he also had two other bitches which were older and were "higher ranked" in their own little hierarchy, and when in packs its only the one bitch that has pups. once he had the older bitches done as he didnt want to breed from them again, the younger bitch came in regularly and had a successful litter of pups.

just a thought may be totally irrelevant, but could be a thing with you having two dogs and two bitches...
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2011, 11:44 AM
I have had bitches who came in as often as every 4 months & one who only came in once a year but was then in for 30 days each time. Bitches can vary widely.