Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mrsgally110807
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-10-2009, 06:40 PM

Puppy constant peeing!!

We got a BC bitch puppy on Friday who is very cute and has settled in really well. We have however got a problem with her peeing, she goes constantly!! We went out for a couple of hours this afternoon and when we got home she had peed in her crate. We cleaned that up and she then went again, within an hour of us being home she had peed five more times.

I know she is only a baby and it takes time to house train them but she just seems to be constantly peeing!! We restrict her water purely because she digs in the bowl and floods the place. When she does have access to the bowl (every hour or so when she is awake as she is normally charging around and thirsty) she drinks loads and if we go through to the garden and past the bowls she will always stop to drink,even if it's only been two minutes since she last had one. I am putting this down to her being a greedy puppy but even so this level of pee just doesn't seem normal, I don't remember our other dogs ever being this bad!!!

Any suggestions on what could be causing it? Is she just being greedy with her drinking and therefore passing extra wee?? 5 times in an hour just seems a lot, we are struggling to keep up with clearing up after her and we're running out of newspapers (she has a knack for getting every bit of paper wet when she goes!!)
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2009, 08:15 PM
Get a sample of her urine in a sterile container and pop into the vets with her to have her checked out. I wouldn't recommend restricting water tbh.
Hannaho
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-10-2009, 08:31 PM
i had this problem with my dog when she was a puppy it turns out she has a weak bladder and bless her she has her accidents in the night sometimes - not always though she is getting better.

get your puppy checked with the vet its probaly nothing she might even just be putting her scent down but get her checked out just incase xxx
gemma riley
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-10-2009, 09:57 PM
Sounds like a normal puppy to me! They are only babies, dont restrict water, pupster will soon learn when water is needed. Why dont you just house train the pupster straight away instead of using paper... might help you a little bit?

I do think its a bit mean to leave a puppy for a couple of hours and not expect them to go to the toilet!!

With the digging in the bowl, get a bowl stand so it is raised off the floor, always found it cures this problem.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2009, 05:59 AM
Definitely don't restrict water.

I have to agree with Gemma that this sounds like a normal puppy to me......

Good luck!
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2009, 06:12 AM
I am on the fence here - it could be a normal puppy but if she were mine I'd take her for a vet check, because what you describe could be abnormal.

Also, constant drinking is not usually the sign of a greedy puppy, but could show something like a kidney problem. Dogs will drink lots when there is no balance in the urinary system due to malfunctioning kidneys etc.

Good luck, I'd take her to the vet asap just to totally ensure all is OK with her, do let us know how it goes won't you?

Wys
x
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2009, 06:38 AM
Our latest collie (now 6mths) was very like this as a baby pup there are times when I swear I took her down the garden 6or 7 times some hours I never used newspaper indoors cant see the point of training a pup to use newspaper then retraining to go outside,Its one of those things when patience and vigilence pays off in the end I would take her out every time she sniffed, circled,ate stopped playing woke up, goodness knows howmany times I was out side with her during the day, but it paid off by 9weeks she was asking to go out, then of course we went through the stage of wanting to go out half a dozen times an hour, she did of course have the odd accident but it was always my fault for not reading the signs.Even now at 6mths I never ignore her when she asks to go out or even walks towards the door.
Enjoy your pup and by the way you cant have too many puppy pics on here

Jeanette
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2009, 06:49 AM
When Tala first came home she used to wee every minute from excitement. There was no time to get her outside. So I began carrying her from the crate to the garden and rewarding her for going there. She soon understood and we had no more wet rugs
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2009, 07:01 AM
Sounds absolutely like a normal puppy to me.... Codee is 10 weeks old now and always weeing, usually after I have spent time with her outside and then comes in goes to her training pad and does it on that but at least its not on the carpet!!! We praise her when she goes outside and she is learning fast, but obviously at that age their bladders are very weak, so accidents ignored (unless you catch them in the act....) and lots of praise when they do it outside!!
As for restricting water, it was suggested I restricted Deacon's water when he was a pup but he was just as bad with his weeing, I let Codee have free reign over the water bowls, but then my Jamie likes to paddle in his bowls anyway!!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2009, 09:39 AM
Originally Posted by mrsgally110807 View Post
We got a BC bitch puppy on Friday who is very cute and has settled in really well. We have however got a problem with her peeing, she goes constantly!! We went out for a couple of hours this afternoon and when we got home she had peed in her crate. We cleaned that up and she then went again, within an hour of us being home she had peed five more times. .................................................. .......

Any suggestions on what could be causing it? Is she just being greedy with her drinking and therefore passing extra wee?? 5 times in an hour just seems a lot, we are struggling to keep up with clearing up after her and we're running out of newspapers (she has a knack for getting every bit of paper wet when she goes!!)
You are actually teaching your puppy to toilet indoors by using newspapers for her to toilet on.

A more modern & logical approach is to go outdoors with her at least once an hour plus, everytime she wakes up, has eaten, starts sniffing or circling & stay out with her until she goes to the toilet & when she does lots of praise & a high value treat.

To restrict water for any dog is in contravention opf the 2006 Animal Welfare Act. Are you feeding her a dry diet ? If so then she will need constant access to water.

To expect a very young puppy to go 2 hours without going to the toilet during the day is a bit much, they have little control over their very small bladders whilst young & I would expect a puppy to need to go to toilet at least every hour.

If your puppy toilets indoors, simply clean it up saying nothing to the puppy & make sure you clean the area thoroughly with diluted biological washing liquid & kitchen roll to help dry it up & removed all the residual scent.

I would also take her to the vets for a thorough health check
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >