Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rueben
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-10-2011, 09:28 AM

Dog wormers

A couple of threads at the moment has drawn my attention to health problems and worms.
I am sure there will have been previous threads on the subject that I haven't seen but what is the opinion on different treatments for worms!

Drontal-- for killing all intestinal worms seems ok but not for lung worm(heartworm to some)
Advantage-- for lungworm but not all intestinal worms.

I have not been giving anything for lungworm as I thought the problem was further South but I think I should as it is on the increase.

Although heartworm is passed on by infected mosquitoes I do get a fair share of slugs and snails in the garden so could be in danger of lungworm.
Can the parasite infect by licking the slime as well as eating slugs and snails?
Would alternating Drontal with Advantage be effective rather than giving both in the same time space?
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2011, 09:39 AM
Originally Posted by rueben View Post
A couple of threads at the moment has drawn my attention to health problems and worms.
I am sure there will have been previous threads on the subject that I haven't seen but what is the opinion on different treatments for worms!

Dontral-- for killing all intestinal worms seems ok but not for lung worm(heartworm to some)
Advantage-- for lungworm but not all intestinal worms.

I have not been giving anything for lungworm as I thought the problem was further South but I think I should as it is on the increase.

Although heartworm is passed on by infected mosquitoes I do get a fair share of slugs and snails in the garden so could be in danger of lungworm.
Can the parasite infect by licking the slime as well as eating slugs and snails?
Would alternating Dontral with Advantage be effective rather than giving both in the same time space?
hi lungworm is really on the increase and its best not to wait until your dog gets symptoms,also symptoms can be vague and varying.

as far as i was aware it is ADVOCATE not advantage that covers for it(as well as panacur and milbemax at specific dose rates for it)

........and yes i alternate rather than give them at the same time.
rueben
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-10-2011, 09:43 AM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
hi lungworm is really on the increase and its best not to wait until your dog gets symptoms,also symptoms can be vague and varying.

as far as i was aware it is ADVOCATE not advantage that covers for it(as well as panacur and milbemax at specific dose rates for it)

........and yes i alternate rather than give them at the same time.
Thanks for the correction I am sure you are right.
Which one would you suggest I get.
Do you have any thoughts on alternating?
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2011, 09:57 AM
i use advocate ...tbf unless your dog is a hunter, kennelled or eats raw there is no need to use another wormer that often as its really only tapeworm that isnt covered,i tend to use a tapewormer a couple of times a year unless tupac has a real spate of finding his own food(my others dont manage to hunt like he does)
rueben
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-10-2011, 10:09 AM
[QUOTE=Tupacs2legs;2380044] Thanks.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2011, 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by rueben View Post
I don't think the environment is a problem but Ruby does get raw meats.
Am I wrong but doesn't Advocate kill all intestinal worms including tapeworms!
I was thinking on the lines of alternating treatments to give full cover in an extended time phase rather than giving for both intestinal and lung worms in the same time phase.
Wondered if that would be effective enough as I don't want to give more chemicals than necessary. Thanks.
the only thing advocate does not do is tapeworm.(hence why i treat for it separately)
rueben
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-10-2011, 10:22 AM
Soz I removed that post but hadn't seen your reply. I realized it was Drontal I was thinking about not Advocate.
Then Avdocate and one for tapeworm would be best. Thanks again.
alexgirl73
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-10-2011, 12:56 PM
I use advocate for Ranger monthly and he's just had a milbemax on friday (he's raw fed) which will be given every 3 months
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2011, 01:13 PM
I found it all very interesting when I was researching this last week, when I found out that Stronghold only actually covers ONE worm Even Pancur doesn't cover them all, nor does Drontil, although that covers nearly all.

I found this fantastic link which shows you which wormer does what worms, but I can't seem to copy and paste it, so have to post this link, hope it's allowed!
http://www.mansionhillvets.co.uk/pri...ets/pdf/dw.pdf

All very informative I thought, especially the graph bit!

I've been having the poo samples checked regularly, but quite honestly, I think that's been a complete waste of time, energy and money coz they can't see a lot of them, and sometimes I wonder whether they have not been checked thoroughly enough coz they have always come back negative and I've been told there's no need to worm. Whereas, when I've wormed, I've seen a complete recovery in both my dogs, especially with that 3 day Panacur.
rueben
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-10-2011, 02:36 PM
That's interesting Helena.
I think Drontal kills all intestinal worms but not heart worm or lung worm as they live in the blood vessels and heart.
Lung worms can be spread by frogs as well as slugs and snails and probably other things as well.
I can't remember where I read it now but it was something about testing for worms in a floating test can be inconclusive because tapeworm dissolves in the liquid and can't be seen.
I did read your post and if you saw what looked like rice in the poop I think you can take that as being tapeworm.
Ruby hasn't had any problems with worms but your post did make me think I should give more complete treatment.
Thanks
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >