Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tori
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2009, 11:47 AM

oh no fleas!

I have just found 2 fleas in the house, not actually on Harvey, i have frontlined him straight away but what do i do next this is the first time for us. I have Acclaim to spray around the house will i do that next? please help!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2009, 12:13 PM
I`d wash the bedding - his! - and yours if he gets on your bed. And throws if he gets on the sofa. And hoover round.
Be aware it may not be dog fleas - cat fleas can survive for ages off the cat.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2009, 12:28 PM
I think they say you need to vacuum before using Acclaim. I find it very good (that and Novakil) and as long as you follow the instructions, paying particular attention to edges of rooms, under radiators etc., I'm sure you'll have no more problems for months.

When we had cats we were always getting fleas before we started using acclaim/novakil. We only had to spray the house about once every 5-6 months, it was great.

Be systamatic about how you spray - work back to the doorway so you don't have to walk through the room when you've sprayed and make sure all pets are out of the room.

I finish off with the hall/stairs (never bothered with the kitchen) and then used to take the dogs out for a long walk so we were out of the house for 3 or so hours.
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2009, 01:26 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I`d wash the bedding - his! - and yours if he gets on your bed. And throws if he gets on the sofa. And hoover round.
Be aware it may not be dog fleas - cat fleas can survive for ages off the cat.
Never knew that about cat fleas. Found some fleas oon Scratch and Louis and wondered how they got them. The neighbours had two cats and just found them new homes. Yay for flea season.
I vaccum, vaccum vaccum and frontline.
Tori
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2009, 03:14 PM
whew!! im knackered hoovered like mad then sprayed acclaim everywhere except kitchen and bathroom and washed a few of his covers and stuff. Thanks for the advice, i have been noticing quite a few new cats about as well. Hopefully im gonna beat them (the fleas not the cats lol)
I really thought Harvey was itching because of seasonal allergies but he must have been bitten and i know cairns can be allergic to flea bites.

Do u think the frontline will take care of them if there is any on him?
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2009, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by Tori View Post
whew!! im knackered hoovered like mad then sprayed acclaim everywhere except kitchen and bathroom and washed a few of his covers and stuff. Thanks for the advice, i have been noticing quite a few new cats about as well. Hopefully im gonna beat them (the fleas not the cats lol)
I really thought Harvey was itching because of seasonal allergies but he must have been bitten and i know cairns can be allergic to flea bites.

Do u think the frontline will take care of them if there is any on him?
hi.
you have done 'belts and brace's' so to speak,the thing to remember is,they live in the enviroment not on your pet,and you can bring them home too,youve sprayed the house with a reputable brand and have treated harvey,the fleas the spray may have missed have to feed off 'h' so the frontline will deal with them i would treat him again in a couple of weeks if you still have a problem,frontline is non-systemic and very safe,
dont worry it will be fine.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2009, 09:16 PM
Personally, I would have only vacuumed extensively (in every nook and cranny of the house), washed all bedding and Frontlined the dog (I hate using chemicals around the house). I would imagine with all that you've done, your problem will be solved, so long as you keep up the vacuuming for a few weeks.
Tori
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2009, 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
hi.
you have done 'belts and brace's' so to speak,the thing to remember is,they live in the enviroment not on your pet,and you can bring them home too,youve sprayed the house with a reputable brand and have treated harvey,the fleas the spray may have missed have to feed off 'h' so the frontline will deal with them i would treat him again in a couple of weeks if you still have a problem,frontline is non-systemic and very safe,
dont worry it will be fine.
Thanks so much for the advice and being reassuring and everyone else too thanks. I vaccuum everday anyway so i will continue with that and we'll see how things go.
Tori
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2009, 04:48 PM
Found a bit of flea dirt on harvey does that mean there is still fleas or could it be from a few days ago?