Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Harry21
Dogsey Junior
Male 

30-06-2009, 11:22 PM

What should I walk a husky with?

Hello I hope someone could advise me what type of harness or coller etc would be best suited to a Siberian Husky male, who pulls while being walked?

He has a harness (not sure which type off hand) & a halti. The halti helps a lot, but he can sometimes escape from it. He dosn't know re-call so him escaping the halti is the main concern. His lead is clipped to both the harness and halti incase one was to break. My GSD is walked on a rope slip lead which seems good, but we are worried the Husky might get out this too.

Thankyou
SibeVibe
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-07-2009, 09:39 AM
Hello

My guys wear Manmat walking harness's when they are out (superb quality and machine washable). We use Manmat bungee leads attached to our walking belts to lessen the haul

Isaac wears a neckline from his collar to his harness just for extra paranoid security

I noticed on one of the sled dog supply sites that bungee leads were not recommended to be attached to a dogs collar. Some had presented at vets with whiplash Have always harness walked mine so not a bother for us

Hope this helps a bit. Any photo's of the boy to drool over

Take care.

Seoniad
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2009, 10:03 AM
We use a Halti harness on my old girl. It helps with the pulling but doesnt seem to annoy her as much as the normal halti. You also still use a collar which is good and its the only harness she didnt figure how to get out of with a shoulder drop wiggle technique.

I have also tried a walkright harness but this wasn't that good and rubbed under her front legs.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2009, 10:22 AM
Have you seen the snugglepets harnesses? I use them on my gsd, not because she pulls, but because gsd's are famous for collar slipping, so I feel more secure when she's got a harness on. They're fleece, so very soft and comfortable, but the best thing about them is you don't have to do any of that leg lifting either, you just slip it over the head, bring up each side and clip and I guarantee no dog would be able to wriggle their way out of it either! The Jigsaw harness is brilliant too, bit blingy, but I've got one of those too, and the beauty of that is, it comes in different pieces, so you can get an exact fit top and bottom, but it still fits the same way on the dog, no leg lifting to put it on.
Harry21
Dogsey Junior
Male 

01-07-2009, 11:28 AM
Thankyou. I'll look into those mentioned x

Harry21
Dogsey Junior
Male 

01-07-2009, 11:42 AM
Will these harnesses help with the pulling tho? I thought Harnesses were meant for pulling?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2009, 11:44 AM
He's gorgeous isn't he! That harness looks too tight and pinchy to me??? Mine is much, much wider, softer and wouldn't sink in like that is?

Here's the website for the snugglepets ones:

http://www.snugglepets.co.uk/index.p...cPath=19_20_28

That's the size 5 which should be the right size for your boy. Take a look at those Jigsaw ones too, they have pictures of them on dogs as well as the fleece ones.
SibeVibe
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-07-2009, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by Harry21 View Post
Will these harnesses help with the pulling tho? I thought Harnesses were meant for pulling?
He really is a lovely lad

Harness's wont help with the pulling I'm afraid, it's in the blood . I've never used a halti on any of mine so can't really comment on the do's and don'ts. My guys are trained to walk to heel, unless there are squirrels, cows, sheep, mice.....

I only have experience with sled dog walking harness's, the D ring attachment is further down the back rather than sitting on the shoulder blades. Helps distribute the weight when the little monsters are in the zone

Hope you find one that suits. That boy is gonna suit any colour
Harry21
Dogsey Junior
Male 

01-07-2009, 03:30 PM
SibeVibe, was teaching your husky's to heal any different than with other breads? The husky in my family will be two in october.
SibeVibe
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-07-2009, 04:10 PM
It didn't take them long to get the hang of it. Sibes know exactly what is expected of them pretty quickly. It's getting the little imps to stay focused that's the fun bit I figured out their hook and started off with 10 minute sessions in the back garden each day. If you have a good local trainer it would be worth taking the boy along or there are some excellent dog trainers on Dogsey that would be able to offer you some sound advise.

To my guys when mummy sings 'heel' in a high pitched girly voice they are about to play the 'garden game'. I don't use it every day with them, only when circumstances dictate, though they still do heel training as part of their mental exercises most days, we live in a small village and are right out onto the trails with the dogs. But when we are in built up areas or they visit their Nana then I'm armed to the hilt with furry babies and little bits of smelly cheese Most of the time I must confess my lot are out in front attached to my walking belt

Best of luck, keep it fun with him and you'll be fine

Take care

Seoniad.