View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

07-10-2011, 10:14 PM

Your feedback for Rescues (if you ended up not rescuing)

If you've considered rescuing a dog but got put off, please take a few moments to say why things didn't work out.

Please also add what you ended up doing - did you end up getting/buying a dog? How old is the dog now? Did you get a dog and had to rehome him/her? Why? Did you regret not rescuing from the rehoming centre?

The purpose of this thread is to provide feedback to rescues - please don't use it to bash them, try to be constructive... we want rescues to be in a better position to do a greater job than they already do, right?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2011, 07:41 AM
I didn`t rescue a GSP (`in desperate need` so they said) because the woman in the phone interview said, in an accent you could cut glass with....
Ai`m looking at your hice on Google View......(pregnant pause) ........ It seems nort to have any land..........(haughty sniff)....... We don`t allow OUR GSPs to go to town people.......
So in spite of the fact I have had two rescue GSPs, foster for 2 Rescues and will take challenging dogs apparently I`m not classy enough.
ps - she nearly had a fit when I said I didn`t drive!
So now I`ve got a Prince instead of a Pointer.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2011, 08:06 AM
Oh my god, Claire I can't believe she said that! I have to admit I do look at google view before I homecheck or assess a dog for staffie rescue but that's more to ensure I am not going somewhere incredibly dodgy and to identify house before I get there so I know where I am going!!
What a cheek!
HWestie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-10-2011, 09:53 AM
I phoned
the cavalier king Charles rescue and the posh sounding woman suggested I'd be better off getting another westie and she seemed reluctant to send an application form because we'd never owned one before! I did get the form but I'm not interested now.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2011, 10:46 AM
A very savvy dog friend was refused a young dog because at time she worked 26 hours per week despite fact someone would be at home most of the day - she was told it wouldnt be her dog as she wouldn't be looking after it - the dog never homed & ended up being sent on the Dogs Trust transport to the mainland....

She bought a pup instead
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2011, 10:49 AM
Not rescue but fostering, offered help to the greyhound gap and many tears. refused because my 2 NI girls are unspayed and they dont foster to houses with unneauted animals.

Fostering been put on hold at the moment due to Cassie being a bit moody with other dogs (the spayed bitch!).
susie fischer
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-10-2011, 12:25 PM
I have 7 rescue dogs of various breeds from small to large. I have been turned down by rescues (on initial phone enquiry) for the following reasons1) I am single (2) I work (3) I have cats (4) I already have too many dogs (5) My house is not detached (6) There is a pond in my garden
I have only had rescue dogs for the last 40 years and although there are now thousands of dogs desperate for homes, some rescues have policies too set in concrete and don't even give the potential adopter the opportunity to validate their suitability as potential owners. At the end of the day the main aim is to get each and every dog into a secure loving home - which does not necessarily mean a married couple in a detached house set in 5 acres of pondless land!!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2011, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by Razcox View Post
Not rescue but fostering, offered help to the greyhound gap and many tears. refused because my 2 NI girls are unspayed and they dont foster to houses with unneauted animals.

Fostering been put on hold at the moment due to Cassie being a bit moody with other dogs (the spayed bitch!).
I was turned down as a fosterer by the Oldies people after a home visit.
The official reason was that Daisy was `too dominant` because she threw a toy for her and Daisy wouldn`t give it back.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2011, 01:36 PM
Many years ago I contacted a very local gsd rescue place, as we had just lost one of ours and I wanted company for the other one, but didn't want to buy another puppy, even though I could well afford to, I just wanted to give one a good home.

The woman at the other end of the phone was so condescending, she assumed I had no experience with shepherds, even though we had had 4 by that time only one of them being given to us at 18 months old, the other 3 all puppies I had brought up myself. I tried my best to convince her that we were the right home for a dog, but her condescending attitude towards me over the phone, got right up my nose, so I told her thanks, but no thanks I will go out and buy yet another puppy, which we did!

A few years later, I tried again, with a very well known well established local rescue. The lovely guy came round to our house, saw my dog friendly environment, my 6ft fencing all the way around, the friendliness and obedience of my current wo dogs I had at that time, and told me I would get 5*'s with the home I had to offer. However, further on down the line, I was contacted by the treasurer of said rescue, and yet again, the condescending, God's gift to dogs attitude, got right up my nose again, so I told her in no uncertain terms I would be taking the puppy route again, which we did! Jeeeeze!

My current rescue's warden, was the local council dog warden, who just knew from our first meeting that I was THE right person for said dog, but he came round anyway to do a house check, met my other dog, saw that I knew what I was doing with this breed, so let me have him without question. Perfick!

I really WANT to take rescue route again when the time is right for Zena, because she will be able to cope, whereas Georgie would never have coped with a rescue (hence the reason we bought Zena as a puppy for him), but if they give me their "attitude" again, then they can forget it.

I do find Dog's Trust to be most pleasant and helpful, whereas out of 2 experiences with my particular breed rescues, I didn't find that at all, all I found was snobbiness and doubting, almost as if, I'm not good enough for their breed, in fact, I don't think anybody is from the attitude I got, and twice! Purely my own experiences though - sadly!
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2011, 07:44 PM
I have phoned a rescue and been told that I wasnt able to rehome as I havent owned the breed before. There was no known issues etc when I asked and there were no open questions asked to me, to see if I had ever owned any other dogs, where I lived, did I know about the breed....nothing, no recommendations to other dogs they had either. Just felt it was a bit; no you couldn't possibly manage, without knowing anything about me (or the dog in question tbh). Not a single enquiry about me, explanation, recommendation, nothing.

I have also been looking at sites and tbh its ok saying people need to contact them (rescues) before saying they wouldnt get a dog but WHY would I waste my time when their websites make it perfectly clear that there is no point getting in touch when their rules state X, Y, Z etc which totally exclude me as a potential 'adopter'
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >