Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2007, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by Stormey View Post
Is that possible. She is one of the things that is wrong with this country today, sending out the message, you dont have to work hard, but just be an anonoying idiot and become a millionire.
and then your bring your mum in ...she gets a house 60 min makeover and a face lift ...great eh ?
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2007, 07:41 PM
Originally Posted by Inca View Post
and then your bring your mum in ...she gets a house 60 min makeover and a face lift ...great eh ?
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr:evil :
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2007, 07:48 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I don't normally watch it but I did last night. Personally I don't think it's racist, more the fact that Jade Goody has a big chip on her shoulder about her own childhood and consequently is jealous of this girl. She also feels sort of "above the rest" coz she's been in there before, so feels like she's the head of the family, and likes showing off to the others and wants them all to be against this girl she's got the bea in her bonnet about!

Personally, I also think the girl is handling things very well indeed. Don't forget they edit a lot of it so we're not seeing the whole story, suffice to say the Channel 4 producers want Jade to look the baddie in all of this coz it makes for good tv! There might be some truth in what Jade is actually saying about her, i.e. she's up her own, that's probably true, but perleeeease, just a few short words to let her know that would have sufficed rather than go on and on and on like she did imo, making herself look a right nasty piece of work. It can't have done much for her own street cred can it!!!! She might be very surprised when she comes out, her fan club might have diminished somewhat, Jade Goody's I mean, not the other girl, it's made her look quite good!
i think its been blown out of proportion and jade is a bully a girl like her has done herself great harm
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2007, 08:46 PM
Jade has ruined her career, did you hear on the news that they've dropped her perfume range! It was in the houses of parliament about it too! I don't think its racist directly, I think Jade just hates her, and the fact that she's Indian has made everyone go RAAAA. But from the clips that I have seen/heard so far, Jade does seem to be making herself out to be a bit of a lady dog!
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2007, 01:19 AM
Ok, forget about all the crap about Jade as a person, whether or not she is celebrity or not etc etc - it doesn't matter.

I don't care who is celebrity or not everyone is equal to me.

I don't think she is out and out racist but it's like with most things people will pick on whatever it is making a person different to them when they want to attack...If Shilpa was fat - she would be a 'fat cow' if she was gay - she would be a f-ing dyke - etc etc.

I think the term for how Jade, Jo and Danielle have all been is ignorant bullies. And it's not just Jade it is all three of them oh and not forgetting Jack who was the first to say he 'f-ing hated her'.

These three girls on their own were fine but boy they brought out the worse in each other. I don't think Jade would have said nadda if she had of been in a group of different people - same for the other two girls actually - to me it was like they got together and egged each other on - Just like school kids - they felt empowered by each other and took things further and further, if they didn't have the back up and support of one another it would have never went that far and also if other people in the house wern't just standing by and watching it and actually spoke up it would have never gone that far.

I think it was down to that they just don't get on yet it makes none of it right and at times I was disgusted and really felt for Shilpa as I would anyone being singled out and being made to feel awful. I felt so bad because here is this one person against a pack of 4 and totally alone.

Apparently they had to quickly edit out a clip where Jack could be seen to mouth f-ing p**ki - now that is racist no doubt about it - although I don't know if this is just rumour.

Whether it is racism or not it boils down to the same thing 1person being isolated and made to feel like crap and it's not on and I feel for anyone in that situation - for whatever reason the hate is for - because your gay - fat - thin - brainy - unintelligent - this race or that race or just because your you it cuts the same way

If there is one good thing about BB it shows how people act in general and it is actually a reflection of what goes on in society everyday and if it makes people aware of this and take stock of their own actions and how they treat people then GOOD! and if it helps other people relate to a person being singled out so they can see it happens to other people and it's not just them, then GOOD! It's not all bad and actually helps in a way.

Lastly I think the reaction the girls will get on leaving will show them the error of their ways hopefully. That's good - unfortunatly we don't have the ability to bring down the day to day bullies / hatefull / ignorant people the same way.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

19-01-2007, 01:23 AM
Interesting discussion guys.. I just blogged about this

Well I wasn't going to watch it, but sneaked a peak at two shows! Monday 15th Jan and Wed 17th Jan (which I watched today). My opinion is based on these two shows and what I have seen reported on the news.

The big question is, have we seen evidence of racism?

Yes. Without a doubt.

But hold on, there's more to it than that. It goes much deeper and is part and parcel of the overall picture which we really need to take into account.

I don't think they dislike Shilpa just because she is an Indian. I don't believe they are 'racists' in that extreme sense. However they have made racist remarks which is ultimately, still racism. It may not be of the extreme form, but it is unacceptable nonetheless.

I think they dislike her because she is more beautiful, more intelligent, more successful, of better class, has better manners, has achieved more, and even has a better grasp of the English language than they do themselves (ok accents may pose a problem, but overall, Shilpas English vocabulary far exceeds Jades and her friends). I guess all in all she is almost everything they are not. And (in their eyes) to add insult to injury, she's not even from this country.

Insecurities and jealousy kick in, which is what you'd expect. But unfortunately, it goes a step further, and in their attempt to find absolutely anything and everything to attack, they take shots at her racial background. Their hatred and contempt has basically forced some of their deeper rooted feelings to surface.

Telling someone to go back where you come from (which I think Jades mother said) is racist. Saying that the reason all Indians are thin is because they are always ill due to them undercooking their food, too has racist undertones (why would anyone choose to make themselves ill? And an entire race? ). Saying she should go back home pretty much echoes it too - which was in yesterdays show. Generally, people in the house, when they want other housemates to leave, say, why don't blah blah 'walk' or 'leave' or 'get out' or 'f* off' even - I can't recall one single instance when someone has said, 'she should go back home'. The key here is telling someone to go home, they know she does not live in Britain hence it echoes that old and widely known of racist taunt: Why don't you go back to where you came from.

So yes. We have seen racism. But like I mentioned, it's not of the extreme sort, it's the undercurrent type which is equally upsetting and unacceptable.

Now I've got that out of the way I can say what I think about the show and the contestants themselves!

First of all, I actually think Channel 4 has done us a favour by airing the show. I think it gives us a little snapshot and reminder of what goes on in Britain.

I know it does because I have seen it. Prejudice and immaturity of this kind (whether it be about race or sexuality) goes on, day in day out. And I think it's good that the show has made us all step back and take notice.

With regards to the contestants themselves? All of the British ones remaining, apart from H (of steps) are an absolute disgrace. They really have showed us all up, across the world. The Americans have been excellent ambassadors for their Country, it's just a massive shame we can't say the same thing about 'our lot'
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-01-2007, 01:40 AM
Originally Posted by myschievous View Post
Apparently they had to quickly edit out a clip where Jack could be seen to mouth f-ing p**ki - now that is racist no doubt about it - although I don't know if this is just rumour.
No Mys , it isn't just rumour, he made this comment and other similar ones before. Daniella has made some very nasty comments about Shilpa too..

No one seems to have mentioned Jade's tactless conversations with Jermain, she made a comment about him being 'very black' and asked why Michael wasn't, Jermain indicated his brother had the skin condition Vitiligo, she also asked how the family felt about the allegations about Michael and if he was bankrupt. I think this is what prompted the remark Jermain made in private about the phrase white trash coming to mind . Jermaine was clearly embarrased about the questions...

What would Jade/the others have said if Jermain had commented on her being so white when she clearly of mixed race.

I am amazed the other housmates are so reluctant to get involved in the Shilpa thing , actress or not Shilpa is a guest in this country.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2007, 01:56 AM
Yeah I know quite a few very tactless people too - for her lack of tact I don't think that makes her an entirely bad person and it is up to the person involved with her conversation to gauge how to take that. I thought Jo's comment to H when they were talking about gay people was tactless too 'I think it's accepted quite well in this country but you know you wouldn't want to force it on people...' and was saying to H how blokes are ok with other blokes being gay but would be offended if they started flirting etc...or words to a similar context...meaning that every gay person must want everyone in the whole world and can't resist anyone where as this never has to be said about straight people as it isn't nearly as disgusting if they make a wrong move on someone so long as they are opposite sex...blah blah blah...

On radio 1 they were also joking away on the Chris Moyles show about Jackiey being a one armed lesbian and how you couldn't wish for a better stereotype but I guess it went unchastised.

I think all sorts of people make all sorts of tactless comments everyday without even realising it to be honest.

When I stayed in america my own other halfs family and friends made some really ridiculous comments about Briton - wanted me to repeat ceratin words a 100 times 'cuz they sound funny' I even got asked if we had proper toilets over here - man, if you wanted me to feel like a frikken alien well done! I was home sick and everyday these comments didn't help! 'Oh you do this over there' 'you eat that?' 'Don't eat that'? blah blah blahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh *yawns*...lol My OH gets it over here to, to a certain extent. In the end I just delt with it by saying to everyone that they were all 'just watered down brits anyway' lol.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2007, 01:57 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
No Mys , it isn't just rumour, he made this comment and other similar ones before. Daniella has made some very nasty comments about Shilpa too..
I think in that case he should have been booted and the reason given.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2007, 02:13 AM
My mum just said she read they have burning effergies of her in India?...I think Jade has been a real b***h but burning effergies?
Page 8 of 15 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 > Last »