Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2009, 09:12 AM

blood in poo....off to vets

Zeita has been off colour yesterday she was sick in the morning and dribbled like mad for about half hour, mum and ash talked me out of taking her to vets as she and the other GSDs are often sick. She was ok for the rest of the day a bit quiet but still wet nosed and willing to play etc

last night she ate some tea but not all of it......but neither did Zak.

Slept till 6.30 and she got restless just couldn't settle, let her out and she did a poo that was normal to start but ended runny and with fresh blood in it.....she then went on to play ball but is now curled up asleep. Again still wet nosed but quieter than normal.

Off to vets at 10.20 fingers crossed for nothing serious. i am hoping its just Christamas excesses eg bones, beef, turkey, treats etc lol.....

The bad start to 2009 continues

fingers crossed for her please xx
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2009, 09:22 AM
Aww, bless her, I've got my fingers crossed firmly here.

Was there any jelly like substance in what she passed? If so it could be colitis...one of my setters used to suffer badly with that and the tell tale sign was the jelly stuff...the blood would vary from bright red to dark red, depending on the severity, apparently it is the straining to pass the motions that causes the bleed and the differing colour depends on where the bleed is coming from..i.e. bowel or anus.

I do hope she starts to feel better soon. xxx
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2009, 09:24 AM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
Aww, bless her, I've got my fingers crossed firmly here.

Was there any jelly like substance in what she passed? If so it could be colitis...one of my setters used to suffer badly with that and the tell tale sign was the jelly stuff...the blood would vary from bright red to dark red, depending on the severity, apparently it is the straining to pass the motions that causes the bleed and the differing colour depends on where the bleed is coming from..i.e. bowel or anus.

I do hope she starts to feel better soon. xxx
yes there was jelly in it the blood was bright red
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2009, 09:26 AM
Hope all goes well at the vets Mel.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2009, 09:28 AM
Sorry that Zeita is unwell.

I agree totally with what Sheree has said. Max has passed blood before and I was terrified that there was something really serious. He was at the vets later on that day and the vet said it was nothing sinister. It was just inflammation that had caused the bleeding. It's def worth your vet visit, just to rule out anything else, but fingers crossed it will be a bout of collitis.

Let us know how you get on.x
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2009, 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by melsgems View Post
yes there was jelly in it the blood was bright red

That is probably colitis then, the bright red blood comes from the anus rather than the bowel so she has probably strained when passing it and broken some blood vessels. Its better to have the brighter red blood as, hopefully, the colitis is not so severe to have effected the bowel. This is the information I had from my vet and I always treated my boy with kaolin and morphine at that stage and only took him for an antibiotic and painkiller injection if it got past that stage or didn't clear up by the next day or so. He lived with this condition from the age of 2 up to when he died at 10, and only had to have extensive treatment a couple of times. Other dogs I have owned have had it once or twice but never been plaqued with it as he was.

I'm sure it is probably just a bit of over indulgance, I'll be thinking of her and wish her well xxx
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2009, 09:42 AM
Fingers crossed here.

Hopefully it is nothin more than a slightly aggrevated tummy/colon.
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-01-2009, 09:45 AM
I agree with the above posts saying that it is probably a bout of colitis and inflammation of the lower digestive tract or burst blood vessels as a result of straining.

Cox (2 year old GSD fed raw) had this a few weeks ago, but was otherwise bright and fine in himself with no sickness. I telephoned the vet and he said it was most likely mild colitis which is common in gsds and a few days of bland food (raw chicken or chicken and rice) should hopefully sort it out. It did. All the best with your doglet, hope she is feeling better soon.
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2009, 11:19 AM
thanks everybody, she is back now and the vet said its a mild gastro enteritis and collitis. She has some anti inflammitories and something else for 5 days.....he said it was prob just a mild case and she should be fine by tomorrow

So thanks everyone I can relax again now
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2009, 11:32 AM
Originally Posted by melsgems View Post
thanks everybody, she is back now and the vet said its a mild gastro enteritis and collitis. She has some anti inflammitories and something else for 5 days.....he said it was prob just a mild case and she should be fine by tomorrow

So thanks everyone I can relax again now
Thats good news, hopefully her meds will kick in and she'll feel more comfortable in no time
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >