Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jelly
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-10-2009, 05:32 PM

jelly's claw

jelly injured her claw about 6 months ago. it was bleeding and swollen and turns out broken. she had it removed under GA which cost £300+. it grew back eventually but never looked 'the same' which, i am told, was normal. to be honest though it just looked dead. she's sometimes (rarely) and bit lame on that foot, for around 5 mins and then is fine.

but today she has decided that she will start limping and holding it up more frequently. she's in some discomfort as she won't let me actually look at the foot- or touch it rather, but mostly walks ok. she was fine on her walk this morning and i have not taken her out the pm to prevent making it worse. i soaked the foot in cold water to ease any swelling (although i cannot actually see any).

what should i do? i know i'm jumping the guns but i'm worried she'll have to have another op and the problem will keep returning- also she won't be covered by insurance for this problem. i will obviously pay but not unless it is absolutely needed as i'm not the richest lass but doo have savings.
Aligord
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-10-2009, 05:07 AM
I would keep an eye on it and see if it is swelling or if the claw is looking injured (or anywhere else on the foot).

If she seems to continue to limp on that side then I would err on the side of caution and get the vet to look at it and see what their advice is.

I hope Jelly's claw does not need removing again and it is just a minor issue and she is feeling better soon.
Jelly
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-10-2009, 08:39 AM
thank you. it's intermittent limping. she's ok this morning but will see. not swelling yet but she's not happy about me touching it. hard to tell if she's holding it up in pain as she's a terrier and does that terrier pose
Angel44
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-10-2009, 09:09 AM
There shouldn't be any reason for it to be an ongoing problem with her original injury. It is however possible that she has re-injured her claw/toe. Your insurance company should still pay out as they usually only start excluding 12 months after original injury. Also, there is no reason to expect that she will need another op. Chances are she's just caught it and it's feeling a little bit sensitive. Keep an eye on it and if it continues have it checked out at the vet, but try not to worry too much.
Jelly
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-10-2009, 09:28 AM
thank you angel- that's what i needed to hear. i tend to assume the worst. she's not 'done' anything to it- fine after her walk she started limping after sleeping so she probably was lying on it. i'll give it till tues if no better will pop he to the vet. can't take her tomorrow as i'm working. it doesn't look infected and it's not open.
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2009, 12:24 PM
I agree it dosnt mean this has anything to do with the previous problem, its possible, that there is a small slither of glass in the pad, or a grass seed caught between the toes?

Mo
Jelly
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-10-2009, 07:17 PM
thanks mo. i'e checked the paw. there is nothing inbetween or in the pad it's tender when i touch the claw but she's not been limping today or holding it up much. we'll see how she is by tuesday.