Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 08:29 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
but what ??
we actually need to eradicate half the human population but thats another argument entirely???

tbhe only way to go as far as i am concerned is tough tough laws and punishments for animal cruelty, animal incidents and a crackdown on BYB breeders
Well then you would have to outlaw puppyfarming, because it's not against the law ! Until you do that, there;s not much hope of any of the other laws being effective. Unfortunately until the KC also speak up about it and put something forward, that wont happen, but as we know, the KC arent lkely to do that because their income would hugely suffer !
Azz
Administrator
Male 

28-12-2007, 08:39 PM
Even if you ban one breed and manage to get the numbers down - there will always be those that go against the law and continue to breed or buy the dogs.

What happens when another breed then takes over the title? Another 20 years to get it banned and killed off?

Then another takes over and you're back to square one.

The problem isn't the dogs, it's the breeders and the owners who don't breed with adequate thought or bring their dogs up correctly.

While I am against the state dictating what people should and shouldn't be able to do, when it comes to a living entity like animals/pets I think the state/WE ALL have a duty to protect them - that means more stringent laws on animal ownership and breeding.

Same way we have laws for owning/driving and manufacture of cars - that are there to protect all of us, we need similar laws when it comes to animals, but of course ones that protect the animals too.

Logic tells me anything but, just won't work.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 09:03 PM
I think worldwide where these dogs are becoming a real issue are the places where stricter control or phasing them out should be looked at. there are many Countries and states that have already banned them including our own Country, and regardless of how many still remain, there is a fraction of what there would of been if they were allowed to remain without the ban.

The only way I can see of stopping these attacks by dogs that most people say have never showed aggressive signs before, is to ban them, stop them breeding more and phase them out. I actually think its pathetic that us as humans have had to ban anything we have created, but there lies the fact, we have created something for a purpose, the purpose has been banned in most countries for decades, and the dog remains, the purpose it was designed for makes it incredibly dangerous when the trigger goes, and they do have short fuses. I just dont think, given why they were bred and the fact more and more seem to be attacking people, there is a place by the fireside for a breed who's working roots are striking at people.
Callum
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-12-2007, 10:21 PM
What does its purpose for being bred have to do with "human aggression"?

they were bred for the same things as the currently legal bull & terrier breeds in the UK? and infact created from the very same dogs!
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 10:24 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
I think worldwide where these dogs are becoming a real issue are the places where stricter control or phasing them out should be looked at. there are many Countries and states that have already banned them including our own Country, and regardless of how many still remain, there is a fraction of what there would of been if they were allowed to remain without the ban.

The only way I can see of stopping these attacks by dogs that most people say have never showed aggressive signs before, is to ban them, stop them breeding more and phase them out. I actually think its pathetic that us as humans have had to ban anything we have created, but there lies the fact, we have created something for a purpose, the purpose has been banned in most countries for decades, and the dog remains, the purpose it was designed for makes it incredibly dangerous when the trigger goes, and they do have short fuses. I just dont think, given why they were bred and the fact more and more seem to be attacking people, there is a place by the fireside for a breed who's working roots are striking at people.

and thats where you and I will never agree Dawn, so i am bowing out of this debate as feel i have said enough. I think you are wrong, and i do find it hard to understand how a dog lover can want to ban a whole breed whose inherent roots are not to attack people and are infact a very loving dog in the right hands - just like any dog.

i hope that your breed is never in such a situation.
bajaluna
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 10:25 PM
SignOnSanDiego.com > News > State -- Glendale toddler mauled to death ...
A Rottweiler ripped a 16-month-old girl out of her mother's arms, dragged her for several feet and mauled her to death in an apparent unprovoked attack, police said.

WARREN -- Prosecutors charged a pair of stepbrothers today in connection with the Sept. 12 mauling death of a 4-month-old baby by a 120-pound Rottweiler.

Christopher Fura, 19, and his stepbrother, Jason Winters, 22, both of Warren, were charged today in 37th District court with two counts each of involuntary manslaughter, and second-degree child abuse. If convicted, they could spend up to 19 years in prison.

Macomb County Prosecutor Eric Smith said Fura and Winters were criminally negligent when they brought their dog, Chopper, to a gathering in a home in the 37000 block of Toepfer. As the two were in another room playing video games, the dog suddenly pounced on four-month-old Kylie Cox and began shaking her, Smith said.

Both of these attacks happened within last month what do you think dawn should we kill all the rotties aswell?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 10:41 PM
Why would we want to do that? I dont consider them in the same league as a PB, do you?

and thats where you and I will never agree Dawn, so i am bowing out of this debate as feel i have said enough. I think you are wrong, and i do find it hard to understand how a dog lover can want to ban a whole breed whose inherent roots are not to attack people and are infact a very loving dog in the right hands - just like any dog.
THAT is exactly my point, they were NEVER bred to be human aggressive, but now on a worryingly and increasingly rise, are!

i hope that your breed is never in such a situation.
Hand on heart? If ever they were I wouldnt hesitate to comply with the law, Im afraid I value human life over that of any dog, as much as love them.
bobbles
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-12-2007, 10:44 PM
In our area there's an increase in Rottie owners I asked this young lad I met on a walk with his Rottie why he had a Rottie he commented on my Staff saying Staff's were way to people friendly, he said he wanted a dog to attack on command thats why he got a Rottie . It's never the breed its the twisted human race that turns these poor animals into the aggressive poorly treated dogs of today, and sadly the more attention potentially aggressive breeds get the more sick individualls want them
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 10:47 PM
Originally Posted by bobbles View Post
In our area there's an increase in Rottie owners I asked this young lad I met on a walk with his Rottie why he had a Rottie he commented on my Staff saying Staff's were way to people friendly, he said he wanted a dog to attack on command thats why he got a Rottie . It's never the breed its the twisted human race that turns these poor animals into the aggressive poorly treated dogs of today, and sadly the more attention potentially aggressive breeds get the more sick individualls want them
I agree its deed not breed xdk
Callum
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-12-2007, 10:47 PM
Originally Posted by bobbles View Post
Quite agree, It was mentioned on here recently that certain other breeds are going the way of the SBT in relation to chavs and druggies. the Rottie's being one such breed

Borderdawn..
What does its purpose for being bred have to do with "human aggression"?

they were bred for the same things as the currently legal bull & terrier breeds in the UK? and infact created from the very same dogs!
Closed Thread
Page 16 of 37 « First < 6 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 26 > Last »