Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jojo123
New Member!
Female 

25-05-2011, 10:35 AM

Infected post op wound

around a month ago my dog had mct removed and the wound has been healing fine with no problem until the last time we saw a vet and she removed final staple and stiches and then rubbed the wound with some pink antiseptic. Next day my dogs wound started swelling and has huge blisters, now they started to open and leak blood-like liquid. I have seen a vet again and have been given antibiotics and antiinfamatory pills but has been of no good. I am so upset as they seem not to do much. Is there a chance that the antiseptic was too strong and affected the wound and basicaly burned it. It was perfect before and although big and oozing liquid ther was no infection.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2011, 10:41 AM
Pink antiseptic is probably Hibiscrub. I've used it on animals as teeny as pet rats, and it's used in hospitals too (and the vets will wash their hands with it) so I'm not sure it would be the culprit. It could be that the removal of the stitches/staples perhaps allows some bacteria in Alternatively the infection could have been brewing under the surface and has just risen - I had a pet chinchilla who had his leg amputated and it wasn't until he needed his stitches removed that an abcess showed up, when it took a few more days to rise up enough to lance and when it was opened it had an undissolved stitch inside it so it must have come from the internal stitching. Infections take a little time to work their way to the surface, if you've ever got the start of a pimple, that sore patch on your face that's taken a few days to show up, that's an example of your body pushing the infection upwards.
Jojo123
New Member!
Female 

25-05-2011, 10:47 AM
many thanks. but how come it was so nice and it was a huge wound and all of a sudden some of it, the part that healed the earliest got so infected?
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2011, 11:03 AM
It sounds to me like a stitch abcess, where the body rejects the internal stitches, they make their way to the surface together with pus and muck

Years ago I had a tumour removed from behind my knee, it healed really nicely then suddenly, during physio the wound opened up with wormlike things coming out of it, it transpired it was the internal stitches making their way out and the pus was leaking out of the holes. I had to go on a/bs' for a few weeks, and keep bathing the wound, it was horrible, but it did clear up.