Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TamT
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-02-2005, 06:17 AM

Dog Crate - what is it, how is it used?

Hi.
i was wondering what a dog crate is? And what is it used for? We dont have such a thing here?
Tam
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-02-2005, 06:38 AM
A crate can be an invaluable piece of equipment.

For illustration see: http://www.ukparrotcages.co.uk/dog_cages.html

For information on use see:
http://www.canismajor.com/dog/crate2.html
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2005, 07:23 AM
Crate is also sometimes called a cage. Most people use it for puppies to make sure the pup can't chew through electric cables or otherwise hurt it's self over night or whilst the owner is out of the house. Most dogs adopt the crate as their bed and refuse to give it up when they are old enough to be trusted not to kill themselfs or the new sofa.

Show people also use them at show for the same reason, to keep the dog safe if they have to leave it which, of course, they have to if only to use the toilet or show another dog.
TamT
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-02-2005, 07:38 AM
I think it makes total sense when showing a dog or when travelling, we call it a box, and they are made from thick plastic (easy to clean), with a top half and a bottom half. But I cannot understand why you would need to lock your dog in it at night or while at work. It seems cruel that a dog cannot walk around for 8 HOURS!? Why get a dog in the first place? I am not saying EVERYONE is cruel to use a Crate, but would promoting the use of crates not cause more people to use them as a way of getting the dog out of the way when owner does not feel like having them around (laziness to train)? I agree also that it is nice for a dog to have "his own room", we call this a kennel, somewhere that is their place, but they should be able to leave it any time they please.
rocky
Dogsey Senior
Male 

07-02-2005, 08:36 AM
behavourists recommend crating pups at night.
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-02-2005, 08:37 AM
Hi Tam T, while I'm pro crate /cage used correctly, I think most people would agree that other than over night, 8 hours is way too long for a dog to be confined in a crate. So that would not be correct use to my mind.

I use crates for my American Cockers, and they love them. You should see my Irish Setter curled up inside a crate that is too small for him, I don't put him there, he just likes it and goes in of his own accord.

Dawn R.
rocky
Dogsey Senior
Male 

07-02-2005, 08:43 AM
Why do they always insist on doing that?
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2005, 09:50 AM
Unless your home is totally puppy proof then it is safer for the pup to be locked in, it is not cruel, if the pup needs to go outside it shouts and you let it out, then it will run back to it's cage and be half asleep before you can shut the door. When they are older the door is not shut but they still spend all night in the cage and I sometimes think they would prefer it shut as it stops the others cage crashing.
TamT
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-02-2005, 10:22 AM
haha .. cage crashing. That part makes sense. If you have other dogs, they do need "time out". I agree on most of it, especially the attitude of ppl on this site, and obviously there has not been a problem with it in UK or I am sure something would have been done or said about it. But I hope the idea does not come near this country as there are far too many idiots here that will abuse it. So thanks for the info, I now understand it all much better and feel far happier about it.
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2005, 10:29 AM
dont be fooled Tam T
there are people here who abuse them too
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 > Last »