Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ang3l
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-02-2011, 05:41 PM

Friend needs help with new JR

Hi this isn't my dog but a friend yesterday privately rehomed a Jack russell.

He's about 4 years old and male. Since they have got him home they have found he has major trust issues and he will snap and bite at anyone. Altho when I walked into the house I was greeted by a happy jumpy JR its now a case of he's growling at me til I growl back. He appears to flinch at alot Ie: I lifted my foot and he flinched like I was about to kick him ( I assure you I wasn't going to anything of the sort) He doesn't like men thats apparent by his refusal to go near them and growling at any man that tries to get his attention.

My experience with dogs is Labradors and similar I've never owned a JR so have no idea about them I've advised they get a muzzle for him but am now asking here for JR exsperienced people to help. I will advise them of this site and tell them to sign up but they are both not very good with anything PC lol but I will try

Thanks in advance for any replies
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 06:21 PM
My experience of private rehomes is often similar to this. Quite often people deliberately rehome dogs privately rather than rescue homes because they then don't have to tell the truth and they do not have to make a donation to the shelter.

I would seriously consider speaking to them about giving him back (probably not a chance) or putting himi in a shelter, or getting a behaviourist in to assess the issues before moving forward.

Dogs should be a pleasure, not an albatross round your neck; sadly i have met many people held to ransom for years by unsuitable dogs.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 07:04 PM
I would recommend advising them to bring in a trainer or behaviourist - and sooner rather than later.

On a positive note, they may well be able to turn this around. When we adopted Dexter he was snapping and going to bite the whole time, we could barely touch him. He growled quite a bit at us too. We were downright scared of him!

Different story now, thank goodness. I mention this just to note that without this dog being assessed by someone experienced, your friends can't be sure how deep seated the problems are and whether they can be turned around.
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
I would recommend advising them to bring in a trainer or behaviourist - and sooner rather than later.

On a positive note, they may well be able to turn this around. When we adopted Dexter he was snapping and going to bite the whole time, we could barely touch him. He growled quite a bit at us too. We were downright scared of him!

Different story now, thank goodness. I mention this just to note that without this dog being assessed by someone experienced, your friends can't be sure how deep seated the problems are and whether they can be turned around.
Totally agree with above. This dog is obviously fear aggressive and needs attention by a behavourist urgently before he does bite and does some damage.
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 07:24 PM
I think that much of the time folk think and take on JRT's and other small dogs because they think they'll be 'low maintenence' and find is not the case many times. One that has had an unfortunate or misunderstood behaviour passes on through whatever circumstance or however well meaning to someone else. They are big(canine)characters in small bodies from what have found, very intelligent and headstrong?. Folk should not be fooled by thinking small dogs are lap dogs. Have seen more small terrier types in rescue here recently. I hope everything works out.
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 08:05 PM
Day's not very long - will prob take some time to build trust

Mine has/had some trust issues when I first got him.

Fortunately, unlike yours, he likes men - he just doesn't always trust them - he is also wired to flight not fight so unless someone did something moronic - no one was going to get nipped - so less of a problem!

I know nothing & not something I think advise can be offered on (and certainly not by me!) without a visit - so a plus one to the "ask a professional"

will add that visitors initially did better to ignore him rather than try to coax him over. He wanted to say hello (ascertain they liked the dog) but on his own terms.

Edit: Will add - "don't touch him if he's not expecting it" was also a good rule to start with.
Ang3l
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-02-2011, 08:17 PM
Thanks for the replies people I have passed each one over and I hope they are going to hed this advice. I advised them last night to not get the dog as they know nothing about him. He was advertised on Gumtree

He spent 10 minutes growling at my trainer!!?!?! So I think there are some major issues and apparently the couple they got him off stated 'he's had a very bad start' So that to me suggests abuse ?!?! and his reaction to my trainers was a bit off and I've only seen that before in a dog who I know was beaten by a man who wore trainers, when he was re homed he was fine with everyone unless they wore trainers! I may be wrong but fingers crossed they'll stick with him and he will begin to trust them and then end up a really nice dog.