View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
val_pal
New Member!
Female 

31-08-2010, 06:41 PM
dogs can get many diseases by eating snails or slugs. they carry lungworm diseases and can be cured. But you must also think that snails and slugs are around in the dirt and rats are all over. They play a huge factor because when they leave there feces it may contain Angiostrongylus cantonensis (Ann-gee-o-stronge-uh-luss can-tun-en-sis) which is a parasitic worm of rats. It is also called the rat lungworm. The mature (adult) form of the parasite is found only in rodents (it is not found in people). Infected rats pass immature forms (larvae) of the parasite in their feces. Snails and slugs get infected by ingesting the larvae in rat feces. These larvae mature in snails and slugs but do not become adult worms. The life cycle comes full circle when rats eat infected snails or slugs and the larvae further mature to become adult worms.
loobey
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-09-2010, 07:23 PM
i never realised how dangerous snails and slugs were to dogs. i will be watching my dog more carefully
Tina H
New Member!
Female 

02-09-2010, 09:44 AM
My friend has a rescue Northern Inuit/possibly cross.

His dog caught Lungworm from snails. It took a lot of treatment to sort it, and even 7 months on the dog is still on steriods. He get coughing attacks and is sick. This problem is hardly known about.
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4