View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
abbie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2012, 09:23 PM
My dogs have had one agility related injury.

He somehow managed to hurt his paw on the crate whilst left in the van for 15 minutes during a tea break!!
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2012, 09:38 PM
I have done agility with my Kerry Blues since I have had them and Parker at 10 has no joint problems or stiffness. People are amazed when they see him running about doing zoomies on the park with Izzy as they don't believe he is 10!

Cherry was also fine at 10 and a half with no joint problems or stiffness.

Izzy has done agility throughout her life (we've only had her 6 months-she is 9) and she too has no stiffness or joint problems. i do carry her from the crate out of the car when we arrive anywhere though as I worry about her hurting herself jumping out onto concrete though she is quite happy to jump.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2012, 10:23 PM
Some brilliant replies, thanks to all who have taken part in the thread.

I'm much happier enrolling Oscar (and possibly Isla depending upon her level of idleness) in agility now with all the positive reviews. Although my dogs do invariably jump around on walks, it was the intensity of jumping regularly during a relatively short time span that worried me, but given that both my dogs are well and truly in to adulthood (physically only in Oscar's case ) I think the risks are minimal.

I'm going to start taking Oscar to a regular training class in March when I start my new job and if all goes well we'll be looking at trying agility. Wish me luck!
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2012, 11:02 PM
good luck rips... its addictive
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2012, 11:06 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
good luck rips... its addictive
I really hope so, Flyball was a disaster!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2012, 11:32 PM
Good luck, I am sure you will all love it, it is so much fun. I have never really been into flyball and errm well Ben just let the ball bounce off his head so he was never going to set the world alight there but he does love his agiility
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2012, 11:36 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Good luck, I am sure you will all love it, it is so much fun. I have never really been into flyball and errm well Ben just let the ball bounce off his head so he was never going to set the world alight there but he does love his agiility
Yes I think agility will suit us better, watch this space anyway! My dogs are mad on tennis balls/dummies so something to work with at least!
Kyllobernese
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-01-2012, 05:40 PM
Susie, my Bernese cross was the first dog I ever tried in Agility. Unfortunately the trainer wanted a 2 on 2 off and she came down the A-frame and hurt her shoulder. She seemed to get over it but she was tall and had to jump 24"
I put her in Specials so she only jumped 22" but it was still too much for her as she was a heavy built dog so I did not continue on with her. She still limps a little on her shoulder if she overdoes it running around.

My Shih Tzu x Maltese, I knew a bit more when I started with them and they have been fine. Remmy is five this year and Kiska is six and they are both doing well and no problems so far but they are small and light. I have always had Kiska in Specials as she is very small and moved Remmy into Specials last year to lower how high they have to jump.
cambkite
Dogsey Junior
Male 

01-03-2012, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
I am sure it can, but I would say mine would be more at risk with their crazy zoomies in the woods rather than a 30s agility run
Only just seen this thread and all the way through I was thinking this. I've been doing agility (not intensively) with one of my Brits for about three years now and am much more worried about their free running time in the woods, which they used to do every day, but they now enjoy less frequently due to financial constraints. There is pratically no control over the hazards they encounter there and at least, most of the agility competitions and training are held on grass or in equestrian centres and there are people watching you dog who will be ready to point out risky manoeuvers.
Tegen is manic about her agility and I'm sure it is a good way of working her brain in order to rid that area of its excess energy. It might be the case that not doing agility would avoid some risk to her health, but I feel she gains so much from it and I remain convinced that it has improved our relationship tenfold. Dad is much more fun now (especially when he falls over) http://www.dogsey.com/images/smilies/icon_redface.gif.
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2012, 09:53 AM
Something to add which might help as well?

Connor started agility at about 18m (he will be 5 next week) we go weekly training - and in fairness we don't compete actively but he has done - for one reason and another I hadn't got his hips scored but got round to it this year and he scored really well - no wear and tear on the joints at all.

So my thoughts are that if the joints are bad they are bad regardless of whether you do agility etc. he's a very active dog and like others have said the running and jumping and playing at home is more of a concern than agility to me!

Good luck and hope you and Oscar enjoy it !
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >