Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2009, 09:43 PM
Originally Posted by wildmoor View Post
I have used Drontal, never had a problem with it in all the years I have used it.
I used mibblemax once at twice the dosage for supected mites under veterinary guidance and was warned to watch him as a lot of herding breeds have a bad reaction to mibblemx it as been known to induce seizures and is supposed to be worse with collies and collie crosses

didnt know that my vets tried to convince me to have that rather than drontal but i insisted i wanted the usual!
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2009, 08:04 AM
I use Dontrol + but have had a dog allergic to that so also use Panicur. Never used mibblemax as I had been warned about side effects, not as serious as allergic shock but bad enough particularly in herding dogs.
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2009, 10:35 AM
Just got back from the vets with Mack, he has been thoroughly checked over, and everything is okay. He is alot better today, still not as bouncy as normal, but much better in himself, he also did a semi solid poo today, so that is good.

If I get at all worried then I am to take him straight back, but fingers crossed, he is over the worse.

I have suggested to my vet that I may not worm him again, unless I think he has them, as I would not want to risk him reacting again. After hearing some of these stories, of seizures etc, and seeing as I don't know 100% his actual background and parentage, I am wary of giving him anything else. My vet said that is my choice, and she understands.

Anyway, I have loads of time to do research into what product to use, until he needs doing again.

Thanks for all your help and advice xxxxx
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2009, 12:20 PM
If your dog is not an investigator of other dogs poo and is not an eater of everything he finds then you may not need ever to worm him again.

A pup born to a well wormed bitch and then wormed properly during it's first year may well then be clear of worms and the cysts (worm eggs) and never need to be wormed again. Most of us feel it worth doing them every 6 months and always if there is a bitch to be whelped as it is possible for a worm infection to be passed between a group of dogs simply from licking another's coat.
janie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2009, 12:52 PM
My male NI has a bad reaction to drontal plus.. he vomits and has the runs for 2 or 3 days afterwards. Gave the three of the panacur this time round... with no ill effects at all.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
Female 

02-02-2009, 06:31 PM
Aw MS sorry I missed this and I hope Mack will be 100% by tomorrow, if not by now.

Big hugs and cuddles to him from me and Loki sends him plenty doggy kisses to get better.

Hope you are hail and hearty.

xx
dantracy
New Member!
Female 

11-01-2010, 11:14 PM
I would just like to say that on the vets advice i used Drontal for my puppy cocker spaniel as it is supposed to kill worms including heart and lung worm and she didn't have any reaction but it does not work. my darling puppy lost her fight for life after becoming infected with heart/lung worm after spending 6 days in their hospital (£714) and them telling me everyday that she was ok but i asked for her records as we as owners own them and she suffered everyday and although she couldn't maintain her oxygen levels they still took her out for a walk
I use Panacur on my other 2 young puppies and it works a treat with no side effects. My friends puppy survived because she demanded Panacur and it turned out that it saved her dogs life. Lung worm is on the increase all over the uk. My vets had never had a confirmed case and admitted they didn't know how to treat her. I lost my darling because they wouldn't ask other vets up the country for advice.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3