Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 11:05 AM

My poor hands.

Well I walk my dogs on six foot nylon leads most of the time now, and normally its fine, and if they pull I'm normally expecting it, so have both hands firmly on the lead, so when they try to take off at full speed after any small furries in the park I've got control, anyway...

The other day I had the dogs off lead, but Diesel was being naughty, and we were near the entrance, so I put Honey back on the lead, and was just putting Diesel back on, when I never noticed that a German Shorthaired pointer was running around to the right of me, both dogs were very hyped up, and for some reason, which tbh I don't really remember them doing this for a dog small furry yes, they both decided to try and run towards it, with wagging tails mind, but I was holding Diesel's lead near his collar, loosely, so I have six foot of nylon lead go shooting through my hand at god knows what speed, as it was a good acceraltion from standing, I also had Honey's lead just held loosely in the other hand, but was holding it about midway, so had about three foot of lead go shooting through that way, and I also got a friction burn from each lead on each hand, which was very helpful well sometimes you've got to love having dogs don't you.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 11:21 AM
Invest in gloves! Horse riding gloves will leave you with plenty of movement but protect your hands from stuff like this
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 11:27 AM
Ouchies!

I love my horse riding gloves!! Except they stopped making them!
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 11:35 AM
Fortnatally this is the first time it happened, just one of them days, I would wear gloves (I probally should) but normally I know when they see a squrriel, this day they were just a bit wound up lol, although I may look into some gloves, as its freezing right now!!
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 12:57 PM
Owwwwwww
HiHoSilver
Dogsey Senior
Male 

01-03-2011, 01:35 PM
If you put the loops of the leads over your wrist and then wrap the leads around your wrist (two or three loops)your hands can let go without risking letting the dogs loose and avoiding friction burns.I hate wearing gloves and they reduce your grip on the leads too.
Next time you see greys in training being walked look at how the walker holds the leads.It's a standard for walking hounds.
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 01:40 PM
Ouch Gloves sound like a good idea
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 01:54 PM
The other thing I do with long lines leads is put a couple of knots in the lead just incase of slipping
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 01:59 PM
you put the loops of the leads over your wrist and then wrap the leads around your wrist (two or three loops

Very, very dangerous!

If you do not want to wear gloves esp in summer, invest in sticky leads the kind used for reins (not the awful heavy ones) the ones used for dressage!

Light, and absolutely slip proof!
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 03:09 PM
I don't wear gloves when I walk Max (unless it is cold) but I do wear gloves when I go over to Dogs Trust to walk their dogs as a strong puller and nylon leads really don't mix!

Hope your hand is all right now.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >