register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hayley
Dogsey Senior

26-02-2007, 08:26 AM

Glazby's strange behaviour - does he know something we don't?

Okay - a bit of a strange one here, I'll give a little bit of a background first and I'm not sure if all issues are somehow related or not.

Last week, Abby had an upset tummy - she had passed a little bit of blood and so we phoned the vets up to book an appointment for her. We said that we had started to starve her that morning and the vets made a provisional appt but said to see how she was after 24 hours first.

She was much better, back to her normal self so we cancelled the appointment. However, yesterday we noticed whilst out on a walk that she seemed to be straining a lot when squatting for a wee. She would strain and nothing was coming out (she had already had 3 big wees). So I wonder if she might have a bit of cystitis or something? Is there anything you can give dogs for this - I know cranberry juice is meant to help humans?

Now - to Glazby - for the last week or so (since Abby has been a bit off colour as above), he's been spending a lot of time sniffing her rear end. He's always had a bit of a sniff but its got to the point now that he's almost got his nose surgically attached to her bottom!!

He's been sniffing there while she tries to have a wee in the garden and he's even cocked his leg on her while she's been in mid wee.

Now - we bought Glazby a new bed from Ebay which arrived last week and he's really loved. We've also noticed (and Mat caught him red handed) that he's cocked his leg on this too a few times and yesterday we noticed that he'd wee'd in the hallway too. With the bed we wandered as it was from Ebay if there might have been the smell of another dog on it but we had washed it and so would think that would have got rid of the smells. Could it be a territorial thing with his bed?

Glazby is an entire male and we've had him for 4 years (he was 5 on Friday last week). He's never cocked his leg in the house before and never really had much interest in the ladies in a sexual way.

Abby was speyed before we got her at the end of July last year and so I can't think that she's giving off any hormones (coming into season), that would cause this behaviour in Glazby.

Is this possible though? Or is it possible that Glazby can somehow smell a bit of an infection on her and this might be a sign that we should take her back to the vets?

I'm at a loss at them moment and so any advice/suggestions would be much appreciated.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-02-2007, 09:31 AM
Hi Hayley when you say Abby has been passing blood was that in the feces or urine? I am guessing as she had an upset tummy you mean feces.

Although Abby is spayed she can still get mild infections like vaginitis which can smell a bit 'fishy' and interesting to a dog.

My main concern when you mention the straining on urination is a urinary tract infection, and if you think she may have this please see a vet because it can have a number of causes (infection and crystals) and should not be left untreated or in can cause further problems. You should not try to treat it yourself . This can also give off an 'interesting scent' to a dog.

Try to get a sample of urine to take with you to the vet if you can, not easy I know Also it is important to make sure Abby has access to lots of fresh water.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2007, 09:38 AM
Also if the spay wasn't complete and they left a bit of ovary in she can still give off hormonal scent. I think Abbey needs to be seen asap. Hope it goes well.
Becky
Hayley
Dogsey Senior

26-02-2007, 09:50 AM
Thanks Mini and Mahooli.

I do think that it is a bit of an infection of some sort and you're right - I will get her booked back in at the vets to be checked out.

Last week was an upset tummy and the blood was in a little bit of the runs that came out.

We have been a little bit concerned about that whole area with Abby and go I'll sound the vet out about everything. We've wondered if she might be a little bit incontinent as occasionally she'll be laying down and when she gets up will notice a little puddle. I guess if she's had lots of puppies (the rescue think she's from a puppy farm) then her muscles might not be so strong and she might be prone to this kind of infection and accidents (and can't really ask her to do some pelvic floor excersises)!!

I'll just hope that once she's sorted out Glazby will then stop his strange behaviour. He's never been a a leg cocker but over the past week he's wee'd in the house and as I mentioned, actually on Abby too.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2007, 10:42 AM
Urinating can also be a dominance issue, Ozzy piddled on his bed once or twice after being clean for years! Or it could be as simple as you say, if he can smell another dog on the bed he may want to mark it as his!

Perhaps Glazeby can smell Abby has the infection and that is why he keeps sniffing at her, hope she feels better soon.
Hayley
Dogsey Senior

26-02-2007, 11:03 AM
Thanks Anne-Marie.

I've got Abby booked to see the Vets at 4.30 pm and will do my best to get a wee sample from her to take with me. Will it matter if I haven't got one too much?

We'll then hope that once Abby is sorted out then Glazby's behaviour will sort itself out again!!

Shows how much time we spend at the vets - I phoned up and said I would like to book an appointment please, gave my surname and the nurse said - Awww whats that boy of yours been up to now (meaning Glazby)!! He totally flirts with all the lady nurses when he's in there!!
Hayley
Dogsey Senior

27-02-2007, 07:47 AM
Hi everyone,

Thanks again for the advice yesterday - I took Abby to the vets yesterday evening. She hadn't been for a wee and the vet could feel she had a full bladder and so he injected some urine direct from her bladder and tested it then and there for us.

He said that it had quite a bit of blood and (I think) he said nitrates. He also said that it smelt strong and this is probably why Glazby has been so interested in her bottom bless her.

She's been given a 10 day course of antibiotics (4 a day) and we have to see if it clears up. He did say that if it reoccurs then we'll need to take her back and consider x-rays to see if there are crystals forming.

I forgot to ask him but is there anyway on a day to day basis that we can help to minimise crystal build up without changing to a special food?

Anyway, we're just hoping for now that its a one off infection and will now get better.

Eeeeek - £100 lighter I left the surgery!!