View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2011, 05:24 PM
Well good luck then, she sounds like she's got a very good quality of life, so you have to give her a chance don't you! I really hope it all goes well and please let us know how she gets on after, let's hope it's the end of all those vet trips for her after this! I've had gsd's that have gone on to 15 and 16 in the past, and hopefully, this old boy of mine will too, even with his cushings! good luck with her.xxx
NicolaG
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-01-2011, 05:29 PM
Thanks Helena, we are definitely going to be giving her every chance before any desicion is made. She's our baby, she was our baby way before we had our little girl and we both love her to pieces.

I'll keep you updated and give your old boy a big cuddle from me xx
EgyptGal
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-01-2011, 05:49 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Is that right? He says she has e-coli?? She'd be in a real bad state with diarrhea and chronic stomach pains if she had that, but the ab's will of course clear it all up for her, bless her heart. Be very careful what you give her after an episode of that, she's an old lady and needs easy to digest food, so I'd consider changing if you possibly could, to something that's easy on the gut. I would imagine you meant "protein" in her urine there, which is not a good thing, that's what tells them there's an infection of some kind going on, but again, the ab's will be helping all of that.

Glad it's not the cushings, although as I said, it's no big deal, it's treatable. I would imagine they've got to knock her out to get a bladder biopsy too, and that in itself can be dangerous, oh this poor old dear of yours, what she's been through at the vets. Only you will know when enough is enough, and it's all down to keeping them painfree, with a relatively good quality of life in my book, and luckily we still have that with our old boy with the cushings, and if we didn't then I'm afraid I would have no choice. My last old girl had cancer and she was only 11 1/2, but that was different because when it's something that CAN be cured/dealt with, I would have given her the option, but because I knew in my heart we could never win, I was loathe to extend her days, fearing she would eventually be in pain, and I looked at it this way, if I'm gonna lose her why prolong the agony for both of us with the risk of seeing her suffering, so as always, better a day too soon than a day too late.

All the best with her, have a Google around and see what is involved with that bladder biopsy maybe, or consider just giving her a bit more time to see if the ab's clear up the infection and she gets back to normal perhaps. Sometimes, some of these vets are only too keen to steam on in there on certain occasions and sometimes you have to put your foot down or follow your own gut instincts. If the bladder is infected it wouuld be inflamed wouldn't it, and probably some blood in there, but of course, blood in the urine can also point to more nasties. You've just got to weigh up all those pro's and con's for HER benefit really, she's given you her all hasn't she, so now you have to return the favour to her. I wish you all the luck in the world, it's so heartbreaking for us with our oldies sometimes.xxxx

Hi Egyptgal. For the life of me I cannot remember all this excessive wee'ing quite honestly and he certainly has never been incontinent. Quite the opposite in fact, he can go all day if he can't be bothered to walk out into the garden for a wee and then he wee's for England. He's got all the other classic symptoms though, the pot belly, the excessive panting and he tends to drink like a camel, you rarely see him at the water bowl, but when he does, he fills himself up, but that again could be his laziness (he's old and he's male!)

I see your dilema, why don't you ask about his particular problems I'm sure they won't mind being honest with you, as I'm sure, they too, wouuldn't want him to be returned. He needs somebody like you! Honestly, it's no big deal for us with my old boy, EXCEPT, because he suffers with a bad skin condition, he gets demodectic mange on his belly which we cannot cope with ourselves, so we have to get some help with the ab's from the vet, but that cures it completely.........for about a month max! Cushings affects the immune system, and the immune system controls this demodectic mange on ALL dogs, but it can't keep it under wraps with a dog with cushings in SOME cases, so definitely ask them about that one, because that will be expensive and time consuming. Good luck, I hope you save him.
Thanks, I will pick their brains .just not sure how accurate they can be when he's in a kennel enviroment? I can cope with the odd accident ,but if it's all the time.. don't know ?
NicolaG
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-01-2011, 02:02 PM
Well, Morgan went in for her op this morning and the vet has just phoned my husband.

They have taken 2 biopsies from her bladder which was really inflamed and removed 2 marmary tumors, she seems to be doing well, we pick her up at 4pm.

She did so well last night, no peeing but when my husband pulled up outside the vets, she got nervous and peed all over his car

Poor old soul xx
EgyptGal
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-01-2011, 02:06 PM
Oh bless her, fingers crossed the results are ok x
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2011, 04:17 PM
Really hope Morgan is ok. xx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2011, 04:43 PM
Oh bless her heart pee'ing in dad's car!!! So glad she made it through the aneasthetic, and gave the vet the opportunity also of removing two mammory tumours, so let's hope that'll now be the end of those hospital visits, and she can live out her days painfree and enjoy her walks and family life again. Good luck with those results and let us know if you get time, I do hope it'll be good news for you after all she's been through.
NicolaG
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-01-2011, 04:57 PM
Thanks.

She's home from the vet but she wont get out the car She's pretty zonked out and very sore. It took my husband ages to get her in the car, he couldnt lift her because of all her stitches, she eventually managed it.

So, we've left her in the car just now with the heating on and blankets to keep her warm and we're checking on her ( car is in driveway 2 steps from door ) I just hope she makes in the house soon so i can look after her properly xx
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2011, 05:13 PM
Bless her, my GSD was a bit like that after her spay, it took a few of us to lift her in then she stumbled around the kitchen like a drunk before retiring to bed for the evening.
Could you maybe slip a blanket or something under her and the pair of you lift her out like on a sling/stretcher? Borrow a neighbour to help? I would leave her if you're worried you'll injure her but I bet she could get a bit more comfortable indoors if you can get her in.
NicolaG
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-01-2011, 05:26 PM
My husbands friend is coming up in an hour so if she hasnt managed to come in herself, they're going to get a single duvet and carry her in.

xx
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >