Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lessie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-01-2013, 10:56 PM

RAW vs Kibbles

Hi,

I'm doing a lot of research at the moment on dog foods, and RAW/Barf diets in particular.

I was taken back by some of the comments I've seen elsewhere, about kibbles.

I am still confused, and reading some of the comments have made me even more confused. As some of them were very bias.

Kibbles - What are the difference between decent kibbles and BARF?

*Decent Kibbles* 80/20 - Small independent company. Very clear with its ingredients.

So what is wrong with decent kibbles?

Is there any scientific evidence with regards to cooked ingredients - that are found in kibbles - and why they are not beneficial to dogs compared to Raw diets?

Even though there are no cereals, fillers, additives, unecessary ingredients.

I totally understand the benefits and how succesful BARF diets are. But I just don't understand why some people are against decent kibbles - the ones that people should be feeding on as opposed to typical economy ones.

It makes me feel really guilty reading some of these comments, as mine are on kibbles even though they are decent ones, and I thoroughly check the ingredients etc.

Surely few kibbles are healthy? What I don't understand is, majority of people that feed decent kibbles to their dogs, have great results - same as those that are fed on RAW. Clear & shiny coats. Smaller & firmer Poos. Clean Teeth & Breath is good. Surely Kibbles are not killers, as some people have stated. (Elsewhere)

So that's why I'm really confused at the moment, and not sure which direction to go.

Would be great to hear your views and advice.

Thank-you
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2013, 08:02 AM
I'm afraid you just have to develop a thick skin where this subject is concerned! There is absolutely nothing wrong with a good quality kibble as at least you know your dog is being fed a balanced diet with all the supplements needed for healthy growth.

However, I have no intention of getting into yet another raw/kibble debate as I feed my dogs the best food I can afford and that fits into my lifestyle which is what I assume other kibble feeders do!
SneaksyWhippet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-01-2013, 02:58 PM
I would also see nothing wrong with a good quality, natural kibble. The reasons I feed raw over a good kibble like this are:

1) I have a fussy eater who just doesn't like kibble.
2) I like to give them variety and sticking to one type of kibble doesn't allow this so much.
3) I like the idea of giving a more natural food than something heavily processed, and giving them a bit of a mental/physical workout with their meals.
4) It's cheaper for me to feed raw than a very good quality, grain free kibble.

If people want to feed kibble I would advise regarding cereals, meat content etc, but don't think there is anything wrong with people wanting to feed a good quality complete food if that's what suits them.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2013, 03:18 PM
It is a matter of personal choice. So please be at peace if you are happy and sit lightly on the nay sayers.

I don't like processed foods. Not for me, or for my critters. But there are times when I give kibble when eg I am unwell and have not been able to cook or get out. it is our emergency food.. and they are slow to eat it after their ususal fare

My dogs and cats love raw meat; I only give chicken as that is all I can afford. And bones.. collie is addicted to bones and to see her gnawing away happy for hours is a deep pleasure.

And I cook in the slow cooker; meat and veg and fruit and love doing that for them.

So I fit nowhere with any of the theories!

Am I bothered.... not at all..

So mine have a mixed diet and are fine.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-01-2013, 03:24 PM
Feed what suits you , your dog and your pocket, and ignore any negativity from others
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2013, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Feed what suits you , your dog and your pocket, and ignore any negativity from others
Couldn't agree any more with this.

People who are 'militant' on either side can go and ruddy do one though
lessie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-01-2013, 09:45 PM
Thanks guys, Definitely helped and put my mind to rest.

I also give my dogs, meat and vegs (occasionally fish) on a weekly basis. They love it, and never had any problems with this.

Was just surprised reading some comments about feeding dogs vegs. Personally I think its good for them, and causes no harm. Also its Better for them to eat/chew something natural such as carrots as opposed to dental treat that are full of gibberish IMO!!

I will just carry on feeding them like I usually do.

But I'd love to try raw meat sometime. But am worried, it is not suitable to offer this on a weekly basis?

I.e Monday and Friday - Raw day - other days kibbles/meat/vegs

Is this doable/possible without affecting their health/digestive system?
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2013, 05:59 AM
Originally Posted by EmmiS View Post
Couldn't agree any more with this.

People who are 'militant' on either side can go and ruddy do one though
Gets to be as fanatical as politics etc...
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2013, 06:02 AM
Originally Posted by lessie View Post
Thanks guys, Definitely helped and put my mind to rest.

I also give my dogs, meat and vegs (occasionally fish) on a weekly basis. They love it, and never had any problems with this.

Was just surprised reading some comments about feeding dogs vegs. Personally I think its good for them, and causes no harm. Also its Better for them to eat/chew something natural such as carrots as opposed to dental treat that are full of gibberish IMO!!

I will just carry on feeding them like I usually do.

But I'd love to try raw meat sometime. But am worried, it is not suitable to offer this on a weekly basis?

I.e Monday and Friday - Raw day - other days kibbles/meat/vegs

Is this doable/possible without affecting their health/digestive system?
Why are you worrying! These are dogs, Raw is natural and they love it of course. Try a raw chicken wing and yes raw bones are fine and good for them.

Mine get a mix that changes day by day depending on what I have in.

Why so many rules...
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2013, 06:16 AM
Food fascism is unattractive and not constructive; there is no need to be evangelical about feeding any diet, they have all been around for a long time.

Most dog owners do the best they can with the resources available to them and that is all anyone can ask for.

Yes you can feed both raw and processed foods at the same time and/or as well as each other.

Just as we can eat Pizza with salad.........
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >