Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pasiphae
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-02-2011, 03:58 PM

Kibbles that can be moistened best

Freckles is refusing to eat her kibble, we have tried different flavours but she wont touch it unless I've soaked it in water for a good hour before hand and then mix in a pouch of wet

Can anyone recommend a good kibble that moistens down quicker than JWB? Some thing like the the 2 in 1 that butchers/bakers/candlestick makers (you know what I mean I hope ) do that turns into a gravy might work. I Just don't know what to use for the best.

Any suggestions welcomed!!!!!

thanks

ps Freckles is 7 mths
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 04:07 PM
The fact that JWB doesn't moisten quickly or expand is a good thing

The more a food softens down and expands usually means it has less quality ingredients in.

Couldn't you just feed the JWB pouches? They are a complete food, so don't need anything added to them.

On the other hand....how long have you 'tried' to get her to eat it for? (e.g how long do you leave it down before adding food to it/swapping it)
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 04:11 PM
is the refusal a sudden thing or always been an issue?
pasiphae
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-02-2011, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by Kerriebaby View Post
is the refusal a sudden thing or always been an issue?
only had her 2 weeks....been like it all the time she's been here. She actually will not eat it dry....it can sit there for hours and she still wont touch it
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 04:19 PM
If the product you use does not meet your objectives without substantially changing it, ie by soaking and adding wet food, what point is there in using it?

Personally I do not believe dogs are fussy (they are animals that lick their own bottoms, enjoy the contents of nappies, garbage bins and will cheerfully consume putrefying flesh and the excrement of others.

so, barring a health issue, offer a choice, eg eat or starve.

If you believe that your puppy may die with this regime you could change her food to a good moist complete such as Natures Harevest.

Is she teething?

If you offer a lot of choice you create a fussy dog.
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by pasiphae View Post
only had her 2 weeks....been like it all the time she's been here. She actually will not eat it dry....it can sit there for hours and she still wont touch it
Smokeybear answered before I could!

If you are ahppy feeding a certain brand, and the dog is healthy (no teeth problems etc) then offer food 2x per day, 20mins, if not eaten, remove and offer at next meal time. She wont starve herself
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 04:30 PM
Try Pro Plan - its a good quality food & they like it. I always soak kibble even for adults. As with any change in food do it gradually over 3-5 days. Adding wet food helps give taste & variety. Wainwrights tray foods are good value and a good food. You could even try the Wainwrights kibble if you wanted to keep to same food. Its a food exclusive to Pets at Home
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 04:39 PM
I know she is still settling in at your home and that everything is new and bewildering to you both. What food did she eat her foster home?

If she is refusing food it might not be what you are offering her rather than it is all part of the settling in process.

Mt first dog hated dry food on it's own and I admit to adding wet food to it.Some of the complete foods ,such as Burns,have a wet food that can be used in conjunction. The amounts and substitutions are all on the product packets.

What I do now is to cut down the amount of kibble and use a small amount of wet food stirred through it .This goes down a treat. I have used a variety of kibbles and wet food including applaws,chappie,Burns and Nature Diet.I know some people do the same by adding tuna,pilchards etc.

Just remember though that this will be a permanent step.If you are totally committed to her having just a kibble then you will need to stick to your guns in the time food is offered for etc.....

If you do go down the wet kibble route make sure you are giving other good chew foods to help keep her teeth clean...
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 04:50 PM
Ifs its a puppy should be fed 4 small meals a day, are you sure your not giving to much and expecting the pup to eat it.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 04:56 PM
at 7 months?!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >