Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dan Hill
New Member!
Male 

01-09-2009, 02:40 PM

Carrying small items,treats etc.

Does anyone know of a REALLY NEAT way to carry small items on your dog? I find all back packs look clumsy. The small clip-ons for collars are neat but only take poobags. I want to have treats etc to hand but would like them to be on the dog if poss.

Any ideas? Similarly, does anyone know of a device to carry water ( not gallons of it !) on the dog? Just enoough to slake his thirst 'till we reach a stream or other water source.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2009, 03:41 PM
I use a little bag I got from Zooplus. It has a pocket for mobile phone, pocket for treats and room inside for po bags, house keys and a ball.

I don't think I'd want to make the dog carry the dog treats because I use them as a reward for recall - so I want to have them in my hand when the dog arrives if you see what I mean.

I have a camelback that I put on myself when we go for a long walk, I don't know if you could get one for a dog?

Sorry I wasn't much help there was I
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-09-2009, 03:44 PM
Don't mean to sound rude, but I'd be careful letting a daxie (if this is the dog you're talking about) carry much of anything, especially water. Not worth the risk of hurting their back.
Dan Hill
New Member!
Male 

02-09-2009, 08:29 AM
Thanks for your interest. I am looking at a bigger dog. I. have had wirehaired standards though for 36 years. They are much tougher than the other two types-or merely untrainable? ( That has probably torn it!) . I have farmed and my last one loved riding on the ATV. We still have one.

I've just seen a product advertised called Collar Caddy. It looks very neat but does anyone have one I see it is for dogs 12kilos up anyway. Dan
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2009, 08:32 AM
Why would you want your dog to carry stuff? That`s what pockets are for.
I`m a lot bigger than my dog - so I reckon I`m strong enough to carry what we need! Also, my dogs charge through mud, rivers, brambles etc.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2009, 08:37 AM
Had a look at that collar caddy.....not sure I like it.
Don't like the idea of my dog having more weight around it's neck.
Think it's a bit silly you have to buy refills for the water thing too! It doesn't carry water (like you wanted it to), just 'trays' to put the water in!
Just get a small backpack, or bum-bag and put the things in!
Water is quite heavy - even just enough for one drink!
Dan Hill
New Member!
Male 

02-09-2009, 10:32 AM
Hevvur-It DOES carry water. Not much looking at the pictures. I've now found the site and there is a Gallery.
It looks close to what I had in mind. I'm on Dartmoor and on a hot day I know my dog would love to have even an ounce or two of water. It does seem to hold the little things like treats and bags. Surely I'm not the only one that has put on a different jacket and then been embarrassed to find no bags? Does anyone know of anything else that is that neat? i.e. not a backpack. Many thanks to all of you for your interest. David
Petrina
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-09-2009, 12:28 PM
Why not just get a manbag? Wouldn't it just be easier to have a dog bag. I use a holster style belt bag.

I'd be concerned about any kind of weight round the neck of a small dog, and with a short legged wire haired I doubt any vet would think it's a good idea for then to carry either. It's not what they were bred for is it and I find it unnatrural.

I'm interested in why you want to get your dog to carry and why you can't do it yourself?
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2009, 02:40 PM
Are you on commission?! Only joking.. I don't like the idea of them either - is it really worth the extra stress on your dog or potential damage, just because it appears 'neat'? Unless the breed's been bred for that purpose, ie. carrying loads, I don't think it's worth dabbling with.
Dan Hill
New Member!
Male 

02-09-2009, 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by mse2ponder View Post
Are you on commission?! Only joking.. I don't like the idea of them either - is it really worth the extra stress on your dog or potential damage, just because it appears 'neat'? Unless the breed's been bred for that purpose, ie. carrying loads, I don't think it's worth dabbling with.
Thats' a NO then! Dan
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >