Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2011, 10:19 AM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
but why would you take your hard drive out of your computer only to slot it into this docking station which you then USB back into your computer???

i dont geddit
My computer developed a problem and I couldn't get into anything. As I wasn't sure if it was the hard drive breaking down or something else, I thought it would be good to try to access it from another computer before going out and buying another one. If it could be seen on another computer, that would have meant it wasn't the hard drive that was causing the problem, and my data would have been safe.
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

13-12-2011, 10:39 AM
@ Azz and anyone else interested. Here's a more detailed explaination of my backup strategy and how I used it while taking our main PC out for an upgrade. Warning! It's technical! http://www.mepiscommunity.org/node/1087
Azz
Administrator
Male 

13-12-2011, 04:26 PM
Glad you've got to the bottom of it Linda.

Rich - I use TimeMachine, just plug in and nothing to worry about. Hourly back-ups, daily backups etc.

Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
but why would you take your hard drive out of your computer only to slot it into this docking station which you then USB back into your computer???

i dont geddit
You plug it into a different computer - that way you can see if the HD is the problem or not.
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

13-12-2011, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Rich - I use TimeMachine, just plug in and nothing to worry about. Hourly back-ups, daily backups etc.
Yeah, I saw something about a similar app called Back In Time which I might investigate. I think it'll do snapshotting over the network. On the other hand I might still have a go at putting together my own solution, just for the giggles.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3