Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2005, 09:23 PM

Red Siberian Husky

Hi,

I've always loved husky's and desperately wanted one when we were looking into buying our dog four years ago. Unfortunately, as the dog was mainly for my brother, he got the final choice and we ended up going for a black lab (who i adore!! ).
Anyway, I still really want one of these dogs and although i wouldn't be able to get one for at least a couple of years i was wondering if anyone on here could give me any information about them. I've searched for information online and so far i've found out that they can be very hard to train (they dont come back when you call them apparently so often must be kept on leads) and when you can find a breeder, they are extremely expensive!!
As the topic title says, i want a red husky rather than the "normal" ones. I love those as well, but the red ones are just beautiful!! Does anyone know how much these cost and how available they are over here?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Jessica
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-02-2005, 09:25 PM
I think Sibelover on here has a red/white husky
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2005, 10:03 PM
they are stunning dogs but i have heard they are hard work
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2005, 10:09 PM
I don't think people realise HOW HARD!!
They are not recommended to be let run off lead,can have problems with anaesthetics and can also be prone to digestive problems.
SibeLuver03
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-02-2005, 01:02 AM
Oh oh oh! I have a red and white girl! Kieron is the most beautiful dog I have ever seen, and that's not just because she is mine. Red and white Siberians are so unique. When people think of huskies, they mostly picture grays or blacks. But usually people never even think of huskies as being red. Heck, we can't forget the piebalds or solid whites, though! They're all beautiful.

If you ever get, you'd best make sure you are ready to dedicate your entire life to it. A husky puppy is a mad dog, it must have attention with the family at all times and can really never be left alone. A husky puppy and a house with no one to watch it is trouble.

When your puppy grows old enough, it MUST be run EVERYDAY, rain or shine. If you don't like getting wet and muddy in order to take your husky for a run, don't get one.

Yes, huskies are to never be let off lead if you cannot trust it 100%. See, they have minds of their own and like all dogs, choose what they want to do, not what you tell them.

What is different about Siberian huskies and other Northern breeds is that when they are loose off lead and you are chasing them, they won't run around you in a giant wide circle. They'll run in a straight line forever and ever. A GR might get away from you and if not trained right, might run a circle around you and possibly get close enough to you for you to jump and grab its collar. Not a husky. When you're chasing a husky, its already 5 miles ahead of you within 10 seconds. I'm not kidding.

Kieron got away from me once and was a mile away within 2 minutes. I had jumped in my car and sped down the road she ran and found her exactly 1 mile away playing with another dog. Luckily she was ready for me to catch her.

But, huskies aren't all that bad. They're are so beautiful and friendly. Oh yeah, and they're friendly. Did I mention they are friendly? If you're looking for a guard dog, a husky isn't the way to go. Nope, my huskies would let a mass murderer inside the house and would greet him with kisses and licks, even if I was in danger. That is how friendly a husky is. Some aren't, but the majority are friendly. They have to be, they were bred to get along with people and other dogs.

Um, I can tell you so many stories and answer probably just about any question you have. Ask away, I'll be glad to answer or just provide you with some experiences I have had as a Siberian husky owner.

Just to show you my babies, here are some pictures of my Sibes!

So there are Kieron and Houdini, my black boy. The white dog in the above picture is Jake, Kieron's boyfriend. Also, he is Houdini's dad. =) Ain't he a beaut?

Well, like I said, I'll be glad to give you any information you want reguarding Siberian huskies. Hopefully in the future you decide to get one, they are great friends. But be sure you think it through.

Oh yeah, prices. If a breeder is asking so much money for a Sibe puppy that your eyes buldge out, it isn't worth it. Here in the USA, a Siberian husky puppy will be sold for about $200-$250. I don't know how much that is in pounds, surely not to much difference. =) Glad you are interested in the breed!

-Tara
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2005, 07:45 AM
Yep, it's the 30mph in a straight line that is the problem, they may well come back when hungry but will have crossed dozens of roads by then and would be very lucky to get away with that. Other northern dogs can be trained to a reasonable standard but you have to risk that one off time when they will see a rabbit and be struck deaf by concentration on the prey. Must say I prefer the grey ones, wonder why
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2005, 12:32 PM
Kieron is SO beautiful!!! I am very very jealous!!lol I had read about them running in a straight line.. I guess you have to be very careful with them.

Exercising them rain or shine is no problem as i have a horse so am used to doing that anyway. I also have a field for the horse which is very long so the dog could run up and down there as much as it liked as it would never be able to get out!

That price seems very good for a husky - I guess that would be about £100! I was told, for a red one, to be looking at more like £1000!!!

As i said, i wouldn't be able to get one for a couple of years but its best to research these things first!! I still definately want one, probably even more so after seeing and hearing about your Kieron!! Im in love!lol Thanks for answering my questions and posting those pictures!! I know who to ask next time i have a question
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2005, 01:57 PM
Oh what beautiful dogs; really really stunning. I LOVE huskies. We met one being trained by an elderly lady and she (the husky!) was so gorgeous.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2005, 07:53 PM
All Huskies I have seen advertised are around £250 plus for non KC registered pups and £450 to £600 plus for KC registered pups the more expensive are normally ones that are registered and from parents that have had health tests done etc (and rightly so)...But I have never seen any for £100!

Your field sounds a good place to let it run free. You are making a good start by doing your research.

Sibelover have you ever let yours run free since that scary episode? If not do you have lots of land to run them free? I think if I had them I would have to take up mushing so that they could run for long distances but still be attatched!
SibeLuver03
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-02-2005, 11:17 PM
Red huskies really aren't rare or anything, don't be fooled into thinking you should pay more money than a black, gray, or solid white. Reds are gorgeous and people seem to recognize that, but they are no better than the other beautiful colors. Heck, here in the US, people drool of solid white huskies, believing they look more "wolf" like. =( So solid white Sibes are poorly bred and sold at high prices, tricking the buyers. It's so sad.

Myschievous, yes, Kieron is still allowed to run around. Here, I'll help you up off the floor now. =) Yeah, since that episode I've worked harder and harder with her. But the key is to never let her out of my sight. We do have land for her to run, but not much.

For me, to get Kieron and Houdini's exercise in I harness them up and take a couple leashes and get on my bike and hang on for dear life. I really enjoy it, I'm just out for the ride because they do all the work, pulling me and stuff. Except for hills, hills they have to have help. =)

Sorry, I'm blabbing on and on, I just like huskies so much!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >