Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-08-2017, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
OK I know I'm always banging on about this but of course Max sees you three 'as a unit'

You could have used the word 'pack'

However one describes it, the fact is that dogs are social creatures and have a deep inbuilt desire to 'join a pack' so you ask "Why" and the answer is simple, a big pack is a strong pack so the bigger the better.

But each dogs physical size within the pack does not matter, your little cockerpoo might have the 'leader' gene and will want to boss Max around (In the way humans don't often understand) He (or should that be she ?) might exhibit some 'dominance' behavior, that is all about dog heirachy (another thing many humans don't understand)

I can't see any problems in fact I would say your new 'pack' (i.e. you, your wife, Max, and the new dog) will get along fine.

Having said that, if the opportunity to have the new dog for a few days arises then why not. Is the new dog male or female ? is it much younger ? Healthy ?

Go for it
Brenda is right. There is a lot to think about. But mainly how Max would react. He is a really good-natured dog and gets along with other people and dogs.

We came across a bunch of kids on their bikes this evening and they all know Max. Max trotted back and forth from one to the other his tail going like a demented rudder.

The Cockapoo is a little older than Max and also a neutered male. When we have met him and his owner in the park they galloped around together like juvenile delinquents obviously comfortable with each other.

I think first we have to walk them together. One step at a time...
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

18-08-2017, 08:42 PM
Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
I think first we have to walk them together. One step at a time...
If the cockerpoo is a bit older than Max he will (probably) be the natural 'leader' and Max will adopt the 'support' role.

Also good that they are both neutered.

If you do some longish walks you'll soon see how the relationship develops.

Good luck.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-08-2017, 09:29 PM
If the cockerpoo is a bit older than Max he will (probably) be the natural 'leader' and Max will adopt the 'support' role.

Also good that they are both neutered.

If you do some longish walks you'll soon see how the relationship develops.

Good luck.
Thank you. The age difference isn't much. Around a few months.

I think Max would still be the leader. He just gets along with other dogs and will stare down any that seem less than friendly. Regardless of size. That stance.....
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-08-2017, 04:47 AM
Sometimes I need to give myself a kick up the bum. I used to think we had the best dog on the planet. I'm wrong. He is the best dog in the universe.

Jokingly, I said to my dear wife the other day "Why does he keep following me around? Does he think he's a dog??"

Ever so slightly more seriously, would I compromise that bond if we brought in a new member? I'm inclined to think not.

Yesterday we bumped into a bunch of kids. They all know Max and he gave them attention. Or got attention.
"Max, let's go."
And we strolled on.

I'm confident with Max, He is a sharp cookie. Collies are. I just don't know how he would put up with another dog in his mansion.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2017, 08:38 AM
Exactly Besoeker would Max tolerate another dog in his space for any length of time. Outside is a different world. Inside another matter. I had multiple dogs in my house so another didn't make much difference to the household but one on its own that has ruled the roost so to speak may not like another taking over some of the space. Who knows, each individual person's house is different and the training, that may be the wrong word, so change it to, getting along with each other may make more sense. Good Luck if you go with it but think carefully which I know you will do.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2017, 11:55 AM
I had a dog who was like Max. We were besotted with each other. The biggest mistake I ever made was bringing a new dog into the mix. While my bond with Sam didn't alter (nor his bond with me), he tolerated Jade rather than liked her. It made me feel bad about bringing her in even though I loved her dearly.

When Jade died (cancer at the age of 11), Sam looked (and I know I'm anthropomorphising) relieved.

Hence why I think it a good idea to have a 'trial run' if at all possible
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-08-2017, 08:01 PM
I think the trial won't happen. We called at the house and offered to take the dog for a walk with Max."I walked him at a park" the name of which I didn't know. The odd thing is that Max strolled in and there was no sign of the little dog. I found that strange. Something didn't gel.

At least we tried.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

21-08-2017, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
the name of which I didn't know. The odd thing is that Max strolled in and there was no sign of the little dog. I found that strange. Something didn't gel.
Yes that is strange, how well did you know the owner

Maybe it's somebody who changes their mind frequently, they are not people who I like to deal with, in fact I try to avoid such types, they live in a 'wanna be' world where things revolve around them and not the other (correct) way around
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-08-2017, 10:02 PM
Yes that is strange, how well did you know the owner

Maybe it's somebody who changes their mind frequently, they are not people who I like to deal with, in fact I try to avoid such types, they live in a 'wanna be' world where things revolve around them and not the other (correct) way around
How well? Maybe not so much. She was/is quite sociable. Or maybe.
She doesn't walk her dog so it's getting fat from lack of exercise. We got the impression that it might benefit from bolting around with Max. We tried. And we don't know all the circumstances. Life moves on.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2