Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sigma69pi
New Member!
Male 

09-07-2017, 11:55 PM

Bichon Shih Tzu fly biting

Indy is a 5 year old bichon shih tzu. She is very mild mannered and shows no sign of any issues. She is attentive and loving.

This week something weird has happened. She seems to be seeing things that are not there and will nip at them. It is like there is something flying and she is trying to catch it. It will catch her attention and she will lunge at it trying to catch it. However, she is not so entranced that she will not stop. I can call her name and she will come without hesitation.

There has been no change in her behavior and she is still as excited to be around us all the time.

I have posted a video of her to try and get a real look at it.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2017, 08:34 AM
The only thing I can suggest is have her ears checked and maybe take off the thing that she is wearing when indoors. She is obviously reacting to something that you can's see or hear. It could be vibration or noise activity in the air. Or small gnats that are around in the summer. Does she do it when no-one is near her? I ask because maybe the person sitting next to her is making a sound, involuntarily, like sucking through the teeth.
Sue L
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2017, 08:39 AM
It could be a medical problem have you taken her to the vets?
Sigma69pi
New Member!
Male 

10-07-2017, 06:08 PM
The vet can't see her until Wednesday afternoon l.

Ugh!!!!
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2017, 08:24 PM
It certainly looks like she's following something she sees as she follows it with her eyes. Does she 'run away' each time it happens as she did in the video?

Always rule out medical problems to be ultra sure because many issues can cause some really strange behaviour. If you have the video on a portable device, I'd take it along to show the vet. It may help him/her to see what is happening
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-07-2017, 10:22 PM
Does she always face the same way when she does this, it could be something with that ear that is causing it like a buzzing sound,
Sigma69pi
New Member!
Male 

11-07-2017, 02:01 AM
That is the crazy part. She will do it in all directions. Even towards the floor. It seems random.

As for running away, she heard something in the other room. We have a house full of kids.

It seemed a little less today and it doesn't seem to interrupt her sleep.

I will post back with the vet feedback.
Sigma69pi
New Member!
Male 

12-07-2017, 02:18 AM
I took Indy to the vet today. They checked her eyes and I showed them the video. It was their opinion that there is a small cataract on her right eye. It "could" be that.

I could take her to an optometrist for pets, but it wasn't recommended at this time.

The fact that Indy was not entranced and attention could be drawn away at any time pointed away from neurological problems or seizures.

So, I will keep watching her and we will see how it goes.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2017, 05:32 PM
I wonder if like humans dogs get "floaters" in their eyes?
If so it could be something like this. They are very annoying and would drive anyone nuts.