Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2012, 02:43 PM

New Menu

Now I have my Berriewoods delivery, I've changed my menu around as I have more variety. I have a set weekly menu as it makes things easier if my mum needs to feed him, it sometimes get changed or supplemented with new things.

I used to split his liver and pig pluck across the week but he seems to tolerate it fine so I'm going to try giving him all his offal in one go (less bagging up!). RMBs are usually chicken wings/quarters/carcasses or pig trotters.

He gets 250g for breakfast and 1lb for dinner.

Mon: 250g heart or gizzards, 1lb beef mince
Tues: 200g liver & a chicken wing, 1lb turkey mince
Weds: 250g of pig pluck and kidney, 1lb lamb mince
Thurs: 250g RMBs, 1lb chicken mince
Fri: 250g oily fish & an egg, 250g beef chunks and 150g white fish
Sat: 250g RMBs, 1lb tripe chunks
Sun: 250g Eco mince, half a whole rabbit.

Does it sound ok?
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2012, 05:26 PM
I think it sounds like a lot of food changes in a week, but then that's probably because of the way my dog is/how I feed. If he tolerates eating this way and it suits all of you, then I cant see anything wrong with it (assuming the minces include bone)
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2012, 08:01 PM
I think the poultry mince have a little bone, but I only feed 10% bone, which is 490g a week. So with 500g of RMB plus the half a rabbit, he should be getting a bit more than enough bone.

Cain's got guts of steel on raw I don't think the variety will bother him, he's familiar with all the meats, he'll just be getting lamb and turkey on a more regular basis. The menu actually isn't vastly different to what he was getting before in terms of variety.

I was a bit worried about giving him all his liver in one go and other offal in one go, that's the only major change really but it had better be ok as I just spent 2 hours bagging everything up
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2012, 08:07 PM
Just if anyone was interested, his previous menu was

Mon: heart and chicken mince
Tues: lamb & tripe mince, liver and 2 chicken wings
Weds: White fish and pig pluck, chicken mince
Thurs: tripe chunks, RMB
Fri: oily fish & egg, beef chunks and kidney
Sat: chicken mince, liver and 2 chicken wings
Sun: Eco mince, half rabbit

Really I've just shifted the liver together, the other offal together and ended up having to put at the fish together.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2012, 08:09 PM
I'm sure he'll be fine, it says your giving a chicken wing with his liver meal anyway, so I'd think he'd be OK with that. Time will tell!

Loui will be going half dry and half raw as of either Monday night or Tuesday morning, so I'm hoping and praying that goes well, fingers crossed.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2012, 08:18 PM
It's funny, Cain literally has guts if steel on raw but was plagued by colitis on kibble I hope you find something that suits Loui
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2012, 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
It's funny, Cain literally has guts if steel on raw but was plagued by colitis on kibble I hope you find something that suits Loui
theres been SUCH a big difference in Loui with the Colitis, cysts, everything since he went on raw, but its just circumstances just now, I dont plan on keeping him 50/50 for longer than I need to or moving him onto commercial foods if I dont have to. He does really well on raw but I suppose its partly that Im nervous of giving any quick changes (such as in the one day) even with raw, just because if he takes a turn for the worse he can go downhill so quickly. Even on raw I notice a bit of a difference in poos (like a little loose/blood) if I chop and change too much, so I tend to keep him on the same stuff now for at least a day to let it get through his system...so I will be going slow with introducing the dry food too.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2012, 12:38 PM
Out of interest what do you order from berriewoods? I'm looking at them because They do the free flow minced mine seem to like, and I think it's cheaper than natural instinct to feed.

Do you get all your bones and offal from The supermarkets? I would go to a butcher and see what I could have but it's a bit of a pain with small dogs because of what they can eat in one meal.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2012, 01:25 PM
From Berriewoods I got

Chicken/turkey/lamb/beef mince
Tripe chunks
Beef chunks
Heart
Turkey necks
White fish
Chicken wings (works out cheaper than supermarket)

I wouldn't order the white fish or turkey necks again, too small for Cain, but probably fine for cresties. Berriewoods also sell poultry liver but Cain only likes ox liver

From the Dog Food Company I get
Whole rabbits
Eco mince (offal)
Pig pluck
Ox liver
Chicken quarters
Lamb ribs (much cheaper than supermarket!)
Chicken carcass

From the supermarket I get extra for variety and I rely on Morrisons for kidneys and trotters. I get
Chicken wings/quarters if I need a top up
Pig trotters
Pig kidney
Ox kidney
Pork ribs
Oily fish
White fish
Eggs

I just got a load in from everywhere so hopefully won't need to do much now for a few months. HTH
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2012, 01:36 PM
Thanks for that Im trying to shop around, and DAF is out after they wouldn't touch it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >