View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2011, 08:44 AM
The thought behind it is that a well-fitting teeshirt can give an anxious dog a sense of security.

I suppose it could be described as a 'portable hug' that is always there while the dog is wearing the shirt.

Of course, as with all things dog, works for some, but has little or no effect on others. On saying that, I've seen some wonderful turn-arounds in dogs displaying nervous tension/anxiety which has kick-started rehab
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-08-2011, 09:52 AM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
The thought behind it is that a well-fitting teeshirt can give an anxious dog a sense of security.

I suppose it could be described as a 'portable hug' that is always there while the dog is wearing the shirt.

Of course, as with all things dog, works for some, but has little or no effect on others. On saying that, I've seen some wonderful turn-arounds in dogs displaying nervous tension/anxiety which has kick-started rehab
I think things like body wraps and tee shirts also have the effect of distracting the dog from whatever is bother them, it gives the something else to focus on .

Many years ago when looking after post operative dogs with stomach stitches I looked around for something to cover the wounds and to protect the stitches. I decided to use pieces cut from rolls of stockinette cotton dishcloths which could be boiled to prevent infection. I noticed the dogs were calmer while wearing the 'cloth shirts' and attributed this to the fact the dog was wearing something strange which occupied their attention. Perhaps there was an element of security giving 'portable hug' too
peanutbutter16
New Member!
Female 

27-08-2011, 10:53 AM
I know, I trust Luna completely not to bite me. I had desensitized her to hugs by restraining her while I fed her her kibble, so she knows I am not threataining her myself but I can see that she could feel like I am holding her prisoner.
If I had her between my legs (as I have done in the past when she is lunging at another dog) she hates that and will panic. I don't hug her often but when I do it usually calms her down slightly. I can see it giving another dog a panic attack though.

A t-shirt, that is brilliant! I will have to try that next time we go for a walk at dog "rush hour"
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2011, 11:05 AM
Just a thought and I am probably well off mark, here but we hear so often about ignoring dogs that are worried by thunder etc, because stroking them, talking to them etc merely reinforces the behaviour.
So isn't hugging them going to do the same thing?
Pepsi is more or less bomb proof so it doesn't really apply but I did once have a dog that I would have loved to have hugged but I didn't think it was the right thing to do.

As I say, just a thought
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2011, 11:22 AM
Nippy - I too struggle whether comforting a dog is a reward / reinforcement or not...

With my dog, she is very nervous - I do not like to reinforce the fear by rewarding it through touching, stroking etc.

However, sometimes, removing her and paying her attention helps her to take her focus off what is bothering her. If I invite her on the sofa when something is scaring her she will stop barking, and relaxes much quicker. If I leave her to live it out, she will get herself more and more wound up - which in itself is reinforcing (I am scared - Item = scary).
Distraction is a good technique as then you are asking for a new and different behavior - but sometimes she is too wound up for that.

Each dog is different and you have to look at what works for you.

If hugging your dog makes her relaxed around things that are normally adversive for her then that is in a way
recondidtioning how she feels around the stimulus.

A T-shirt might be a good idea, as it's not a direct contact and may help her to feel more secure. Pressure wraps have shown to reduce anxiety in some cases
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2011, 03:25 PM
Awww look at Pereg in her t shirt, so sweet I think it needs to be a little smaller though, to work it needs to be a secure snug fit (but not tight).

I agree with the thoughts of hugging potentially being reinforcing, which is why thundershirts and body wraps ate a better option IMO.

I use a body wrap on Cain, unsure if it's helping him yet but it's not doing any harm so we're giving it a go
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-08-2011, 03:44 PM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
Awww look at Pereg in her t shirt, so sweet I think it needs to be a little smaller though, to work it needs to be a secure snug fit (but not tight).

I agree with the thoughts of hugging potentially being reinforcing, which is why thundershirts and body wraps ate a better option IMO.

I use a body wrap on Cain, unsure if it's helping him yet but it's not doing any harm so we're giving it a go
Actually it is not her teeshirt - it was my son's, twenty-six years ago, hence the Pink Floyd print on it It used to be black but it has faded with age! I just grabbed it this morning to see if she would let me put it on her.

[and I really really really must replace that rug as it is so badly stained]
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2011, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
Just a thought and I am probably well off mark, here but we hear so often about ignoring dogs that are worried by thunder etc, because stroking them, talking to them etc merely reinforces the behaviour.
So isn't hugging them going to do the same thing?
Pepsi is more or less bomb proof so it doesn't really apply but I did once have a dog that I would have loved to have hugged but I didn't think it was the right thing to do.

As I say, just a thought
I don't tend to subscribe to the theory of ignoring a worried dog. However, reassurance should be calm and not the 'oh dear, oh dear' sympathising type of interaction.

TTouch is very successful with many thunder/firework phobic dogs. TTouch, as the name suggests, involves touch and not ignoring
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-08-2011, 06:05 PM
I agree - it is difficult to ignore a worried dog. I once had a collie who was petrified of fireworks and would try to dig holes in the settee to hide away. Best thing for him was to sit with him, cuddle him and let him bury himself in the cushions with his head and shoulders dug in behind my back.
A while ago I got a training book from the library - 100 ways to solve your dog's problems - My puppy chewed it up (so I had to buy what was left of it ) It describes the use of TTouch to calm a dog. The different names for the types of touching/stroking - Llama, Chimp, Clouded Leopard, Raccoon, Python etc. were a bit "affected" and strange I thought, but the idea behind it was quite interesting. I can't see how it would work for a problem with re-call though, but it recommended Clouded Leopard and Chimp Touch for chewing problems, so I'll have to try it
GirondeDeb
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-08-2011, 08:26 AM
I have a nervous dog, and have found (through trial and error) that leaning against her, and keeping a hand on her, whilst talking to her in a calm but positive way is the best way to help her through the trauma. Ignoring her makes her worse, and over-fussing can too.

I have just got a Ttouch book, and I'm probably not doing it very well, but I've already found that the circling down the ear-flaps (not sure what the wierd Ttouch name for that is) is very calming to both my dogs.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >